Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Since december, I've been trying to figure out a problem with my 17 Astra K 1.4 Turbo with manual gear.

When its cold, like -1 and colder, I get this squeeky sound from the engine area. The sound gets louder when I increase rpm. When I push down the clutch on the other hand, the sound is gone, even when the rpm gets higher.

My local dealer has changed the clutch realease bearing, in March 2021. But in desember I noticed the sound again.. It gets even worse when its quite cold and the car has been standing for several days. Now my dealer doesent have a clue, and they typically didnt hear any sound when they checked the car in December. I will return shortly though.

Is is possible that there is a weakness in the original clutch release bearing? Or has anybody here experinced this sound at all? I feel that I can't sell the car on because of this issue...

But I can't be the only one who experience this issue??

Video link: New video by Jan-Erik Berg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been googling this issue for months now and never saw this before. Now googling a completely different issue I happened to find this.

Did you ever get this resolved? I have exactly the same. One shop suggested to replace the whole clutch system and flywheel. Another shop was actually looking at it today but they couldn't hear the sound but they'll continue investigating another issue next week (gearbox). I'm pushing them to try again or ask to be there next time because I get this every time. Even when it's warmer now after giving about 2500 rpm on a cold start now. It's definitely stronger when it's cold though and noticeable already on idle.

I'm regretting hard buying this car just a few months ago. The fixes are looking to be in thousands of euros already. Yet it's still unclear what the issue with this noise is but the sound disappears now when you press down there clutch. In winter though I didn't feel much difference in the sound when pressing clutch but I don't think I tried more than once during winter time.

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
I've been googling this issue for months now and never saw this before. Now googling a completely different issue I happened to find this.

Did you ever get this resolved? I have exactly the same. One shop suggested to replace the whole clutch system and flywheel. Another shop was actually looking at it today but they couldn't hear the sound but they'll continue investigating another issue next week (gearbox). I'm pushing them to try again or ask to be there next time because I get this every time. Even when it's warmer now after giving about 2500 rpm on a cold start now. It's definitely stronger when it's cold though and noticeable already on idle.

I'm regretting hard buying this car just a few months ago. The fixes are looking to be in thousands of euros already. Yet it's still unclear what the issue with this noise is but the sound disappears now when you press down there clutch. In winter though I didn't feel much difference in the sound when pressing clutch but I don't think I tried more than once during winter time.
I had a faulty dmf replaced within a full clutch kit, it rattled like mad, when I pressed the clutch in, the note changed. That was on an earlier model of Astra though, I've also had numerous m32 gearboxes replaced under manufacturers warranty too. Which engine do you have, age & current mileage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

No, my dealer wasnt able to figure it out, and the sound wasnt there anymore because of warmer weather when they tried to listen to it again. They just replaced the release bearing without any luck. I tried to contact Opel Norway to see if any tecnical department could help me out, but they told me to talk with my local Opel dealer.... Quite frustrating. I tried to ask at a german Opel Astra K-forum, but no sensible solution was adviced there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a faulty dmf replaced within a full clutch kit, it rattled like mad, when I pressed the clutch in, the note changed. That was on an earlier model of Astra though, I've also had numerous m32 gearboxes replaced under manufacturers warranty too. Which engine do you have, age & current mileage?
It's the 1.4 l 150 bhp engine that has 130k km (~80k miles) on it. The car is 2016 model. The other issue it has is a faint additional noise on 6th gear on a warm engine. That will be investigated next week. I'm not sure if these two issues relate though.

Keep me updated if you figure it out, and I will do the same.
I will. On a Finnish forum there was a similar issue posted a few years back. They reported the issue being some loose tightener from turbo (perhaps) or similar that had dropped and was resonating against some bottom plate. I'm not really convinced that's the issue for me or you or even to that poster but that's what he reported as the fix and haven't posted in that forum since. Also another user posted similar issue and that he'd investigate but never returned... so it's really a mystery.

Clutch I guess is the main suspect or has been for me. I hope I can still go to that shop and let them investigate the sound that they weren't able to hear now when they investigate the gearbox next week. All it really takes for me is to run the engine a little bit at 2500-3000 rpm and the sound comes out even now with a warmer weather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts