Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone upgraded from the usual 264mm rear discs to the 288mm ones? I've been informed that all the rear calipers are the same, it is just a case of changing over the caliper carriers. Just wondered if anyone has done this yet? Not sure on why all 1.6T didn't come with the bigger discs tbh.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
No doubt costs involved with supplying from new , if VX can get away with cheaper smaller ones they will. Also probably bigger enough anyway unless intending to drive round the Nurburgring a few times !

·
Registered
874 Posts
Has anyone upgraded from the usual 264mm rear discs to the 288mm ones? I've been informed that all the rear calipers are the same, it is just a case of changing over the caliper carriers. Just wondered if anyone has done this yet? Not sure on why all 1.6T didn't come with the bigger discs tbh.
Think the 1.6T was the only petrol to get bigger front discs - rears were the same. Probably needed more braking force to combat speed and the weight of the cast iron block.

I remember looking at the specs of the Astra G that I bought many years ago now. The difference between my 1.8 and the 1.6 was immense, the 1.8 getting uprated discs all round and uprated again with the ABS/Traction Control models!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I was initially under the impression that all the 1.6t 200 had the larger J60 brakes all round
(probably from here lol)
but the more build checks i've done for brake sizing on various K's has produced a few 1.6t's which are running the J70 system with large fronts and the small rears,as to why i haven't figured out,it could just be down to cost lol
The diesels are even harder to predict with 3 different combinations being possible 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Shaky

·
Registered
382 Posts
How does adding bigger discs on the rear affect brake balance? Presumably as delivered, the brake pressure balancing gizmo (is this electronic via BCM or mechanical?) is designed for stability under braking. If you change the braking performance without adjusting the balance gizmo does it risk instability in extreme braking manoeuvres? Or is it all just based on real time measurement of wheel retardation during braking and and braking pressures adjusted instantaneously as needed?

(genuine question - I don’t know - not trying to be clever or a kill-joy)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
So they launched the 1.6t 200 with the small (264mm) rears on them then,
tbh i can't see much point in retro fitting the larger rear discs as the calipers and pads are the same as the small (264mm) setup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts