Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
With respect, it counts down a set percentage every day from the last time the system was reset to end at zero on the 365-ish day.

If the garage didn't reset it at PDi it will be running from the day the car was built. This would suggest that your car was built 82 days ago which would tally pretty closely with your 56 days of ownership and the rest taken up in build/delivery/storage/prep whatever

·
Registered
280 Posts
anastasios said:
I will have to disagree. I bought the car 17/2/2016 and as of yesterday I had 2900 miles and 78% oil life....
This is an interesting one. Depends on when the timer starts to count down I guess. So if the timer starts from when the car rolls off the production line it could easily be a couple of weeks older.

I collected mine on the same day as you and have done 2100 miles. My oil life is 86% (same as car display).

Doing the maths the percentage is right for age of my car. As far as I know the system knows how to work it out based on both age and mileage as GM want you to get oil changed at either 20k miles or 12 months depending which happens first.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Oil life is dependent on type of driving and milesge. If you do lots of short stop/start journeys the % will drop quicker than if you do motorway miles

I've done 5500 snd my oil life is 67% but I do a 36mile commute with no town driving

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SwissTJ said:
With respect, it counts down a set percentage every day from the last time the system was reset to end at zero on the 365-ish day.

If the garage didn't reset it at PDi it will be running from the day the car was built. This would suggest that your car was built 82 days ago which would tally pretty closely with your 56 days of ownership and the rest taken up in build/delivery/storage/prep whatever
This makes sense. I saw the production report on the car the day I collected it and it was produced on the 15th of January (in Poland to my bad surprise....). Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My car is down at 41% oil life remaining, which is a bit annoying. If I follow the daily percentage back it comes out at September 11th (registered 18th November). Is there anyway of finding out when my car was built?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm under the impression that CDTi engines will monitor driving style due to the DPF cycles, etc. as well as mileage/time since last service. However it makes sense that petrol engines are mostly based off time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SwissTJ said:
I've done 5500 snd my oil life is 67% but I do a 36mile commute with no town driving
Car is 4 months old = 33% of oil life - 67% remaining

As I said, based purely on calendar, not usage.
To poke an old thread, my car is nearly 3 months old, 1280 miles 76% oil life, i check regularly and it drops gradually, but it didn't move when I wasn't driving for a week, it's based on usage, case closed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not one person in this thread has correctly described how the oil life remaining is calculated. If you search on "Oil Life", you'll find it has been done to death several times already, and the most appropriate model determined based on all the evidence available.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Scott28280 said:
SwissTJ said:
Car is 4 months old = 33% of oil life - 67% remaining

As I said, based purely on calendar, not usage.
To poke an old thread, my car is nearly 3 months old, 1280 miles 76% oil life, i check regularly and it drops gradually, but it didn't move when I wasn't driving for a week, it's based on usage, case closed.
Hi

Disagree. Mine was left for ten days whilst I was on holiday and the oil life dropped during that time.

Unless you wrote the algorithm you have no idea how it works.

Cheers

Paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts