Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive currently got a complaint ongoing with Vauxhall regarding the watts rear suspension and acoustic pack. Need the help of the forum to see if we can get anywhere with this. They added these features to ensure they get great reviews and win car of the year 2016. Now this has been successful they have scrapped it and left us in the dark.

Anyone who has any information on brochres or online promoting the watts suspension or acoustic pack i would appreciate it if you could post it on here. So far ive only got some review sites and the press release Vauxhall issued to the car reviewers and newspapers.

I will keep you all posted on the status and let you no what there response is. Worthwhile trying to see what poor answer they give.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just a thought...........

If the car is bought under finance, doesn't the Consumer Credit Act apply (in the UK) meaning that the finance companies are obliged to step in?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi just been reading about Watt Linkage and Acoustic Pack and as Iv got the 200bhp.it says its fitted to my car but.but I don't know what I'm looking for so Please if you can help that would be very helpful

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just picked mine :) Opel Lithuania was giving test drives in special event and promoting Watts as a selling point when compared to 1.0. We have test drives of 1.4T 150 and 1.0 just to show the Watts advantages :) Also it was in their main website (opel.lt) that they had it. But its now removed ant there is not a single mention of Watts anywhere

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ordered my Astra Innovation (Elite) 1.6 cdti 136 bhp on 21th January. It's still on event 25. Asked my dealer about the Watt's link and I am still waiting for the reply. But none the less, Opel Slovenia is still promoting the Watt's link on their website and in the MY16.5 catalogue (no mention of the link available only on selected engine options).

Will report back as soon I get an answer from the dealer.

Matjaž

·
Registered
770 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Lock-N said:
Hi just been reading about Watt Linkage and Acoustic Pack and as Iv got the 200bhp.it says its fitted to my car but.but I don't know what I'm looking so Please if you can help that would be very helpful
Hi

The Acoustic pack is certainly fitted to my 200bhp and I assume the watts link is but I wouldn't really know.

Edited to say just looked under my car and it has the Watts link.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've spent some time researching this as I didn't get Watts linkage rear suspension on my Astra SRi that I ordered in December and picked up last week. I would have pursued it if I could, as I've got some experience with claims like this and nearly always win.

Vauxhall have never mentioned Watts Linkage in any of their UK documentation - it's not mentioned in any edition of the Astra Brochure, New Astra Price Specification or the manual. The original New Astra K press pack did mention it but didn't say which models it applied too - many features in the press release are only available on certain models. The fact that some reviewers mentioned it isn't really justification for a claim against Vauxhall or a dealer who can't be held responsible for the accuracy of independent reviews. Furthermore, Vauxhall do warn in several places that specs are subject to change and the MY2016.5 announcement clearly says its removed except on the larger engines (1.6 petrol etc).

It's annoying but given the facts I don't think any UK customers can reasonably make a claim against Vauxhall, their dealer, credit card or finance company UNLESS the dealer stated verbally, or in writing, that Watts linkage would be supplied. I even referenced the specification in my order to cover potential spec changes, but that doesn't help me as the specification doesn't mention Watts Linkage. My dealer had no idea what it was when I queried it while picking up my Astra...

Legally, I don't think there's any case... Sorry... (and if there was, you're claim would be against the dealer - not Vauxhall).

That's it to say you shouldn't complain. A dealer may look kindly on your plight and throw in a sweetener but that would be entirely discretionary.

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have just had a quick look under my car and it appears that it does have a set up similar to the one in the photo. Not being familiar with different suspension types , is Watts a big bonus
I definitely have the acoustic padding and heat shield under the bonnet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So, Vauxhall give demonstration cars to the press complete with the Watts linkage, get rave reviews, then decide to withdraw it to customers.

Sounds like deception to me. Just a quick Google of the Auto express review finds this comment'

"Vauxhall has chosen a novel torsion beam rear axle with a Watt's linkeage rather than the independent multi-link system used in a Golf. It means there's less weight and bulk, although it's a bit bouncier at the back over lumps and bumps than the Golf."

I'm sure there will be more press comments about the rear suspension having a Watts linkage.

·
Registered
573 Posts
There ware. Most of the comments ware noting the excellent handling and reduced weight due to it :) And yes, Vauxhall/Opel scammed/tricked the customers just to win Car of the Year awards in numerous countries + Europe and get great reviews. They did the same with Android Auto (which is absent from highest trim units) and sound insulation (current MY2016.5 literally has none except the inner panels) :)

But legally i doubt one could do much with such trickery from them. I was lucky to have Watts listed in the spec sheet which was included with the contract. Thus i got partial refund when i threatened with lawyer, but as someone said in this forum - this was solely incentive from the dealer. Vauxhall/Opel could probably even deliver Corsa instead for Astra and still say that that contract "was not legally binding agreement of EXACT specifications and specifications MAY VARY" :D

G

·
Kristis said:
There ware. Most of the comments ware noting the excellent handling and reduced weight due to it :) And yes, Vauxhall/Opel scammed/tricked the customers just to win Car of the Year awards in numerous countries + Europe and get great reviews. They did the same with Android Auto (which is absent from highest trim units) and sound insulation (current MY2016.5 literally has none except the inner panels) :)

But legally i doubt one could do much with such trickery from them. I was lucky to have Watts listed in the spec sheet which was included with the contract. Thus i got partial refund when i threatened with lawyer, but as someone said in this forum - this was solely incentive from the dealer. Vauxhall/Opel could probably even deliver Corsa instead for Astra and still say that that contract "was not legally binding agreement of EXACT specifications and specifications MAY VARY" :D
Although these omissions are disappointing, I'm pretty confident that Opel/Vauxhall did not set out to scam us all. After all, watts is still available on some engines.

Android auto is also only advertised as being compatible with intellilink 4 and not the nav units, so again the same applies. That's how it's been in the UK anyway. I know your dealer explicitly promised you watts and you've managed to get something from it (car looks great in members gallery by the way).

I didn't even know that they had watts before reading this forum. A business has a right to bring in measures to save money and I'm sure other car manufacturers are no different.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yep, i'm not too unhappy of not having it. I'm unhappy on the way they removed it and the timing of removal :) They won numerous awards, got the flying scores in most of the test and then decided to "simplify" the car. It's ok to simplify it at some stage in product life, but the timing should not be after few months of sales and after all the reviews/scores :) because a lot of clients bought this car (including me) because of reviews and fantastic demo cars (they had watts, but yes, i must admit, they didn't have nav900 which turned out to be incompatible with Android Auto). So i bought it on false expectations, thinking that im ordering everything possible and getting everything possible, which turned out to be false and i got inferior head unit with inferior suspension :) Do i care? Except for NAV unit - not anymore as the car is great :)

Either way, theres no need for legal action except that u might still press your dealers for some sort of compensation.

G

·
Yeah, it is a bit cheeky of them, especially after the review cars had watts. Hope you enjoy the car anyway :). Fingers crossed for an Android Auto update!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts