Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Vauxhall Astra CDTi Sri Nav 2018
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just a really quick one - For anyone who has the Vauxhall Extended Warranty (In particular the 'Standard' cover), does this cover the existing timing chain rattle?

The reason I ask is because a lot of third-party extended warranty either use garages that may not want to do the fix OR have terms that state they do not cover existing manufacturer defects.

I am just wondering, as the rattle hasn't started in mine yet (Fingers crossed), if the Standard cover under the official Vauxhall Extended Warranty covers the timing chain rattle in the diesel Astra Ks

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
I have the 'Complete Cover', I'd presume the chain would be covered within the event of a sudden failure, an intermittent rattle, that's another matter, as even within the manufacturers warranty period vauxhall were reluctant to admit that there was a problem within the first place.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 'Complete Cover', I'd presume the chain would be covered within the event of a sudden failure, rattle, that's another matter, as even within the manufacturers warranty period vauxhall were reluctant to admit that there was a problem within the first place.
The complete cover for me is about £330 for a year's worth. How do you find it? Have you had your money's worth with it?

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
The complete cover for me is about £330 for a year's worth. How do you find it? Have you had your money's worth with it?
My complete cover cost me £282 from years 3-4 (1 years cover). Yes it's paid out twice in full, once for an faulty gear selector (auto), front dust covers, total claim £700. I'm extending it again soon for another year. Obviously you have to factor in the vauxhall servicing costs on top, the fact that every time you take your car in they're looking for extra work, too. Also the claims process was not simple, as my vaux dealer had very limited experience processing the claim with the official vauxhall extend warranty company.
To be honest I found the claims process a bit of an uphill battle, the dealership weren't very helpful, initially. The receptionist said she'd never heard of the 'vauxhall extended warranty cover', before. They couldn't tell me what was or wasn't covered prior to me booking my car in and accepting that I may have to pay their £120 diagnostics cost within the event that the warranty company wouldn't cover the failed part. The dealership had my car for 3 days, damaged my car when they had it, my car had to go in again, as they hadn't connection the gear selector up to some of the function buttons properly, initially. So don't expect a seamless claims process.
The warranty company themselves seemed good, as they provide other manufacturers extended cover, too.
The main issue was with the vaux dealership, rather than the warranty company, themselves. I got there in the end, though :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My complete cover cost me £282 from years 3-4 (1 years cover). Yes it's paid out twice in full, once for an faulty gear selector (auto), front dust covers, total claim £700. I'm extending it again soon for another year. Obviously you have to factor in the vauxhall servicing costs on top, the fact that every time you take your car in they're looking for extra work, too. Also the claims process was not simple, as my vaux dealer had very limited experience processing the claim with the official vauxhall extend warranty company.
To be honest I found the claims process a bit of an uphill battle, the dealership weren't very helpful, initially. The receptionist said she'd never heard of the 'vauxhall extended warranty cover', before. They couldn't tell me what was or wasn't covered prior to me booking my car in and accepting that I may have to pay their £120 diagnostics cost within the event that the warranty company wouldn't cover the failed part. The dealership had my car for 3 days, damaged my car when they had it, my car had to go in again, as they hadn't connection the gear selector up to some of the function buttons properly, initially. So don't expect a seamless claims process.
The warranty company themselves seemed good, as they provide other manufacturers extended cover, too.
The main issue was with the vaux dealership, rather than the warranty company, themselves. I got there in the end, though :ROFLMAO:
Bloody hell that sounds awful :LOL: one I bought (starts tomorrow) is from a firm called One Car I think it was?

There's so many third party warranty firms but I went with this firm as they don't use Halfords. All other ones want to use Halfords. All I ever hear is Halfords Horror stories of things going wrong. Plus they're that expensive that one claim could just use half my claim amount :ROFLMAO:

But I asked about Vauxhall Extended Warranty just because I fear that if the rattle does finally happen, that using just normal garages rather than a Vauxhall dealership could mean all they do is replace the chain rather than put the correct gasket fix in place.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Bloody hell that sounds awful :LOL: one I bought (starts tomorrow) is from a firm called One Car I think it was?

There's so many third party warranty firms but I went with this firm as they don't use Halfords. All other ones want to use Halfords. All I ever hear is Halfords Horror stories of things going wrong. Plus they're that expensive that one claim could just use half my claim amount :ROFLMAO:

But I asked about Vauxhall Extended Warranty just because I fear that if the rattle does finally happen, that using just normal garages rather than a Vauxhall dealership could mean all they do is replace the chain rather than put the correct gasket fix in place.
It's a big job replacing the chain, as the engine needs to come out. Reason you might struggle to convince a warranty company to change it if it just had an intermittent rattle.
I owned a 2016 1.6d Sri (136), for the first year of ownership it didn't rattle once, then out of the blue to started from a cold start, then gradually became more frequent. The car was just over 3 years old when I sold it back to the dealership. They wanted over 2k to change it, wouldn't accept that there was an issue with it, anyway.
It's probably best that you don't worry about something that's not happened yet, anyway.
Are you using the 0w 20 oil now?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a big job replacing the chain, as the engine needs to come out. Reason you might struggle to convince a warranty company to change it if it just had an intermittent rattle.
I owned a 2016 1.6d Sri (136), for the first year of ownership it didn't rattle once, then out of the blue to started from a cold start, then gradually became more frequent. The car was just over 3 years old when I sold it back to the dealership. They wanted over 2k to change it, wouldn't accept that there was an issue with it, anyway.
Are you using the 0w 20 oil now?
The thing is, my car is a 2018 registered (Jan 2018 but 67 Reg).

I've owned it since April 20th this year. It has had 2 previous owners who I have no idea who they are. There could be a chance it's been done as I don't hear much of a rattle. There's always gonna be a little noise since it's a chain but not the rattle people have in the cold.

The service history I got was partial and states at every service, 5w-30 oil has been used rather than 0w-20 but again doesn't really prove anything.

I am doing this with the warranty mostly out of precaution. What do you think I should do @Boroboy as I have time to cancel the current warranty if required.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
The thing is, my car is a 2018 registered (Jan 2018 but 67 Reg).

I've owned it since April 20th this year. It has had 2 previous owners who I have no idea who they are. There could be a chance it's been done as I don't hear much of a rattle. There's always gonna be a little noise since it's a chain but not the rattle people have in the cold.

The service history I got was partial and states at every service, 5w-30 oil has been used rather than 0w-20 but again doesn't really prove anything.

I am doing this with the warranty mostly out of precaution. What do you think I should do @Boroboy as I have time to cancel the current warranty if required.
The devil is within the detail I'm afraid with regards to warranties.
So you only have a partial service history? If so, you need to clarify that this is OK with any extended warranty cover.
If I hadn't of gone with the vaux ext cover, id have gone with the RAC (ALA), extended warranty I think, as you can bolt on their breakdown cover, keyfob cover and it covers you for up to 3 years, too, at an extra price, obviously. You could then use an rac reg repairer, plenty of those about.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The devil is within the detail I'm afraid with regards to warranties.
So you only have a partial service history? If so, you need to clarify that this is OK with any extended warranty cover.
With my current one, they state I need to have a service within 12 months of the policy starting which I will obviously have done anyway so it is fine nevertheless.

However since the service history is from places like Halfords rather than Vauxhall, it means I can't benefit from the special coverage bulletin

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
With my current one, they state I need to have a service within 12 months of the policy starting which I will obviously have done anyway so it is fine nevertheless.

However since the service history is from places like Halfords rather than Vauxhall, it means I can't benefit from the special coverage bulletin
Your car may possibly have revised parts fitted from factory, so you just don't know. It's not rattling now, good sign and I'd probably use the 0w 20 oil, as it's thinner.
Regards to which ext warranty cover should you use, up to you really. Pay your money and take your chance, I suppose.
I'll stick with the vaux recommended one, mainly due to the fact I have a fvsh, my next major service is for free, compensation for my bonnet damage. As I doubt I could bring myself to shell out nearly £500 for a major service and mot out of my own pocket (vaux official price).
I looked into the RAC top of the range cover for 3 years, Inc home start breakdown cover and keyfob cover, came to £875, Inc a 5% discount. Plus you could use an independent for servicing, save money. I'd rather use a trusted independent, too. I know of a couple of decent garages whom are also RAC reg. Not Halfords or Kwikfit:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your car may possibly have revised parts fitted from factory, so you just don't know. It's not rattling now, good sign and I'd probably use the 0w 20 oil, as it's thinner.
Regards to which ext warranty cover should you use, up to you really. Pay your money and take your chance, I suppose.
I'll stick with the vaux recommended one, mainly due to the fact I have a fvsh, my next major service is for free, compensation for my bonnet damage. As I doubt I could bring myself to shell out nearly £500 for a major service and mot out of my own pocket (vaux official price).
I looked into the RAC top of the range cover for 3 years, Inc home start breakdown cover and keyfob cover, came to £875, Inc a 5% discount. Plus you could use an independent for servicing, save money. I'd rather use a trusted independent, too. I know of a couple of decent garages whom are also RAC reg. Not Halfords or Kwikfit:ROFLMAO:
I haven't actually serviced it yet as it was serviced at 'Carshop Sheffield ' a day or so before I bought it.

I haven't actually driven it in the winter yet obviously so that will be interesting, I'm assuming when I take it to be serviced they'll know to change the oil type this time?

Should the thinner oil be better for it do you think? I know it was revised by Vauxhall but was it revised for those who have actually had the gasket fix put in place or is it just for everyone you reckon?

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
I haven't actually serviced it yet as it was serviced at 'Carshop Sheffield ' a day or so before I bought it.

I haven't actually driven it in the winter yet obviously so that will be interesting, I'm assuming when I take it to be serviced they'll know to change the oil type this time?

Should the thinner oil be better for it do you think? I know it was revised by Vauxhall but was it revised for those who have actually had the gasket fix put in place or is it just for everyone you reckon?
@Valer maybe able to clarify, but I think it was for 18 plate on engines. I'd stick with whatever vaux recommend. Thinner oil would travel to the top of an engine faster within cold conditions, that's my logic.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Valer maybe able to clarify, but I think it was for 18 plate on engines. I'd stick with whatever vaux recommend. Thinner oil would travel to the top of an engine faster within cold conditions, that's my logic.
When I service, who should I be looking to service with? I'd normally service with a small little garage about a mile away from me, it's just a guy there, only really small.

I'd never use Halfords, Qwik Fit or anyone like that. But also Vauxhall are way too expensive otherwise I'd use them.

Any recommendations on the type of garage I'm looking for?

Also thanks for the advice so far

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I can probably work out which oil if you post the VIN,
if he's ok with it, my recommendation would be to buy the oil and filter and get your local guy to do the work

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
When I service, who should I be looking to service with? I'd normally service with a small little garage about a mile away from me, it's just a guy there, only really small.

I'd never use Halfords, Qwik Fit or anyone like that. But also Vauxhall are way too expensive otherwise I'd use them.

Any recommendations on the type of garage I'm looking for?

Also thanks for the advice so far
Whom ever you are most happy servicing it with, as @Valer has already stated. I don't use the dealer because of better service for sure.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
True and thanks mate for sure. Service would be due around time MOT needs doing so I was gonna get both done at same time.
You are very welcome.
Within an ideal world I wouldn't have an extended warranty and I'd use an Independent as close to me as possible to service my car, too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

Just a really quick one - For anyone who has the Vauxhall Extended Warranty (In particular the 'Standard' cover), does this cover the existing timing chain rattle?

The reason I ask is because a lot of third-party extended warranty either use garages that may not want to do the fix OR have terms that state they do not cover existing manufacturer defects.

I am just wondering, as the rattle hasn't started in mine yet (Fingers crossed), if the Standard cover under the official Vauxhall Extended Warranty covers the timing chain rattle in the diesel Astra Ks
I had my timing chain replaced under extended warranty mines with QBE they paid out twice once for clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder and recently timing chain mine is a 2017 astra k 1.6 both times had no issues the dealership sent over the claim they asked for service history from them and pictures and paid out no problem

1 - 20 of 32 Posts