Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for opening a new thread; I couldn't find where the topic already was!

I've just fitted new headlight bulbs to the car (so I can see at night) and was having a nosey about all the soundproofing and what my car does/doesn't have.
As my car is the 2016.5 model, I knew I probably wouldn't have the soundproofing under the bonnet but when I had a look, I was surprised to see the square heat shield for the turbo I've seen on other pictures wasn't there (see picture).

I thought they would still fit that to protect the bonnet from the heat of the turbo but looks like that's a cost saving part too!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think that was there to protect the soundproofing, as my early 1.0 (which has never had the acoustic pack) doesn't have it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That square was just a piece of aluminium foil to protect the sound proofing material. Theres no need to protect the bonnet from the heat, as you can see turbo has it's own heat shield (which is more to protect the turbine than other way around) and bonnet is made out of big chunk of metal which can easily dissipate heat.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've seen sound proofing foam on eBay, has anyone considered buying and fitting it?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Proph, if you are going to put foam soundproofing i, you will probably need a heat shield of some description.

Is it the petrol engines that are noisy?

My diesel is very quiet, even at 70-80 mph. When I am stationary, the only way I can tell that the start stop has kicked in is because the Rev counter says so and the car doesn't vibrate.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I collect mine tomorrow but i was just asking if anyone had considered it based on comments.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah I can't wait, I only opted for the 1.0T but I'm hoping I enjoy it. I'll be listening out for any noises and will post up pictures when I get there.

·
Registered
280 Posts
To be honest, I went for the diesel because I do a few motorway miles for my job.

From what others on here say, the 1.0 turbo is pretty nippy.

I see you have the Sri, do you get the sport button with your engine?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Proph said:
Yeah I can't wait, I only opted for the 1.0T but I'm hoping I enjoy it. I'll be listening out for any noises and will post up pictures when I get there.
I'm looking forward to your pics Proph! Also, if you do decide to put sound proofing under your bonnet, perhaps you could do a "How To" Guide with links to the products used - that may help out others who wish to do the same.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes the SRI NAV comes with a sports button, having read up on it the button enables quicker response to the accelerator and more direct steering.

Yes once I get it I'll post up pics and if the noise is very apparent I'll do a how to with the found proofing and heat shield.

G

·
I test drove the 1.0T and it wasn't noisy. It made a nice thrum as I accelerated and was nice and quiet at motorway speeds and that was without the radio on.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Proph said:
Yes the SRI NAV comes with a sports button, having read up on it the button enables quicker response to the accelerator and more direct steering.

Yes once I get it I'll post up pics and if the noise is very apparent I'll do a how to with the found proofing and heat shield.
Wasn't sure if the 105ps engine had it. It makes quite a difference to my car!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Soundproofing any stock car is always nice :) I will post my soundproofing how to when i get it. I'm planing to sound proof all the panels in the car once I get it as per with my all previous cars. Adds a bit of weight, but oh so worth it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.