Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So car went in for a recall around last week and it felt a bit sluggish after coming back, I wondered why so I contacted my tuner and they ran diagnostics and found out the dealership had flashed the ECU with a new file even thought I said to them and was on the job notice “Don’t touch the ECU its been remapped”

The only reason they would do this is out of spite, can’t see there own car by there own brand modified and tampered with and everything should be “stock / OEM” and all work should be done by them.

So they will be a bit suprised when they get a call in the morning, and will have to explain to me why they did it, Luckily I have a very good tuner which will apply it again for me on Friday. But if the company wasn’t so nice Vauxhall would have a nice bill of £450.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If you said dont update the ECU then waste of time doing the recall . They will overwrite any performance map that’s been done. I doubt you would of got £450 back even if they flashed the update on - there explanation would be along the lines of it’s an optional recall and any maps will be overwritten immediately with a VX one .All these recent updates from manufacturer are benefitting one person….VX. It covers their ass‘s in the emission world.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you said dont update the ECU then waste of time doing the recall . They will overwrite any performance map that’s been done. I doubt you would of got £450 back even if they flashed the update on - there explanation would be along the lines of it’s an optional recall and any maps will be overwritten immediately with a VX one .All these recent updates from manufacturer are benefitting one person….VX. It covers their ass‘s in the emission world.
The recall was nothing to do with the ECU, It was a rear light connector bulb and its the fact they lied to my face and said they had not touched it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah right that makes more sense , agree then why on earth would they touch the ECU ? Sounds dodgy to me .
Thats why I’m thinking out of spite, Its turning there nose up, not liking the fact that its been modified.

Reactions: Pompeydave

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Probably some mechanic who liked the car and wanted to know if anything had been updated .I wouldnt put it past them . Unless you have worked for a dealership you will never know what goes on behind the scene - I worked in the motor trade for 20 years and have seen things that would make your eyes water ! If they were quiet out of curiosity any of them could have plugged in the ecu to check it out .

·
Registered
225 Posts
dont think there has been a recall for the rear conector,couple of months ago someone hit your car on the rear lhs so the company that did the repair it would be up to them. vauxhall would have nothing to do with it.i think some one not to happy with the map

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
IIRC Luke, yours is a '67 plate and hence I presume is well out of warranty ? I would be absolutely fuming if a dealership did that to mine out of warranty and would be looking into taking legal action against them :mad: Surely they have no right whatsoever to start messing with the ECU firmware unless you took the car in for a related problem which the rear light connector obviously isn't ?

Good job you've got a decent mapper who remapped it again for you foc. Set of complete bar-stewards if you ask me.

Either that or they're employing a rogue mechanic.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have had my car in for something unrelated, and they connected the computer to enable something, and their computer popped up, asking them to do an update of some sort.

If you specifically asked them NOT to touch the ECU, it will be dodgy for them to accept it, but some updates are paid for by vauxhall as far as i have heard, so maybe they were just trying to make an extra buck from vauxhall, doing the update.

A bit late now, but seeing as they were not going to do any stuff on the ECU, you should have taped up the OBD port so they would not be able to get at it without removing your tape and the note "DO NOT TOUCH" :)

On previous cars the OBD port has even had it's own fuse in the fuse box, if the K has the same, you would also have gone a long way, just pulling that fuse and putting a note in the fusebox "Fuse X is NOT to be replaced, DO NOT TOUCH MY ECU" :)

Reactions: Shaky

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IIRC Luke, yours is a '67 plate and hence I presume is well out of warranty ? I would be absolutely fuming if a dealership did that to mine out of warranty and would be looking into taking legal action against them :mad: Surely they have no right whatsoever to start messing with the ECU firmware unless you took the car in for a related problem which the rear light connector obviously isn't ?

Good job you've got a decent mapper who remapped it again for you foc. Set of complete bar-stewards if you ask me.

Either that or they're employing a rogue mechanic.
Well out of warranty bought it last year, was only a rear connector, the car was hit yes but one side was faulty the side not replaced by the bodyshop

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mapping makes difference in CO emissions. If there is issued new software by manufacturer then it´s mandatory to update the car.
In Estonia they mark the cars in register that have not passed ecu update. It´s impossible to pass MOT with this mark.

Therefore I´d blame the dealer for lack of communication.
The risk of mapping car and getting it demapped by dealer is real.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have had my car in for something unrelated, and they connected the computer to enable something, and their computer popped up, asking them to do an update of some sort.

If you specifically asked them NOT to touch the ECU, it will be dodgy for them to accept it, but some updates are paid for by vauxhall as far as i have heard, so maybe they were just trying to make an extra buck from vauxhall, doing the update.

A bit late now, but seeing as they were not going to do any stuff on the ECU, you should have taped up the OBD port so they would not be able to get at it without removing your tape and the note "DO NOT TOUCH" :)

On previous cars the OBD port has even had it's own fuse in the fuse box, if the K has the same, you would also have gone a long way, just pulling that fuse and putting a note in the fusebox "Fuse X is NOT to be replaced, DO NOT TOUCH MY ECU" :)
That's not the way SPS works, it doesn't "prompt" you to update the vehicle. You must specifically go into the module and flash it with the latest calibrations.

Reactions: astraowner

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
That's not the way SPS works, it doesn't "prompt" you to update the vehicle. You must specifically go into the module and flash it with the latest calibrations.
This was a Zafira A, so maybe things are different.

He said he was unable to enable the function i wanted, until i had the ECU updated and it was asking him to let his tool download the firmware

Reactions: Boroboy
1 - 13 of 13 Posts