Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. What is the feeling on using redex /STP system cleaner type additives?
I'd be interested to hear what the feeling is. My mech swears by it but I always want a second (or more) opinion before I make my mind up.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Hi all. What is the feeling on using redex /STP system cleaner type additives?
I'd be interested to hear what the feeling is. My mech swears by it but I always want a second (or more) opinion before I make my mind up.
Mechs usually like it because they can add a bottle of it to the bill.

Not saying it does not work, but if they can make money selling it to you as part of a service, and they know that it will not harm the car, i bet they would want to sell it to you no matter what.

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I wouldn't use any additives with a modern diesel engine, especially with the dpf system to think about too. If you want to treat it, maybe put some premium diesel through the tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mechs usually like it because they can add a bottle of it to the bill.

Not saying it does not work, but if they can make money selling it to you as part of a service, and they know that it will not harm the car, i bet they would want to sell it to you no matter what.
Thanks for the comment. I think that applies in many cases but my mech told me to go and buy it myself so his motivation was not financial. Perhaps because he is a Middlesbrough bloke he is better than the mechs in Sweden? :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
dont think it been proven that it does not work or proven that it does work.but the company been going for 50 odd years or more so theres got to be somthing in it.todays diesel to me are not driven hard and long enough or given a italian tune,but what you could try is a carbon clean once a year

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Thanks for the comment. I think that applies in many cases but my mech told me to go and buy it myself so his motivation was not financial. Perhaps because he is a Middlesbrough bloke he is better than the mechs in Sweden? :)
You did not just mistake me for a swede did you ? :mad::mad:

:LOL::LOL:

• Wow
Reactions: Boroboy and Valer

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, based on the comments, I think I'm going all anorak. I'll run a few tanks using Redex and a few tanks without it. My travelling is pretty much constant so the mpg is easy to check (or l/100km for Astraowner from DENMARK!). I'll have to be subjective on if it has made the engine response better and even if it has I don't think my brain will be able to say if there's a difference.

·
Registered
165 Posts
OK, based on the comments, I think I'm going all anorak. I'll run a few tanks using Redex and a few tanks without it. My travelling is pretty much constant so the mpg is easy to check (or l/100km for Astraowner from DENMARK!). I'll have to be subjective on if it has made the engine response better and even if it has I don't think my brain will be able to say if there's a difference.
I think redex claim to improve performance by cleaning injectors, valves etc. so if you run a tank with it, you should see any benefits for a few tanks without it following.

Personally I use it every 3 tanks or 1,000 miles or so, and every couple of thousand miles throw in the redex DPF cleaner.
I personally think it makes a differance, and my commute is only 20mins and on cold days the car won’t get to temp so I hope the redex will help with the emission control systems. (I do very long runs every few weeks to see family.)

I get very good MPG on the 1.6 (59 to 70 depending on journey) and have had no engine / DPF / EGR problems as of yet at 60k miles on a late 2017 model. 🤞🏻 Can’t says it’s down to redex, but when I got the car I initially only used premium diesel, swapped to redex as it was a cheaper alternative after about 20k miles.

Looking forward to your experiment results!
Worth noting average speed as well as consumption as I think stop start can effect mpg more than anything.

·
Registered
2019 Reg
94 Posts
Not really worth it unless you've done high mileage or mostly short journeys, better to put a tank of premium diesel in every few fills or use it all the time. It has a higher cetane number, better lubricity and includes detergents that provide ongoing injector-cleaning, much like premium unleaded does.
I always use 99 Ron, [usually Esso] in mine, it recommends 98 anyway and I wouldn't touch anything else unless I had no choice.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
You're all vikings aren't you?
I am from the country where the real viking came from...The ones that plundered amongst other places the UK :p

·
Registered
863 Posts
I am from the country where the real viking came from...The ones that plundered amongst other places the UK :p
Ah yes, killing the Women and raping the Men and all that o_O:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.......I'll get my coat - lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts