Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
When did they add in this new gasket? My car is a 67 plate, but comes under as 2018
I dont think any 1.6d was ever "born" with this gasket.

They changed over to a 3 pot 1.5d for the 2020 onward astra, and i dont think there were any mention of this gasket before 2020.

They had this campaign, where if a costumer complained about chain rattle, they could fit this gasket to mitigate the problem, but that was only in 2021, until december 31, 2021.

Your 2018 is definitively not factory fitted with the gasket as far as i know, in 2018 they were still holding on to their "It's not a fault, it's an engine characteristic"

You know, this was back in the days where people would have been able to claim warranty repair on the engines if they admitted they were faulty or had subpar components and they had just been forced to dump a shit-ton of money into all of these diesel's to fix the clutch/brake problem.

The gasket and repair procedure only came out when warranties had run out.

Total coinsidense offcourse. :confused:

They were able to do the full chain/guide/tensioner/gasket repair on Stellantis bill, but this was reserved for people that :

1. Were long time loyal costumers
2. Had every stamp in the book, and only from vauxhall workshops
3. People they deemed likely to buy a vauxhall next time as well.

Even if you had every stamp in the book, and bill's that said that the right oil was changed, and at the right intervals, they would refuse you, this was pure damage control, for people deemed good, return costumers.

The "We will add the tensioner gasket for free" atleast here, looked more like a money-grab as you had to sign a deal, that said that they would disassemble the engine to fit the gasket and possibly replace the tensioner, but that if they found further damage to the chain guides, you would have to either.

1. Pay the price of taking the car further apart, to get to the chain guides, and so on to replace them. (Estimated price £2000+)
2. Pay the price of fitting the tensioner yourself.

So if THEY deemed it needed further repair, the "For free" part totally vanished.

To be honest, i did not trust vauxhall enough to essentially hand over my credit card, and let their moral and ethics, dictate how much money they would take from me.

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
Damn...I'll be out of warranty with the manufacturer then. I currently have some warranty also left from the place I bought it at (Carshop UK). But I fear when it isn't a Vauxhall dealer/garage, they won't know how to fix the issue
It may never become an issue for you, either. When it first occured for me, it was only during cold starts, then very slowly progressed from there. I'd have the gasket fix done first if it was my car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It may never become an issue for you, either. When it first occured for me, it was only during cold starts, then very slowly progressed from there. I'd have the gasket fix done first if it was my car.
I'm trying to find places that will do it but after contacting a few places, none of them seem to know about this issue with the Astra and just want to replace the timing chain

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
I'm trying to find places that will do it but after contacting a few places, none of them seem to know about this issue with the Astra and just want to replace the timing chain
If it's still under manufacturers warranty, have you tried a main dealer? Just go into one and speak to a service manager.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If it's still under manufacturers warranty, have you tried a main dealer? Just go into one and speak to a service manager.
I am waiting to hear back from Perry's (Vauxhalls main dealer) but they are so so over priced. It costs £300 with them just to change the front brake pads and discs, not even the back.

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
I am waiting to hear back from Perry's (Vauxhalls main dealer) but they are so so over priced. It costs £300 with them just to change the front brake pads and discs, not even the back.
If your timing chain started to become intermittently noisy maybe they'd change it for free, if it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I think a man dealer price will be astronomical and no doubt will find other things as car is out of warranty. Try a load of independents , one of them will know about the issue. You are in for a hefty bill unfortunately but as Boro said you have to drop engine so it is a big job to undertake.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
If this is vauxhall garages, i would not be surprised.

I took my Zafira B in for a gearbox whine, this was around 2012, and they looked at it and deemed the gearbox to need replacing (M32) and claimed that they had never heard of this problem before.

This was a complete lie offcourse, and i knew it, because the previous owner was a "high mileage" user, he had already had the gearbox replaced under warranty at about 60.000 and then at his own expense at 120.000. I then had the problem reappear (Surprise surprise, they kept fitting the same gearbox without modifications) at approximately 180.000

I found an independent gearbox remanufacturer, they said they had done LOADS of these gearboxes, many of them from the dealer i talked to, that had never heard about that problem.

Ended up paying about 40% of the quoted price for a new gearbox from vauxhall, and they shimmed the bearings a lot better than they originally were, and the gearbox ran trouble free until the engine finally died at about 260.000 miles.

This is part of why i did not trust vauxhall dealers at ALL.

·
Super Moderator
1,918 Posts
If this is vauxhall garages, i would not be surprised.

I took my Zafira B in for a gearbox whine, this was around 2012, and they looked at it and deemed the gearbox to need replacing (M32) and claimed that they had never heard of this problem before.

This was a complete lie offcourse, and i knew it, because the previous owner was a "high mileage" user, he had already had the gearbox replaced under warranty at about 60.000 and then at his own expense at 120.000. I then had the problem reappear (Surprise surprise, they kept fitting the same gearbox without modifications) at approximately 180.000

I found an independent gearbox remanufacturer, they said they had done LOADS of these gearboxes, many of them from the dealer i talked to, that had never heard about that problem.

Ended up paying about 40% of the quoted price for a new gearbox from vauxhall, and they shimmed the bearings a lot better than they originally were, and the gearbox ran trouble free until the engine finally died at about 260.000 miles.

This is part of why i did not trust vauxhall dealers at ALL.
I've had 3, M32's replaced under manufacturers warranty and one auto box, fortunately. So I'm no stranger to the dreaded whine:ROFLMAO:
It's funny when I visit a dealer, I'm thinking to myself "I'm not going to spend money", the dealer thinks "now here comes a cashcow", one of us are going to lose out :ROFLMAO:
As far as main dealers go, I don't trust any, not just vauxhall specific, as they're all in business to make money from us, however they manage to do so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Hope you're all okay, I just have 2 quick questions regarding the Astra K.

In regards to the existing timing chain issues on the diesel, from what I've read, it can almost be prevented with the right oil. My question is can anyone recommend the correct oil and brand needed to be used in my Astra K to ensure I can avoid this issue. I'll list my reg and VIN at the bottom.

My second question is, when travelling at higher speeds, has anyone ever noticed a noise in the car almost sounding like a helicopter? I'm not sure if it's a brake issue or a characteristic of the car

All help is appreciated.

VIN: W0VBF6EK8JG046565
Reg: FP67PHJ
It sounds like a helicopter because the rear windows are open. Close them and the noise will go away.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts