Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ,, does anyone else have sporadic stalling issues with their diesel ?

mine has always had off days where it will stall repeatedly , usually approaching junctions or giveways when you depress the clutch to select first etc itll just die - this issue seemed to not reoccur on mine after it broke down and was fixed by vauxhall over turbo underboost fault issue but today it seems to have returned

car just died on a petrol forecourt ,, restarted and stalled out like 8 times before finally being able to actually move the last 3 feet to a fuel pump - car had just under half a tank so doubt it was a low fuel issue

no eml light showing

cant believe how unreliable this car is tbh - seriously regretting choosing a vauxhall

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'd be throwing that back at the dealer I think, it's certainly not right. Did you mention the stalling when it went in before?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Is the stalling issue not something to do with the Start / Stop engine? Does it still stall if you disable the AutoStop?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drey_p said:
Is the stalling issue not something to do with the Start / Stop engine? Does it still stall if you disable the AutoStop?
good idea - havent tried that but will give it a go - presuming i have the presence of mind to remember to do that next time the car leaves me stalled in whatever situation it decides

·
Registered
145 Posts
oldskool said:

mine has always had off days where it will stall repeatedly , usually approaching junctions or giveways when you depress the clutch to select first etc itll just die
That seriously sounds like the Stop/Start system operating when you're stopped at a junction/giveway. Have you tested with Stop/Start off to see if it is the cause? Does your vehicle have Stop/Start?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If it is the stop/start system then it should only stop when the clutch is raised in neutral, and should restart when the clutch is dipped again (as long as the footbrake is off). From the OP's description it sounds like it's dying when he depresses the clutch, not raises it again. Unless of course he's double de-clutching. When it stalls where is the rev-counter needle?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ArcanumFox said:
oldskool said:

mine has always had off days where it will stall repeatedly , usually approaching junctions or giveways when you depress the clutch to select first etc itll just die
That seriously sounds like the Stop/Start system operating when you're stopped at a junction/giveway. Have you tested with Stop/Start off to see if it is the cause? Does your vehicle have Stop/Start?
it did it again yesterday , lost power and died just as i was pulling out of a junction leaving me straddled across a main road - i hit the stop/start button to deactivate it and restarted ( lucky no cars were coming) and it restarted normally and allowed me to proceed - invariably this car doesnt miss a beat then on a bad day it will just keep stalling repeatedly ,, this time after hitting the stop start it didnt do it again and i turned off the stop start each time i started the car after that - so maybe something to do with it

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1900sr said:
If it is the stop/start system then it should only stop when the clutch is raised in neutral, and should restart when the clutch is dipped again (as long as the footbrake is off). From the OP's description it sounds like it's dying when he depresses the clutch, not raises it again. Unless of course he's double de-clutching. When it stalls where is the rev-counter needle?
good point - clutch is always firmly on the floor during attempted restarts and stalls - in light of above post it gets more confusing but maybe stop start is unrelated as some days it has just stalled once and others up to ten times at any one stalling session

not certain on rev counter but ill check next time , i think its just totally at zero not as (autostop )mark and then up and down as restarting but it defo doesnt rev much above 1000 when its in problematic mode - for example ive never been able to floor the gas mid problems and give it a good rev to clear it maybe as it dies again long before the revs get high

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It could of course be a fault with the stop/start system, but it doesn't sound right. I did deliberately stall mine this morning to see what happened, and the needle went to the off position, and as soon as I dipped the clutch the car restarted itself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok this is an ongoing issue with my car and becoming a real issue - car stalled when joining a main road the other day across both lanes and a Lorry almost hit me , very frightening to have a huge Lorry squeal to a halt a few inches from your window

People helped me push the car off the road and eventually it restarted ,, Lorry driver said he didn't brake earlier as he presumed I would move ( I couldn't and in other cars you could use the starter motor in gear to at least get out the way but not in this car as clutch has to be down to start

Did it again the next day - thankfully only in a McDonald's drive thru lane but still annoying and embarrassing

It might be fine for a month or so then may have a few days of erratic cutting out and stalling with restarts getting initial start followed by immediate stall up to twenty/thirty times before coming back to life

It's going back to Vauxhall as its now scarey to drive and cannot be trusted

Is anyone else getting this problem and has it been resolved ?

No eml light whatsoever btw

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cornishtaz said:
Mine has stalled a few times, I always disable stop/start as soon as I get in the car.

I've put it down to me trying to pull away from a junction to quick without enough revs.
Interesting ,, that's what I thought at first but it happens too often and I've had it long enough now that biting point of clutch etc is second nature

Does yours restart ok afterwards or restart and stall immediately a few times or more ?

Mine goes back in to vx next week as soon as loan car available on 18th

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds to me like the clutch switch is faulty and is going beyond its parameters... Ask vauxhall to check this and every other item related to the start stop... The best way to go about it would be to call the free aa cover and tell them you cant drive the car as it has a saftey issue. Request a courtesy car from them then you wont have to wait 2 days for a Vauxhall one...
Refuse to drive the car...

·
Registered
21 Posts
jj041280 said:
Can I just add I had the same issue with my astra 110. They changed x2 temp sensors and its been 100% worth a call to them to check it again
i have a 110 as well that stalls like described, i do usually disable the auto start/stop when i get in as well.
might as them to check it for me.

·
Registered
856 Posts
PACMANIA said:
People seem to be having problem with stop start that why I opted for the key. Diesel isn,t the way forward petrol all the way :lol:
Hi

Stop start has nothing to do with not having a key. I have stop start and a key, not had any issues with mine.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
256 Posts
Paulch said:
PACMANIA said:
People seem to be having problem with stop start that why I opted for the key. Diesel isn,t the way forward petrol all the way :lol:
Hi

Stop start has nothing to do with not having a key. I have stop start and a key, not had any issues with mine.

Cheers

Paul
Same here. Can't fault it really. Much less "temperamental" than the Focus.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts