Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys n gals just a quick one been to a hand wash yesterday and today noticed the chem they use on your wheels has marked mine white so ive ordered some 19mm red ones off ebay but as a temp painted mine with power red what do u think

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Looking at the marking, I'd say that they have used an acid based cleaner which has damaged the paint on the wheel nut covers. It's always best to use a PH neutral cleaner on your wheels and to be careful of carwashes.... you never know what they are going to use on your vehicle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same opinion as dreyp acid attack . Personally I don't use them all there for is to part you with your cash. It won't be long before your paint work looks like a cobweb as well ,do it yourself it's much more satisfying. Nut covers go well in red.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is common with Car Washes that use particularly strong wheel acid. The plastic nut covers are very cheap to replace so don't worry. The time to worry is if the acid starts peeling away your alloy wheel metal as this is a known concern for some Insignia's. I would advise avoiding that Car Wash in future and clean the wheels yourself.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Like your wheel nut covers.i usually do this on all my cars and will on my Astra.The only thing is I'm trying to find is the size.Not sure if the SRI 17inch wheels have 19mm Nut covers on.Anyone know the correct size.Ill purchase a whole set so I can put the original ones back on when time comes to sell

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Sorry, not sure about the red nut covers, probably the only body colour that would significantly stand out. I think you would be wasting your time if you had Emerald!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Word of advice if you must take your car to a car wash get them to clean the car but get them to leave the wheels alone, normally the spray the wheels 1st going round, then just take 20mins cleaning it yourself that way u protect your precious wheels :roll:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just got mine back from service and the dealer has managed to damage the nut covers in the same way. When I pointed it out they have at least agreed to replace the caps, but wasn't best pleased. Thing is they'd done a poor job of washing the wheels anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Same thing here I'm afraid, I'm just glad it's the plastic nut covers and not my alloys! Going to buy another set on Amazon, just to check it's defo 19mm for SRI?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing here happened after car wash, wheel caps went white. :eek:
Also noticed it's damaged the centre caps with the griffin logo, they are pitted and it's took the shine off them. Does anyone know what size these are. I have 18" wheels on VX-Line Nav.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Something else I've just noticed this week. With a little rain one morning blowing in the wind towards the front brake callipers. They are starting to show surface rust already. This looks like it has taken off the coating. :eek: :oops:

·
Registered
54 Posts
VX_turbolad said:
Same thing here happened after car wash, wheel caps went white. :eek:
Also noticed it's damaged the centre caps with the griffin logo, they are pitted and it's took the shine off them. Does anyone know what size these are. I have 18" wheels on VX-Line Nav.
Hello, looking to replace my centre caps for aesthetic reasons, I was told they were 60mm for the 18" VX Line alloy centre caps so bought them...they didn't fit at all; way too big. I looked on eBay for Astra K VX Line centre caps and most results seemed to be 53.5mm - can anyone confirm?

THanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts