Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm just curious about the stop/start system fitted to the Astra K. I've not had a car with it personally but my dad has it in his van.
I'm just curious as to when it will and won't stop the engine when in neutral.
In my dads van he noticed in winter that the engine didn't cut out when stopped at traffic lights. I noticed that the heated windscreen was on and as soon as he turned it off, the engine when into stop mode.
I'm just wondering if it's the same on the Astra k?
For instance, will the engine stay on when the air con is on or if the heated seats age on? Also how long will the engine typically stay off before needing to restart?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
From the manual

The stop-start system checks if each of the following conditions is fulfilled.

The stop-start system is not manually deactivated.
The bonnet is fully closed.
The driver's door is closed or the driver's seat belt is fastened.
The vehicle battery is sufficiently charged and in good condition.
The engine is warmed up.
The engine coolant temperature is not too high.
The engine exhaust temperature is not too high, e.g. after driving with high engine load.
The ambient temperature is above -5 °C.
The climate control system allows an Autostop.
The brake vacuum is sufficient.
The self-cleaning function of the diesel particle filter is not active.
The vehicle was driven at least at walking speed since the last Autostop.
Otherwise an Autostop will be inhibited.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Following up on that bit about the climate control allowing an autostop, my Astra J will no go into autostop if the airflow direction settings are set at upwards only. If you have another option, such as towards the feet, also selected then the autostop will engage. I've also found that if the temperature is below 5 degrees and you have the airflow going up towards the windscreen, even if you have another direction selected the autostop will not engage. So basically, if there are conditions that the software thinks implies that the windscreen will mist up it will not allow autostop to engage. That may be different with the Astra K though,

·
Registered
47 Posts
richard2k84 said:
I've noticed in traffic the start stop not working, but if you turn the air con off then the heaters off it will kick in. With air con being off you can turn the heaters on again and the engine will stay off.
I find that if I have a high rate of discharge from the battery stop/start will not function, ie heater,fan,rear demist, switch them off it works fine

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
I find my engine (1.6 cdti) stops straight away (after driving off) even when cold. The only time is does not enter stop start is when a regen (dpf regeneration) is taking place, drivers door is open, fan speed is selected high or the front windscreen demist is selected. Also if the engine restarts but you don't drive forward then it would not stop again.

If you turn off the fan and front windscreen demist is selected then it will cut the engine if stopped. If you turn on your fan and this turns on the a/c or front window demist the engine would restart if stopped, however if a/c is already on while driving the engine will still stop. With the rear window demist this has no affect on start stop. When the engine stops it also stops the rear window demist.

The engine will stay in a stop condition for about 4 or 5 minutes. If the air con is selected or its a hot day it will be less.

·
Registered
349 Posts
There are some fixed conditions as listed, but the biggest variable is the level of charge that the battery has at that moment in time, and how much you are loading the battery with ancillaries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts