Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is the right place to put this question.

Does anyone know the power output from the USB port (used by me for Android Auto) and the PowerFlex Phone holder?

Reason I ask is that the USB port does not seem to be providing enough power to my phone (LG G4) such that on a long journey using Google Maps for navigation along with making voice calls means the battery starts to drain even though it is plugged in.
As mentioned in my gallery post I did not realise the Powerflex phone holder did not provide data connection - stupid me.

So, if the powerflex USB connection provides more power than the USB port, it may be possible to splice two cables - one from the powerflex holder for power and the other from the USB port for data.

Does anyone have any specifications for the power output please?

Thanks!

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Elite's rear USB power outlets supply 2.1A at 5V according to the manual but I can't find a spec for the PowerFlex or centre USB outlets. You can buy power adapters that plug into the 12V outlet and provide 2.1A out (Amazon, eBay or high street).

You may just find its just a limitation of the phone though. GPS + display + CPU + graphics processor may take so much there's nothing left for battery charging, especially if the voltage drops under that load. Has it worked in a different car or with a different charger?

G

·
The Android Auto review I read on theverge.com said that with it running, the battery may not charge while in use and that was tested with a few different phones. Does anyone have any experience with Apple Carplay and the phone being able to charge?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all.

Is there such a thing as a car charger that can also be plugged into a USB port and both go to a micro USB to plug into the phone.

Yes, the phone can normally cope with the load via a normal car charger but I think that delivers more power than USB.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@hairychris - perfect! Many thanks.

Having used Google Maps again on another longer run, if the phone is fairly charged to start with it is better, it certainly did not lose charge however before it did.

I'll order one of these and see how I get on.

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My head unit shows 2 USB inputs, however I've tried a couple of different USB hubs and there doesn't seem to be enough power from the port for anything to run reliably.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ok thanks for confirming, how many ports were on the hubs you tried, I'm thinking a splitter with maybe only 2 ports so only 1 additional?

·
Registered
463 Posts
It seems to be a bad design, you can't have a usb stick and Android auto connected at the same time, also the connect seems prone to breaking

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I queried the two USB sources on the head unit with VX customer service and got the standard reply that they were for other models, they at first said it was for the Elite, when I pointed out that the Elite only had one USB input they went quiet.

I got round it by putting a 32gb memory card in the phone and using that through Android Auto for music rather than my iPod or a memory stick. I fancied trying a two way splitter, but couldn't find one.

·
Registered
463 Posts
So I just dug out an old pc 4 way usb and popped into the car quickly to try it, i had 2 usb flash drives connected and guess what.... Both worked i switched from watching a film to listening to music and also wirelessly playing music from my phone via Bluetooth.... It seems all is not lost. Maybe the key is to use a data hub

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Maybe, or maybe it's because you were using relatively low power items. I was using a phone and either an iPod or a memory stick.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Maybe, either way I'm happy to see I can have 2 inputs as well as Bluetooth, I can't try Android auto as I have the Sri nav model but maybe you can try with a phone and USB stick instead of iPad and post the result please.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ok, I'll do a few different combinations tomorrow and see if it throws up any issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts