Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hope you're all okay, I just have 2 quick questions regarding the Astra K.

In regards to the existing timing chain issues on the diesel, from what I've read, it can almost be prevented with the right oil. My question is can anyone recommend the correct oil and brand needed to be used in my Astra K to ensure I can avoid this issue. I'll list my reg and VIN at the bottom.

My second question is, when travelling at higher speeds, has anyone ever noticed a noise in the car almost sounding like a helicopter? I'm not sure if it's a brake issue or a characteristic of the car

All help is appreciated.

VIN: W0VBF6EK8JG046565
Reg: FP67PHJ

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
It's best to use manufacturers recommended oil, may be 0w 20 for that engine, but I'm sure @Valer would be able to confirm for sure.
I can't say I ever remembered hearing an 'helicopter', type noise when driving my previous Astra K 1.6d.
The timing chain noise, when it starts, very hard to miss. With mine it started at first during initial start up, then gradually became worse over time, but I did have a year without any timing chain noise at all.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I already answered on Vxon (y)

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
I got it right, then:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mate, so would this be okay:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
My Astra had never had anything that was not the right Dexos oil, i had the receipt to prove it (Unless the garages were untruthful on the receipts)

Mine still had the startup rattle, and had begun rattling sometimes when stopping at a traffic light, so while it might not be a bad idea to use the right oil, it is by no means a sure cure for the problem.

Also, if the problem would be cured with special oils, i dont think Vauxhall would have uprated the chain tensioner, and made a new gasket that needed fitting to "solve" the problem (Solve in quotes, because i have heard of people having the fix applied, and the car still began rattling again, shortly after.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Astra had never had anything that was not the right Dexos oil, i had the receipt to prove it (Unless the garages were untruthful on the receipts)

Mine still had the startup rattle, and had begun rattling sometimes when stopping at a traffic light, so while it might not be a bad idea to use the right oil, it is by no means a sure cure for the problem.

Also, if the problem would be cured with special oils, i dont think Vauxhall would have uprated the chain tensioner, and made a new gasket that needed fitting to "solve" the problem (Solve in quotes, because i have heard of people having the fix applied, and the car still began rattling again, shortly after.)
When did they add in this new gasket? My car is a 67 plate, but comes under as 2018

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
The gasket was an after thought, think it was initially added due to owners complaints. As I previously owned a 1.6d that rattled, but wasn't recognised by vauxall as a problem at the time.
My advise to you is don't worry about something that hasn't happened yet. They're a very nice engine to use and run, economical too. Just change the oil on a regular basis.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The gasket was an after thought, think it was initially added due to owners complaints. As I previously owned a 1.6d that rattled, but wasn't recognised by vauxall as a problem at the time.
My advise to you is don't worry about something that hasn't happened yet. They're a very nice engine to use and run, economical too. Just change the oil on a regular basis.
It is a bit annoying knowing it will come...I got the car on 44K miles so is there a chance someone might have had it already looked into?

Also what is it that needs to be done to this one to fix the issue and is it critical it be fixed? If I drive with the rattle will it continue to cause damage?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
There's a few threads on here about the issue,have a read through this one,
it should save 20 questions and a lot of people having to repeat themselves

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
It is a bit annoying knowing it will come...I got the car on 44K miles so is there a chance someone might have had it already looked into?

Also what is it that needs to be done to this one to fix the issue and is it critical it be fixed? If I drive with the rattle will it continue to cause damage?
It may not happen, what I'm trying to say. Mine was at around 27k, but I've seen some of these engines do over 100k. To replace the timing chain, guides and tensioners. You have to drop the engine to do so.
Personally I'd try not to worry about it, until it happens, if it ever does.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It may not happen, what I'm trying to say. Mine was at around 27k, but I've seen some of these engines do over 100k. To replace the timing chain, guides and tensioners. You have to drop the engine to do so.
Personally I'd try not to worry about it, until it happens, if it ever does.
Where did you take it to be fixed and how much did you end up paying, just out of interest

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't, I sold it back to the vauxhall garage. Back then a full chain kit replacement from vauxhall was around 2k, prob get it done for half that now from an independent.
Yeah I'll try and get it somewhere. I have extended warranty on this but in order for it to be warrantiee, the part has to "fail" otherwise I have to pay

1 - 20 of 32 Posts