Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’ll shortly be taking delivery of an Astra K hatchback

It comes with a spare wheel in the back, and to gain a bit more space I’d like to switch this out for a inflation kit/lower boot floor (I appreciate that many will see this as an unwise move).

Is there a guide/how to for me to follow in order to do this? And a list of what I’ll need?

rom my understanding I’ll need
  • Lower boot floor
  • inflation kit and foam surround
  • sealant spray and foam surround

Does anyone know the steps to remove the spare tyre and all its mounting frame, and then swap in the above? Any other things I’ll need to buy?

·
Registered
918 Posts
You'll gain a bit more height and you'll lose the flat floor as the actual boot floor is weirdly shaped and your shopping will fall over! :LOL:

Doesn't the foam can go inside one of the rear wing compartments?

Not sure how or what the tyre mounting frame is connected to (I assume it unscrews?) - otherwise you should just be able to pull the wheel and toolkit out and put down one of the shaped anti-slip boot liners similar to this:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
@NewToAstra
Yep most want to go in the other direction so you may find a complete set up for sale somewhere,
plus you should be able to sell all your bits to someone wanting to go in the other direction.
You won't need a lower boot floor,just undo the spare wing nut,remove the wheel and unscrew the fixing stud from the floor,
then just remove the two piece false floor.
They do a proper insulated mat to fit as well,(39028553) much quieter than just running with a plastic boot liner,
then you have to buy a holder for the sealant and tools plus another for the electric tyre pump.

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
Having owned an Astra K with a spare and without. I prefer the boot without for the extra space. I've also put a two piece boot liner down that has some carpet on the top, which probably helps with insolation.
Now I'll get a puncture for saying that :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was put off buying the Astra as I could not find one with a spare wheel, not even a space saver. However when I got the chance to buy an Ultimate Nav 1.2 with great spec, I changed my mind and bought it. Here's what the boot looks like with the Bose sound system and polystyrene boot liner support. Oddly there looks room within the moulding to accommodate a space saver wheel and it looks like they were thinking about it as does have semi circular shape.

Building Rectangle Gas Fixture Monochrome

By the way, does anyone know if the odd shapes in moulding should contain anything.

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
I was put off buying the Astra as I could not find one with a spare wheel, not even a space saver. However when I got the chance to buy an Ultimate Nav 1.2 with great spec, I changed my mind and bought it. Here's what the boot looks like with the Bose sound system and polystyrene boot liner support. Oddly there looks room within the moulding to accommodate a space saver wheel and it looks like they were thinking about it as does have semi circular shape.

View attachment 8697
By the way, does anyone know if the odd shapes in moulding should contain anything.
Just extra storage, I'd say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@NewToAstra
…then you have to buy a holder for the sealant and tools plus another for the electric tyre pump.
On my “Sports Tourer” the inflation pump, towing eye and sealer are all in one bag in the side panel.

If someone is disposing of the entire kit for the space saver (jack, wheel brace, foam, retaining nut/bolt, wheel, etc), I might be interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The magic cupboard in my 2016 K

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Font

Inside you find the cubbys for the sealant and tools, top, and the pump, bottom. Sealant foam held in by the plastic bolt bottom right
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Pump foam looks like it will pull out if the parchment thin carpet is pulled out of the way
Automotive tire Vehicle door Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

I think the full Vauxhall kit takes up too much space, so I bought a full size spare wheel and tyre and carry it and a trolley jack on longer journeys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The magic cupboard in my 2016 K

View attachment 8739

Inside you find the cubbys for the sealant and tools, top, and the pump, bottom. Sealant foam held in by the plastic bolt bottom right
View attachment 8740

Pump foam looks like it will pull out if the parchment thin carpet is pulled out of the way
View attachment 8741

I think the full Vauxhall kit takes up too much space, so I bought a full size spare wheel and tyre and carry it and a trolley jack on longer journeys.
Fantastic, thank you!

And thanks all for your help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts