Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Anyone else have this issue with their Astra chipping very easily? Had the car since 20th April of this year and this has already happened on front bonit. There is also a few more down side of doors.

I'm taking it to be touched up soon but is there a way other than PPF to prevent or at least mitigate the impact of stone chips?

On this paint It just seems to happen so easily

Water Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
@Pompeydave beat me to it:ROFLMAO:
Yes I own a red Astra, yes it chips and scratches very easily, paint seems to be soft.
I seem to see extra stone chips on it every time I wash it. So I just touch the worst ones up and have gave up with trying to repaint panels.
Waxing it well may help, as I always have done so.
The paint quality has gone down within my opinion since my previous Astra H & J owning days.
Most of my chips are a lot smaller than your largest one within your picture, but I'd say half of mine have gone right through to the base metal. Other half down to the white primer, underneath.

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
Afraid I agree with you also. 20 reg astra diesel elite in hot red worst paint I have ever seen for chipping. Now wax mine every week and it seems to help!
I've had my bonnet repainted twice, once prior to buying it and after hitting a pheasant:ROFLMAO:Can't blame stone chips for the second paint job, though.
Body shops must make a lot of cash out of vauxhall drivers.
I'll be touching up my touch ups, soon:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think the early Power Red cars were a 2 coat solid but not sure if that continued long into the K or was it just the J?

Mine's got a few stone chips but all of them have only gone through to the white primer at worst.
I tried using a touch up paint stick but in many ways it looked worse due to the inevitable 'bump' in the flat shiny surface.
Eventually I took a punt on some bright red tinted T-Cut or Turtle Wax (?) and applying a generous amount over the chips before buffing off when dry seems to diminish them.

I had a Deep Sky Blue 1.4T before the current car - beautiful colour but by far the worst for picking up stone chips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi all,

Anyone else have this issue with their Astra chipping very easily? Had the car since 20th April of this year and this has already happened on front bonit. There is also a few more down side of doors.

I'm taking it to be touched up soon but is there a way other than PPF to prevent or at least mitigate the impact of stone chips?

On this paint It just seems to happen so easily

View attachment 8685
Bonnet protector might help.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had my bonnet repainted twice, once prior to buying it and after hitting a pheasant:ROFLMAO:Can't blame stone chips for the second paint job, though.
From what I have read, it seems to be the certain colours like the Power Red. My cars colour comes under 'Metallic - Mineral B' assuming that means Mineral Black. I would want to get PPF but it's so expensive! It's the same price as going on bloody holiday!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also could I ask ... On here, what is my paint/colour code
Handwriting Font Chalk Automotive tire Glass

·
Registered
162 Posts
No difference as regards to stone chipping between solid paint colours or metallic paint. Modern cars use a different paint application than in the good old days. A primer is applied & then a flat base coat colour is applied on top. It’s the application of the clear coat that gives the base colour coat it’s lustre & shine & protection from stone chip damage. You notice this when you see a cars clear coat breaking up & flaking away , mostly tends to be black & red colours that suffer most from clear coats breaking up & flaking off. Very annoying as all the clear coat must be removed before a panel can be resprayed with clear coat. Keeps mobile paint repair technicians busy lol 🤣

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
Comparing a previous K that was within metallic silver to my current red car Astra now. The metallic car in flip chip silver was marginally better. It still had a very thin metallic paint, it chipped and scratched easily, but my current red car chips at a faster rate, also a lot of my chips are down to base metal. That didn't seem to happen as much with the metallic Astra, most were down to the primer.
Generally though, I've found the paint to be poorer on the K, than my previous Adtra J's, H's, G's and mk 2's (never owned a mk 1) :ROFLMAO: I think the most resilient paint I've owned was on my previous 57 plate Astra 1.6sxi, was silver metallic and had very few stone chips or scratches on it and I covered 60k in that, all panels were original. I've now covered around 12k in my K, it has a lot more chips, scratches already. Bonnet repainted twice, lower front bumper, once.
I'm just living with them now, just touch them up, after washing my car:ROFLMAO:
Although generally, not manufacture specific, I think black and red are the worst colours for showing stone chips up.
Think I'll buy a silver car next or maybe white, white would be good if it had a white primer :ROFLMAO: Not usually the case though.

·
Registered
918 Posts
@Boroboy yes, Star Silver was the best colour for the Astra G - also it is a reasonable match for the alloy wheel silver if you get a chip!
For the H, Silver Lightning was the nicest and didn't show much dirt!

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Boroboy yes, Star Silver was the best colour for the Astra G - also it is a reasonable match for the alloy wheel silver if you get a chip!
For the H, Silver Lightning was the nicest and didn't show much dirt!
Was it power red with the Astra K that tended to show the most chips?

I think getting this Astra may have been a mistake lol

·
Registered
918 Posts
Was it power red with the Astra K that tended to show the most chips?

I think getting this Astra may have been a mistake lol
Mine is a Jan 2016 Power Red and isn't showing many - there are a few but they aren't very big or visible against the 'in yer face' red. Perhaps the demo models got an extra coat!? :ROFLMAO:
That said the car is 6.5 years old and has only done about 21000 miles, most of which aren't on roads covered with rocks.

The J's Power Red was definitely a 2 coat solid - even said so in the book. When did Power get replaced by Lava?

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine is a Jan 2016 Power Red and isn't showing many - there are a few but they aren't very big or visible against the 'in yer face' red. Perhaps the demo models got an extra coat!? :ROFLMAO:
That said the car is 6.5 years old and has only done about 21000 miles, most of which aren't on roads covered with rocks.

The J's Power Red was definitely a 2 coat solid - even said so in the book. When did Power get replaced by Lava?
I like the car and how it drives (So far... pending timing chain issue to happen yet lol!)

But I already think this will be my last Vauxhall for a while. Seems like a lot of money for low quality all around...should have just gone for a cheap Golf lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've started to notice a few chips since I picked up my 1.4 in January. Mine is white, Boroboy, and the front plastic lower valance has a black base colour - so stone chips really stand out.

What is the recommendation for touch up paint? Dealer or online/Amazon/Ebay ?

Paint code is Z 40R TAQL I19 - presumably Glacier White in old money ?
Pete

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
I've started to notice a few chips since I picked up my 1.4 in January. Mine is white, Boroboy, and the front plastic lower valance has a black base colour - so stone chips really stand out.

What is the recommendation for touch up paint? Dealer or online/Amazon/Ebay ?

Paint code is Z 40R TAQL I19 - presumably Glacier White in old money ?
Pete
I just bought mine off eBay, mine is the same as this-
Seems to do the job fine, although I just use the brush now, as the pen part was blocked. Wasn't at first.
Liquid Fluid Measuring instrument Tool Font

1 - 20 of 37 Posts