Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never used a repair kit, always opted for a spare wheel. Has anyone any experience of using the standard tyre repair kit? If I order a new Astra with a spare wheel, where does it fit (this was not obvious in the demo car I've seen), and how much boot space is lost?

While we're in the boot, the dealer struggled to lift the boot floor carpet up to look underneath. Is this normal, or should there be some sort of handle to lift it up with? When he got it up, there was no obvious wheel well, but there was a battery in a recess immediately behind the rear seats. Forgot to ask at the time, but is this where the main battery goes rather than under the bonnet, or was it an additional battery for whatever reason?

Thanks for any info. provided, pictures would be particularly useful.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Steel_Blade said:
I've never used a repair kit, always opted for a spare wheel. Has anyone any experience of using the standard tyre repair kit? If I order a new Astra with a spare wheel, where does it fit (this was not obvious in the demo car I've seen), and how much boot space is lost?

While we're in the boot, the dealer struggled to lift the boot floor carpet up to look underneath. Is this normal, or should there be some sort of handle to lift it up with? When he got it up, there was no obvious wheel well, but there was a battery in a recess immediately behind the rear seats. Forgot to ask at the time, but is this where the main battery goes rather than under the bonnet, or was it an additional battery for whatever reason?

Thanks for any info. provided, pictures would be particularly useful.
Hi

I have the spare wheel as after the fun and games we had with my wife's Adam and the repair kit I vowed I wasn't going to be stranded.

The spare wheel fits below the boot floor carpet and you loose some of the boot depth. When you fold the rear seats flat the boot carpet is level with the seats as opposed to below it without the wheel. There is also what looks like a foam insert under the carpet that holds the wheel and the relevant tools.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always opted to have the spare wheel as it covers every eventuality. There will be some tyre problems which the repair kit can't deal with, but I know there are strong opinions on both sides. I've had two punctures in the last 4 years, both times the tyre was shredded internally by the time I realised. Not sure how effective a repair kit would have been.

Just a thought - could the extra battery I saw in the car I had a test drive in be related to the tyre repair system, perhaps to run a compressor or whatever? The boot floor must be totally different if you opt for the spare wheel. The dealer showing me the car didn't have a clue - he was looking underneath the back end to see if the spare wheel was mounted below the car!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just found that out as well by looking through an owner's manual which someone has already posted on this site. Just looking at the pictures with the bonnet raised, I wonder how many people assumed that the main fuse box was a battery, like I did?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
SwissTJ said:
You should see battle-hardened salesmen scratching their heads when they try and jump start a New Astra and can't find the negative terminal...
I used my Astra to jump start my Manta (takes ages to get fuel up to the carb if it's been standing some time) and I had one heck of a job finding a suitable earth point.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
1900sr said:
SwissTJ said:
You should see battle-hardened salesmen scratching their heads when they try and jump start a New Astra and can't find the negative terminal...
I used my Astra to jump start my Manta (takes ages to get fuel up to the carb if it's been standing some time) and I had one heck of a job finding a suitable earth point.
Please share incase anyone gets confused

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought my new car from the showroom. It did not have the spare wheel. It could have been a deal breaker but the salesman suggested I keep the spare from my trade in along with the tools and floor cover. This I have done and it works pretty well in levelling out the boot floor.
The reason I wanted a spare was that I clipped a kerb on New Year's Day and " burst" a tyre in my j Astra. Foam would not have sealed the split, repairers were shut for the bank hol, so I would have had to be relayed home and then have still been a wheel down after the holiday.
Replacement foam is about £ 45 I am told, some tyre depots will not repair tyres that have had foam in them so all in all
I think it is ridiculous not to have a spare as standard.
Is having a spare a factory fitted only option?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Found the prices I got for the spare wheel.

Space Saver Wheel & Tyre £151.16
Jack £60.60
Brace/Jack Handle £20.04
Holding Tray for Jack/Brace £21.24
Wheel Location Screw £2.17
Wing Nut £12.42

All prices are Retail & include VAT.

That's about £256 without the new boot floor covering to go over the top.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Slowcoach said:
I bought my new car from the showroom. It did not have the spare wheel. It could have been a deal breaker but the salesman suggested I keep the spare from my trade in along with the tools and floor cover. This I have done and it works pretty well in levelling out the boot floor.
Does the Astra J spare wheel fit the new model OK, I had a feeling there was some debate as to whether it would? If it does then it might be an option to get the parts from a breaker and do the same as you have done. I must admit I don't like not having one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I must admit I haven't tried it but it is a 17" 5 stud wheel which the salesman said was compatible. I used some foam rubber around the wheel and put the old wheel covering over that and it seems pretty stable. It also acts as a false floor to hide bits and pieces under.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't no 100% about the astra, but I bought a foam boot raiser for my insignia and I was only £19 from a main dealer. It was designed to raise the floor so you can fit your spare wheel in and had lots of small cubby holes to store things like cloths. My astra only has the inflation kit. Remember though, your onstar has roadside assistance. Il end up calling them out if I get a puncture. let them do all the hard work. That's what its there for. And if they cant fix it they can get a loader to take me home or to my garage!

·
Registered
798 Posts
joe.bloggs1 said:
I don't no 100% about the astra, but I bought a foam boot raiser for my insignia and I was only £19 from a main dealer. It was designed to raise the floor so you can fit your spare wheel in and had lots of small cubby holes to store things like cloths. My astra only has the inflation kit. Remember though, your onstar has roadside assistance. Il end up calling them out if I get a puncture. let them do all the hard work. That's what its there for. And if they cant fix it they can get a loader to take me home or to my garage!
Note that OnStar Roadside Assistance is a paid service, not free.

·
Registered
92 Posts
astramaster said:
Note that OnStar Roadside Assistance is a paid service, not free.
Since reading your message I decided to call OnStar to confirm this. Yes it will cost me £79.00 a year after my free 1 year trial, but roadside assistance is included in your package. I specifically asked him to go through what was covered and it ranged anything from a flat tire, breakdown, dead battery, out of fuel and many more. Feel free to press your blue button and speak to your advisor about this. So if anyone out there has a tyre inflation kit and gets a flat, just press your OnStar button and ask for roadside assistance! :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts