Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having a 1.0T as a courtesy car I am now looking to trade the J in Asap.
Really impressed with the response from this little engine and the way the car drives in general but can anyone advise how good the 1.0T is on the motorway in terms of mpg if you were travelling between 75-80mph? I know it won't return what Vauxhall say but would it be mid to late 40's ,maybe even 50mpg.? Just curious as I do quite a few long journeys through out the year and can get 42 out of a 1.6 J.
I did manage 37 round town but that was with the sport switch on every time and enjoying the turbo :D plus that was only the trip reading and not a manual calculation.
Also what's the economy like if you drive normally around town? Anyone seen 40?
One thing I did find strange is not been able to use 4th at 30mph as it just didn't feel right and the shift indicator was saying use 3rd...I assume this is the norm for this engine but would welcome any comments from someone who already has one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
I would think you would get mid to late 40's at those sort of speeds. I think I've seen 51mpg on the display after a motorway run at 70mph, which as it over-reads slightly is probably around 49mpg. I'm averaging between 43 and 46mpg at the moment. I've found on the level the car will sit at 30mph in 4th, but if you want to accelerate away you'll want to drop it into 3rd. It will pull from 30 in 4th if you are very very gentle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
To be honest I rarely use it, but I did try a tank full with it on but it didn't seem to make much difference. I guess if you floor it everywhere, with or without sport mode it'll drink more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1900sr said:
To be honest I rarely use it, but I did try a tank full with it on but it didn't seem to make much difference. I guess if you floor it everywhere, with or without sport mode it'll drink more.
that's good to know, thought it may have change the amount of fuel it used slightly...and thank you for your quick response...also anything you aren't happy with regarding the car? any options you find useful or could live without?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
4th likes 28mph and above, coming from a J and as a driving instructor I also found the gear ratios a little off, you should change to 4th at 25mph but when you try it feels a little rough. The car wants to pull in every gear and seems to do so without hesitation so is much more geared towards a lead-footed driver like myself than a learner but I'm really happy and impressed with it, I never expected such performance from a 1.0, accelerating from the lights is a joy and this is all without engaging the sports button. ⛽ economy is less than I was hoping for but as you can tell I don't drive like miss daisy although I don't rip it either.
800 miles done so far.
Go for it I say you will love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
JJ-Yorks said:
that's good to know, thought it may have change the amount of fuel it used slightly...and thank you for your quick response...also anything you aren't happy with regarding the car? any options you find useful or could live without?
Apart from my well documented disappointment with the fuel economy I can't think of anything I'm unhappy with. I could do without the gloss black trim, I'm not sure how useful the driving assistance pack is, and without Nav I think the Onstar advisors will only be useful in an emergency. I'd still like a spare wheel, and I think park assist would've been nice maybe. I would be happy to have another 1.0, though I might go for a more basic spec and add some options next time as I'd like the auto I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
All of the engines in the range seem good. How many motorway miles are you doing each year?

Most of my miles are on roads doing 50-60 mph or motorways and I am getting about 59mpg if that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Proph said:
4th likes 28mph and above, coming from a J and as a driving instructor I also found the gear ratios a little off, you should change to 4th at 25mph but when you try it feels a little rough. The car wants to pull in every gear and seems to do so without hesitation so is much more geared towards a lead-footed driver like myself than a learner but I'm really happy and impressed with it, I never expected such performance from a 1.0, accelerating from the lights is a joy and this is all without engaging the sports button. ⛽ economy is less than I was hoping for but as you can tell I don't drive like miss daisy although I don't rip it either.
800 miles done so far.
Go for it I say you will love it.
I bet your pupils prefer the new astra to the old for learning to park...the J is not an easy car to park but the K is much easier due to the bulk of the exterior been reduced...you don't realise how much of a tank the J is until you go from the K back into the J...everything is so much lighter which shows in the way it drives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
1900sr said:
I'm not sure how useful the driving assistance pack is
I actually like it a lot more than I expected.

The speed limit display works phenomenally well - I've never seen it fail to update or show the wrong speed limit. It changes the second I pass a speed sign and is 100% accurate, even when turning into roads without speed signs, thanks to the link with the Nav system. It's also in colour (black number in red circle), on my SRi Nav as the Nav option upgrades the driver info screen to colour as well as increasing the main screen from 7" to 8".

Lane assist is also very good - I was a bit dubious at first but after several hundred miles and two weeks driving a mix of urban, motorway and twisty country lanes I think it's excellent. It even works on some country roads (with clear road markings), not just motorways and A roads. The nudge effect is just right - subtle but effective.

The collision warning and auto braking I've hardly seen operate but I think they could be really useful in an emergency.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
UKtekkie said:
1900sr said:
I'm not sure how useful the driving assistance pack is
I actually like it a lot more than I expected.

The speed limit display works phenomenally well - I've never seen it fail to update or show the wrong speed limit. It changes the second I pass a speed sign and is 100% accurate, even when turning into roads without speed signs, thanks to the link with the Nav system. It's also in colour (black number in red circle), on my SRi Nav as the Nav option upgrades the driver info screen to colour as well as increasing the main screen from 7" to 8".

Lane assist is also very good - I was a bit dubious at first but after several hundred miles and two weeks driving a mix of urban, motorway and twisty country lanes I think it's excellent. It even works on some country roads (with clear road markings), not just motorways and A roads. The nudge effect is just right - subtle but effective.

The collision warning and auto braking I've hardly seen operate but I think they could be really useful in an emergency.
I do like the speed limit display, but mine (without Nav) has been fooled occasionally. There is a stretch of the A47 coming into Peterborough that is a 50 limit, and the car has read it on two or three different journeys as 60, for at least three signs. It also got fooled by a 30mph sign on a parallel road, the road I was on was 60.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1900sr said:
UKtekkie said:
1900sr said:
I'm not sure how useful the driving assistance pack is
I actually like it a lot more than I expected.

The speed limit display works phenomenally well - I've never seen it fail to update or show the wrong speed limit. It changes the second I pass a speed sign and is 100% accurate, even when turning into roads without speed signs, thanks to the link with the Nav system. It's also in colour (black number in red circle), on my SRi Nav as the Nav option upgrades the driver info screen to colour as well as increasing the main screen from 7" to 8".

Lane assist is also very good - I was a bit dubious at first but after several hundred miles and two weeks driving a mix of urban, motorway and twisty country lanes I think it's excellent. It even works on some country roads (with clear road markings), not just motorways and A roads. The nudge effect is just right - subtle but effective.

The collision warning and auto braking I've hardly seen operate but I think they could be really useful in an emergency.
I do like the speed limit display, but mine (without Nav) has been fooled occasionally. There is a stretch of the A47 coming into Peterborough that is a 50 limit, and the car has read it on two or three different journeys as 60, for at least three signs. It also got fooled by a 30mph sign on a parallel road, the road I was on was 60.
Just a quick question, what fuel range does a full tank give as I believe the tank is a fair bit smaller than on the J??
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top