Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was disappointed to read that CarPlay requires the phone to be physically plugged into a USB port; it seems like a massive step backwards after being used to Bluetooth and keeping my phone in my pocket! I have read that it may be possible to use CarPlay via wifi in the future, but will the Astra K get this with a firmware upgrade? Or will it be on future models only?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've not seen any Vauxhall/Opel announcement about CarPlay over WiF/Bluetoothi but I think a Apple only introduced it last autumn with iOS 9. Car manufacturers take time to do things so hopefully we'll see a free update soon, but don't hold your breathe.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I will check today, but as far as I know you can still play music from your phone via Bluetooth. It's just the added functionality that you won't have (I.e access to the various apps via the car screen)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'd expect you can use Siri via Bluetooth without connecting the USB cable. You won't see the text or CarPlay display without the cable but it should work. I use it all the time with my old Sony Bluetooth stereo for making phone calls, sending texts, playing music and podcasts etc. It just works automatically with the phone in my pocket and connects automatically without needing to press any buttons.

In the morning I can be playing my iPhone through our kitchen speakers, step out to the car and it just carries on through the car speakers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd like to refer you over to this article:

http://9to5mac.com/2016/01/08/vw-wireless-carplay/

Car manufacturers that support CarPlay are currently focusing on the Wired experience to get things started.

VW attempted to demonstrate wireless CarPlay in one of their models at CES2016 but were blocked by Apple. So clearly even though the software is in our phones Apple aren't fully happy yet with unleashing it on car manufacturers.

On the positive side Apple stated that the 'protocol is out there' and it's up to partners (car manufacturers) to use it. I imagine it will appear through a software update carried out either via OnStar or in a dealership. I also expect it to only work through OnStar's WiFi connectivity and not via bluetooth. In addition it will absolutely destroy your phones battery life so ultimately it may end up being more convenient to plug in and charge whilst you go.

The great thing about CarPlay & OnStar with the new Astra is the potential for easy software updates over OnStar or in a dealership are higher than any car Vauxhall have ever produced. This is a car for which the Infotainment system will only continue to become better as the vehicle gets older.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
ArcanumFox said:
This is a car for which the Infotainment system will only continue to become better as the vehicle gets older.
This quote is 3 years old, and i must say that until now, that does simply not seem to be the case.

Vauxhall (In reality LG) has fixed some bugs but not really added any new features to the radio and all firmware upgrading is still being done at the dealer, at the buyers expense. Firmware releases seem to be about a year apart and as said, mainly fixes bugs.

I wish your comment would have been right, but it seems that it's not the case, sadly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts