Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, the vehicle is a 66 plate Astra K 1.0 eco

Hi guys
The wife rang me a few days ago and informed me ‘SERVICE TPMS’ appeared on the Dash, and of the tyres was no longer reporting the tyre pressure
After reading a few forum posts I assumed it to just need resetting / relearning. So bought a relearn tool.
I have been working away in Southampton for a few days. So when I got home today I went straight out to the car to relearn the
. And found the TPMS relearn tool to acknowledge all but 1 tyre. I have restarted the process numerous times.

The issue now, as it won’t recognise 1 of 4 tyres, it’s showing no reading for the other 3, as it obviously hasn’t completed the full cycle of all 4, am I right in thinking the problematic tpms is well and truly dead and the only resolution is to have it replaced?
Had a look at Eurocarparts and they sell replacements, but have read some need programming to the ECU before being installed on the wheel. Not that it’s something a diy’er can do as it means pulling the tyre off the rim

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
Yes the tpms sensors sits on the inside of the alloy, next to the valve stem. So if you need to replace it the tyre needs to come off. They're not too expensive to replace and a good independent tyre fitting place should be able to sort you one out or you could replace the 4. You could even supply the fitting place your own. The valve stems can also be replaced separately and don't need to be programmed in.
I have an 18 plate Astra and downgraded my alloys for comfort (16"), had the 4 wheels powder coated first, then I just used a relearn tool to prog them in without issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Boroboy,
Long time no speak, hope you have been well. Going to have to get in touch with some garages on Monday, unfortunately my MOT is due beginning of July, and a guaranteed automatic fail. Hopefully not too expensive to have it done.
Euros are currently selling them retail £40, reputable garage will probably be able to get them considerably cheaper (hopefully) then I suppose it’s just Labour on top.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
These TPMS sensors run off of a small battery.

They are rated for a battery life of 4-5 years, so it's probably the battery that is depleted.

I would have all 4 changed, as getting one changed will only result in, the next one dying on you in a month or so, and then the next and then the next.

I think the reasoning behind only making them with a battery that lasts 5 years, is that at 5 years, you should really change the tyres, even if they are not worn down.

Rule of thumb would be "If rubber needs replacing and the TPMS sensors are 4+ years", get them changed at the same time as they change the rubber, as it will cost almost nothing in labor for them to change the sensors if they have the rubber off of the rim anyway to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
Hi Boroboy,
Long time no speak, hope you have been well. Going to have to get in touch with some garages on Monday, unfortunately my MOT is due beginning of July, and a guaranteed automatic fail. Hopefully not too expensive to have it done.
Euros are currently selling them retail £40, reputable garage will probably be able to get them considerably cheaper (hopefully) then I suppose it’s just Labour on top.
I've noticed that all euros serviceable parts have gone up recently for obvious reasons, you should get a decent price from a trusted independent tyre fitting place, maybe avoid kwikfit. Then you have to consider the condition of your tyres too, if you are going to take them off to change the sensors, all adds up to the extra cost.
When I swapped my wheels over, they already had sensors on, but I did swap some wheels on a previous K, provided the tpms sensors too. Although I had time to pick up an original set of tpms sensors relatively cheaply off eBay. At the time the garage said £150 for the 4, to supply and fit, Inc new stems. I provided the sensors, plus the wheels and a set of new tyres to put on and the garage did the 4 for £10 each:ROFLMAO:Doubt I'd get them that cheap, again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys I will give a few garages a call tomorrow and get some quotes together. I agree, having all 4 done at the same time will be more cost effective.
Popped a job request, on the likes of ‘whocanfixmycar’ and ‘Mycarneedsa’ so possibly get some responses off there too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just had a look on tyres on the drive to get a idea of price. So, £66.99 per tyre then, in terms of the TPMS replacement cost, is that £80 per tyre or £80 for all 4? It’s not very clear what I’m getting for my money
Clock Font Material property Watch Parallel

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
can’t seem to find any other tyre shops showing ‘replacement TPMS’. Although I normally avoid kwik fit they offer a TPMS service kit, £6 per tyre. Which makes me wonder. As the TPMS are battery powered. Are the batteries replaceable? Or are they going to come to me after pulling off the dead sensor and adding an additional cost to replace.

additionally, the TPMS relearn tool has a ‘low battery’ led, is this detecting the battery on the tpms itself or the battery in the relearn tool. I’m assuming it’s the battery of the tpms

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
can’t seem to find any other tyre shops showing ‘replacement TPMS’. Although I normally avoid kwik fit they offer a TPMS service kit, £6 per tyre. Which makes me wonder. As the TPMS are battery powered. Are the batteries replaceable? Or are they going to come to me after pulling off the dead sensor and adding an additional cost to replace.

additionally, the TPMS relearn tool has a ‘low battery’ led, is this detecting the battery on the tpms itself or the battery in the relearn tool. I’m assuming it’s the battery of the tpms
It could be the relearn tool battery that was low, I had to replace the battery on mine once.
You may be better off just ringing a tyre fitting place for cost of replacement sensors.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
managed to get in touch with F1 Autocentres, they said Vauxhalls they’ve done in the past haven’t worked properly with aftermarket TPMS so they only use official Vauxhall parts

ballpark figure as he couldn’t get an actual figure with it being a Sunday and Vauxhall being closed, he gave was £80-£100 per sensor. Supplied and fitted.

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
managed to get in touch with F1 Autocentres, they said Vauxhalls they’ve done in the past haven’t worked properly with aftermarket TPMS so they only use official Vauxhall parts

ballpark figure as he couldn’t get an actual figure with it being a Sunday and Vauxhall being closed, he gave was £80-£100 per sensor. Supplied and fitted.
That sounds pricey. If you can get the correct part number ect, you could buy 4 yourself, then have a garage fit them for you. I bought 4 original ones new off eBay, bought them separately, took me a few months, as I wasn't in any rush. Don't think I paid over £20 per sensor, then had my garage fit them.
Maybe @Valer could help you with the part numbers?
I can't remember their part numbers, as it was a few years ago now when I fitted mine to a previous K. I also supplied the tyres & alloys too, just rung the garage first, explained what I had, whether they could fit them.

·
Registered
398 Posts
How are the batteries replaced? Is there a simple little battery carriage that slides out with the battery like all normal equipment, or does the sensor need to be take apart to reveal the battery?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
No tpms i've seen has replaceable batteries,i much prefer the sound of the DDS system working off the ABS,
it piggybacks off a system that already has to be on the car rather than adding more stuff just to pack up at some point.

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
No tpms i've seen has replaceable batteries,i much prefer the sound of the DDS system working off the ABS,
it piggybacks off a system that already has to be on the car rather than adding more stuff just to pack up at some point.
Agree about the DDS/ABS system, although it probably costs more to manufacture at first, maybe the reason vauxhall fitted tpms to start with.
I also prefer the metal type more sturdy valve stems, too. Made to last and can be reused. It's just manufacturers with their throw away culture.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts