1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Astra 1.0T SRI and 2015 Insignia 2.0 CDTI SRI
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

After some advice please.

I noticed the other day that when I pull the steering wheel towards me from the top, there is a bit of movement, its like the whole column mudges towards me.

Best way I can describe it is, when I was getting out the car, I held the top of the steering wheel to get out, and as I was getting out, I felt the top of the steering wheel move towards me.

I have since put my head into the drivers footwell, and I can actually see/feel the actual colums clunk slightly when I pull the steering wheel. It looks like the issue (if its an issue) is right down by the universal joint, where the shaft comes from the steering wheel just before it joins the UV joint.

Any advise, ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
How much does it move? 1-2mm? And is it to a firm stop or does it feel like it would keep moving if you kept pulling?

Mine move a couple of mm if you pull on it as you describe, but then stops and won’t move anymore. I put that down to a small amount of play in the pivot which I think is acceptable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much does it move? 1-2mm? And is it to a firm stop or does it feel like it would keep moving if you kept pulling?

Mine move a couple of mm if you pull on it as you describe, but then stops and won’t move anymore. I put that down to a small amount of play in the pivot which I think is acceptable.
I think its exactly as you say. Pull and it moves then stops.

Tried the same on my Insignia and its solid. No rocking.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
In here i think there were a few that had their car fail the MOT, because the steering wheel could be moved up and down (Not "in and out") and subsequently had to have the whole steering column replaced at their own expense.

Also i think someone said, that vauxhall had said that the newly installed steering column was exactly the same as the old one, so there was a fair chance the new one would start doing the same.

And offcourse, in usual Vauxhall fashion, there were no admission of fault, on the part of the weak/defective steering column, but they were more than happy to replace it, at full cost.

Just one of multiple problems my astra also had, and one of the reasons i got rid of it, before having to sink large sums of cash into it.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
As long as its not dangreous, I am happy for it to remain as is, but will be keeping an eye on it.
I dont think it is dangerous, neither your in/out and other astra owners up down, but then you have the force of the MOT inspector.

If he says it is bad, what are you to do, other than get it fixed.

Reactions: Shaky

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think it is dangerous, neither your in/out and other astra owners up down, but then you have the force of the MOT inspector.

If he says it is bad, what are you to do, other than get it fixed.
True, I'll wait until the next mot and just keep an eye on it to ensure its not getting any worse.

·
Super Moderator
91 Posts
I posted this in 2019.
Mine was in for service and first MOT today, and failed with a "Repair immediately (major defect) . Steering wheel has movement relative to the column indicating looseness [2.2.1 (a) (i)]"

The repair work required was to fit a new steering column, which they had in stock. Fortunately, this was replaced under warranty which runs out in a few days.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
There is a blog on you tube this is a fault on all k models mines also does it its normal and perfectly safe
As Quarryhunslet mentions he (And others) have been told that their car failed the MOT because of this steering wheel play, so all it takes is for those MOT b*stards to start taking together, and suddenly they will all fail these. :devilish:

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
385 Posts
When mine next goes for an MOT I’ll try an remember to pull the steering wheel towards me for the 1-2mm it travels. That’s because I only ever notice it if I pull on the wheel getting out of the car, so let’s try and make sure the wheel is already pulled forward in case the MoT inspector does the same.

Thing is, why is it a safety issue? The car can still be steered if the whole column is unlocked (c’mon - you telling me you’ve never adjusted it on the move!?). A tiny movement is neither here nor there UNLESS there is suspicion that the whole column is about to fail.

I’d have a look if it’s possible for some shims to be strategically placed to solve the problem, before replacing the whole column.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When mine next goes for an MOT I’ll try an remember to pull the steering wheel towards me for the 1-2mm it travels. That’s because I only ever notice it if I pull on the wheel getting out of the car, so let’s try and make sure the wheel is already pulled forward in case the MoT inspector does the same.
We share the same thought process - LOL. Was thinking the exact same.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts

Thing is, why is it a safety issue? The car can still be steered if the whole column is unlocked (c’mon - you telling me you’ve never adjusted it on the move!?). A tiny movement is neither here nor there UNLESS there is suspicion that the whole column is about to fail.

I’d have a look if it’s possible for some shims to be strategically placed to solve the problem, before replacing the whole column.
My guess is that there must be no play in the steering wheel column when it is in the locked position.

Honestly, it is not dangerous, but you know what they say about giving small insignificant people a bit of power.... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts