Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
@Mart7379 You really need to get all 4 tyre sensors triggered to read on a tpms diagnostic tool before changing any out.

The positions displayed on the dash may not agree with the positions of the sensors on each corner of the car. In other words the wheels could have been rotated on the car at some point and not relearned to the car. If you still had some pressure readings on the dash you could have let some air out of each tyre and see the relative position on the dash matches. You have no values displaying now so you can't do that.

I use an Autel mk808ts diag tool that triggers each sensor for a health check and displays battery state, temp, ID number etc. So I assume a tyre shop should have similar diag tools.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
@Mart7379 You really need to get all 4 tyre sensors triggered to read on a tpms diagnostic tool before changing any out.

The positions displayed on the dash may not agree with the positions of the sensors on each corner of the car. In other words the wheels could have been rotated on the car at some point and not relearned to the car.

I use an Autel mk808ts diag tool that triggers each sensor for a health check and displays battery state, temp, ID number etc. So I assume a tyre shop should have similar diag tools.
From what ATS said when I spoke to them in detail yesterday they have the necessary equipment to do the work, and have had a response from a buyer on eBay to also confirm this.

Additionally,

Before I attempted to relearn all 4 corners after 1 of the TPMS sensors had died, the dash was showing 3 of 4 readings.
Assumably because 1 of the TPMS is dead the relearn procedure can not complete as only 3 of 4 corners are working. So the car is currently giving no reading on all 4 corners. The car does give a horn pip when holding the relearn tool against 3 of 4 corners. So know the relearn tool is working as it should and the TPMS sensors are working correctly

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Good point, especially if your car was 5 years plus old, you needed 4 tyres. I'd then supply the tyre fitter with 4 sensors to fit whilst they're fitting the tyres. Easier that changing them later.
My car would be 5 year old next summer, also would need 4 tyres then, so if I were to keep my car, I'd change the sensors along with the new tyres, for the sake of around an extra £20 each for the sensors, worth doing.
Yeah this was another expense i had to contend with on my 2016.

The summer tyres were on their last "leg", both thread wise, but also the rubber was not good anymore.

So i would have had to get 4 new tyres and 4 sensors on top of all of the other stuff, that was soon due.

Normally i would have worn out the tyres before they got to 5 years, but there was this little thing called covid19 that made quite the impact on the number of miles i travelled in 2020, 2021 and into 2022.

Besides going to and from work, i usually do about 6000 miles a year for my company, so the tyres were "missing" atleast 10000 miles on them last year, when they turned 5. :)

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
Yeah this was another expense i had to contend with on my 2016.

The summer tyres were on their last "leg", both thread wise, but also the rubber was not good anymore.

So i would have had to get 4 new tyres and 4 sensors on top of all of the other stuff, that was soon due.

Normally i would have worn out the tyres before they got to 5 years, but there was this little thing called covid19 that made quite the impact on the number of miles i travelled in 2020, 2021 and into 2022.

Besides going to and from work, i usually do about 6000 miles a year for my company, so the tyres were "missing" atleast 10000 miles on them last year, when they turned 5. :)
One bonus of running with 16's, more choice significantly cheaper than 17 or 18" tyres.
You usually find the older the car gets, the more maintenance costs are involved.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
One bonus of running with 16's, more choice significantly cheaper than 17 or 18" tyres.
You usually find the older the car gets, the more maintenance costs are involved.
Offcourse, but when adding up the cost of all of the stuff coming up, i always subtract that from the price of the next newer car i buy.

The MG also cost about £120 less every year in road tax. (And about the same more in insurance :) )

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just to add, batteries can be replaced in the sensors if you are willing to open up the sensors and silicone it closed up after. Obviously not designed to be replaced, but it's very simple to do so anyway. Very cheap option if you have the means to remove tyres yourself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Just a thought, is it possible for the sensor to fall off the valve stem. Looking at the picture of 1 it is only screwed to the valve?

having said that, it would still give a reading to the ECU regardless of its location within the tyre?

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
Just a thought, is it possible for the sensor to fall off the valve stem. Looking at the picture of 1 it is only screwed to the valve?

having said that, it would still give a reading to the ECU regardless of its location within the tyre?
If it fell off, you'd imagine it would destroy itself whilst spinning around inside the tyre. It's more likely the battery has failed inside the sensor, as they have a limited life span.
If I were wanting to keep the car, I'd change the 4, too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Yeh I would imagine it would destroy itself from being thrown about in the tyre. Was just a thought like I said.
Hopefully going to get it in to the trusty mechanic next week.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Hi guys I know I said I was aiming to get the parts from eBay and into the garage asap, but work commitments have delayed it so far, so anyone awaiting an update, please bare with me.

1 thing I did want to do, I would quite like to swap the rubber valve to a steel 1, can these be bought separately and changed before the TPMS sensor is fitted. On the assumption the valves are detachable.

anyone point me in the right direction for the correct fitting/part number?

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
Hi guys I know I said I was aiming to get the parts from eBay and into the garage asap, but work commitments have delayed it so far, so anyone awaiting an update, please bare with me.

1 thing I did want to do, I would quite like to swap the rubber valve to a steel 1, can these be bought separately and changed before the TPMS sensor is fitted. On the assumption the valves are detachable.

anyone point me in the right direction for the correct fitting/part number?
Yep the valve stems are detachable, the garage fitter would usually fit new ones. I had new ones fitted when I powder coated my alloys over a year ago now, they're not steel, but seem sturdier than the factory ones. So it all depends what the garage use when they fit your new tyres/sensors. To powder coat the wheels the sensors and valves have to come off and be refitted again, anyway.
I've also in the past supplied my own set of tpms sensors to to be fitted and the garage then replace the stems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Yeh I am going to supply the new TPMS sensors but I remember you or someone else saying in an earlier reply they’d replaced the rubber valve stem with steel, so was going to get hold of some and swap the valves over before taking it to the garage. May or may not save a little bit of time if they are ready to go as soon as the wheels are off.

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
Yeh I am going to supply the new TPMS sensors but I remember you or someone else saying in an earlier reply they’d replaced the rubber valve stem with steel, so was going to get hold of some and swap the valves over before taking it to the garage. May or may not save a little bit of time if they are ready to go as soon as the wheels are off.
All mine I've ever replaced have been rubber/plastic.
Although some other manufacturers use steel, Inc the ones on our mini. Our previous FL2 had steel valves too, which I prefer, as they seem to last for longer, although, fortunately it didn't have tpms sensors, either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
No my insignia never had TPMS, I used to just get a headache dealing with the dpf instead.

I’ll have a word with the garage before I take it in, see if they have any steel stems themself. If not I’m assuming I can just pick some up off eBay? (Do they have a part number for the correct fit?)

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
No my insignia never had TPMS, I used to just get a headache dealing with the dpf instead.

I’ll have a word with the garage before I take it in, see if they have any steel stems themself. If not I’m assuming I can just pick some up off eBay? (Do they have a part number for the correct fit?)
Regarding steel stems on a K, I have no idea.

·
Super Moderator
96 Posts
Yep the valve stems are detachable, the garage fitter would usually fit new ones. I had new ones fitted when I powder coated my alloys over a year ago now, they're not steel, but seem sturdier than the factory ones. So it all depends what the garage use when they fit your new tyres/sensors. To powder coat the wheels the sensors and valves have to come off and be refitted again, anyway.
I've also in the past supplied my own set of tpms sensors to to be fitted and the garage then replace the stems.
When I had 4 new tyres fitted one month ago by ATS, I was worried whether they would break my TPMS sensors, or put the wheels back in the wrong locations, and that they would need to be relearned. All was okay though, apparently they keep the wheels in the correct location.

They don't supply a new valve stem, they leave the old one in place, and fit a new valve core.

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
When I had 4 new tyres fitted one month ago by ATS, I was worried whether they would break my TPMS sensors, or put the wheels back in the wrong locations, and that they would need to be relearned. All was okay though, apparently they keep the wheels in the correct location.

They don't supply a new valve stem, they leave the old one in place, and fit a new valve core.
I had the whole valve stems replaced last time with their cores, but they can also be reused too. I've even known garages keep the old stems too, just to save on cost.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Finally ordered the parts, noticed the seller had ‘make offer’ so managed to get a few quid knocked off too.

will try get it in next week and get them fitted then hopefully problem solved and ready for its service and MOT next month

·
Registered
12 Posts
Finally ordered the parts, noticed the seller had ‘make offer’ so managed to get a few quid knocked off too.

will try get it in next week and get them fitted then hopefully problem solved and ready for its service and MOT next month
Let us know how you got on with these sensors as our Astra K has just turned 4 so expecting sensors needing done before next M.O.T. cheers ;

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Let us know how you got on with these sensors as our Astra K has just turned 4 so expecting sensors needing done before next M.O.T. cheers ;
Hoping to get it in next week as I need mine doing before it’s MOT on 7th July so will let you know.
Tempted to place 1 by the car, test the other 3 then when I get to the dead tyre sensor, scan the new 1. See if it detects it. 🤔 but haven’t through fear of killing the new sensor. Before it’s been fitted.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts