Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read in the forum about the Watts Linkage in the rear suspension being removed from the latest production models. I had a look under my car and discovered I also have no Watts Linkage. I was rather annoyed about this. Having read almost every review available of the New Astra before purchasing my car, the majority of motoring writers thought that the handling of the new Astra was a great improvement mainly due to its set up and the Watts Linkage It was a factor that influenced me as the demonstrator and the showroom car both had the Watts linkage suspension.
Now these motoring journalists have voted the New Astra "Car of the year 2016" and no doubt the Watts Linkage contributed to be vote count.
So now Vauxhall/Opel have decided to remove the Watts Linkage now they have this prestigeous award. I think this is a very underhand trick played on the car buyer in general very similar to the Volkswagen scandal.
So where do we stand as a purchaser of the New Astra ? I have read the New Astra brochure and no where does it mention Watts Linkage. So what will the General Motors say when customers complain. I think the answer is simple on the outside back cover of the brochure it says at the very top
" Trust Vauxhall" and no doubt in the very small print there will be clause to say something like "we reserve the right to change the specification etc etc.
However I think this removal of the WattsLlinkage is a big change and should have been communicated to customers before purchase.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It is still on some variants, mainly the more powerful ones. I read a lot of positive roadtests of the 1.0 before I bought mine, and that engine has never had the watts link. Which model have you got?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thats what i was saying :) GM lured everyone with a better car then it is offering now to get all the good reviews and titles. After that they just tricked the customers and cut the cost :) Doubt anyone can do anything other then just not buy it, well, u can also try to press dealership of they had listed watts in the contract (mine did)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I didn't know anything about any of the cars having a watts link, until someone posted that it had been deleted. I haven't noticed any undue noise from the suspension on my car, and I'm guessing mine is the same as is now being fitted to the 150bhp.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think there is a point in that it seems dealers for whatever reason haven't been letting customers know that the spec of the car has changed, especially if they've given the customer a test drive in a car fitted with the watts link and acoustic pack. I guess I was lucky in that the car I bought was exactly the same spec as the one I test drove, in fact it was the one I test drove.

G

·
I had no idea about the watts linkage either. I like the car and it's still a very good one, so I'm happy. I test drove the 1.0 which felt great and didn't have any weird noises so all good as far as I'm concerned. It's not as if they've changed the entire set up.

Would I have preferred to have a bit more sound proofing and watts linkage for no extra money? Probably. It's not a deal breaker for me though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Vauxhall have form for this. Visit the a Mokka forum and search for BOSE and have a read of all the angry posts.

I'd never heard of Watts linkage do I can't say it's an issue for me, but I can understand why if you were expecting it you're not going to be happy with it being removed.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Kristis said:
So they tricked people with Bose too? :)
Hi

I have to ask if your not happy with Opel / Vauxhall and what they have done with the specification of the new Astra why arn't you taking it up directly with them instead of complaining on a forum that they are unlikely to read?

I have had a couple of issues with my car one of which has now been corrected by my dealer and the other is waiting for Vauxhall to find a solution. Unless you discuss your issues with them directly absolutely nothing will change.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
106 Posts
They are unlikely to change anything however much you complain. There will undoubtedly be a disclaimer in the small print as previously stated that allows them to change specifications. I doubt it's just vauxhall either.

G

·
Paulch said:
Kristis said:
So they tricked people with Bose too? :)
Hi

I have to ask if your not happy with Opel / Vauxhall and what they have done with the specification of the new Astra why arn't you taking it up directly with them instead of complaining on a forum that they are unlikely to read?

I have had a couple of issues with my car one of which has now been corrected by my dealer and the other is waiting for Vauxhall to find a solution. Unless you discuss your issues with them directly absolutely nothing will change.

Cheers

Paul
Spot on. If you were directly promised something by the dealer like the watts linkage then it's something for them to address and is understandable that you could be disappointed. However, Vauxhall/Opel must have a business case for removing it and haven't done it just for fun.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The Northumbrian said:
There will undoubtedly be a disclaimer in the small print as previously stated that allows them to change specifications.
You mean like this bit from the current price guide:

The right is reserved to alter specifications and prices, and withdraw products from sale, without notice.

And this from the brochure:

The Company reserves the right to alter specifications and withdraw products from sale without notice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes exactly! Knew there'd be one. It's a case of now you see it now you don't I'm afraid. They always seem to load new models with extras which get quickly withdrawn or else become no longer standard. Always good to get an order in early if you want all the options.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The Northumbrian said:
Yes exactly! Knew there'd be one. It's a case of now you see it now you don't I'm afraid. They always seem to load new models with extras which get quickly withdrawn or else become no longer standard. Always good to get an order in early if you want all the options.
LOL - there is always some small print somewhere to cover the company. Also, I don't believe (may be wrong on this) that they actually advertised the New Astra as coming with Watts Linkage.... at least I couldn't find anything in the brochure or price guide mentioning it.

It is a case of get in there early - it was like that with the GTC. Certain models came with the Electronic Parking Brake, but this was removed in the later models. Apparently there were problems with it, but also rumours that it was cost cutting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Copied from an Autocar review.

. At the rear, Vauxhall continues with its torsion beam, which, combined with a Watt's linkage, allows for more precise wheel control and a softer-bushed, more fluent ride than a standard beam axle would grant, without the necessary complexity and packaging intrusion of a fully independent rear end. The Watt's link itself is lighter than it was, and progressive-rate springs have been adopted. Altogether, 50kg has been savedfrom the car's rolling chassis.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts