Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Tyres

22K views 44 replies 30 participants last post by  MOOGLEYS 
#1 ·
Seems that Vauxhall may be fitting different tyres to our cars?

Might be interesting to see what we all have to see if they are fitting a particular tyre to a model / engine etc.

I will kick it off, if anyone wants to join in that would be great!

1.6 CDTI 136 - Sri Nav - Bridgestone Turanza - 17"

#9 ·
SRi NAV 1.4 T 150bhp Michelin Primacy 3 17"

Seems to me so far that the 1.4 Turbo 17" are Michelin and 18" are Bridgestone.

As somebody who works at a Main Dealer there really isn't any difference in these two brands. They've both high quality tyres and we never have any issues with them in the workshop. We class them both as premium tyre brands.

From Vauxhall's point of view it just depends which tyre is most cost effective for them to fit based on the size of the wheel. They only want premium tyre brands going out of the factory but depending on size it might be cheaper for them to fit one or the other.

#11 ·
I guess It depends on which factory was produced your car. My car is produced in england and it was bridgestone which i didnt like and sold them). Poland products fit by michelin as far as i see.

#16 ·
Need to check my handbook when I get home, but as far as I recall there are different settings depending on what you requirements are.

Think that your readings might be the Eco setting. If you change the pressure in the tyre, you will also need to go into the settings to amend or the car will give you low pressure warnings.

#18 ·
Cheers MarcR. I checked the settings once I read the handbook and the car was set for normal pressures. I've adjusted them to the correct pressures and the ride has improved and the steering has gained a bit of weight which is all good! :)

#20 ·
The ride will be a lot smoother. Also, by not having overinflated tyres, you will be ensuring more even tread wear. Once you bring it to a lower pressure, you will find handling also improves. I'd definitely recommend that you reduce it.

As said earlier in this thread, I personally don't use 32 in my tyres - I have found that 35 is (for me) the best balance of comfort and handling.

#21 ·
SRi Nav 1.4T - 17" Bridgestone Turanza, made in England, delivered in March.

I've seen a few comments saying other makes like Michelin offer a more comfortable and quieter ride and will certainly bear this in mind when replacing them. Any recommendations or first hand experience with swapping from Bridgestone would be appreciated.

#24 ·
Used to go for Contis after swapping to some SportContact2 tyres on my old Sport Hatch which were brilliant. Eventually I needed to replace them and the SportContact3 was nowhere near as good for that car.

I'd recommend having a look at the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 or the newer 3 as they give an incredibly supple, low noise ride and get still grip like a limpet in the twisty stuff in the wet or dry. Transformed the old Sport Hatch 1.6T!

Why Vauxhall/Opel decided to put flipping Bridgestones on in the first place is beyond me as they've always been noisy lumpy things on GM cars...? :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.