Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
From the user manual.

Side blind spot alert

The Side blind spot alert system detects and reports objects on either side of the vehicle, within a specified "blind spot" zone. The system alerts visually in each exterior mirror, when detecting objects that may not be visible in the interior and exterior mirrors.

Side blind spot alert uses some of the advanced parking assist sensors which are located in the front and rear bumper on both sides of the vehicle.

Warning
Side blind spot alert does not replace driver vision.
The system does not detect:
● vehicles outside the side blind zones which may be rapidly approaching
● pedestrians, cyclists or animals Before changing a lane, always check all mirrors, look over the shoulder and use the turn signal.

When the system detects a vehicle in the side blind zone while driving forward, either while passing a vehicle or being passed, an yellow
warning symbol B will illuminate in the relevant exterior mirror. If the driver then activates the turn signal, the warning symbol B starts flashing
yellow as a warning not to change lanes.

Side blind spot alert is active from speeds of 10 km/h up to 140 km/h. Driving faster than 140 km/h deactivates the system, indicated by low lighting warning symbols B in both exterior mirrors and by a message in the Driver Information Centre. Reducing the speed again will extinguish the warning symbols. If a vehicle is then detected in the blind zone, the warning symbols B will illuminate as normal on the relevant side.

When the vehicle is started, both exterior mirror displays will briefly come on to indicate that the system is operating.

The system can be activated or deactivated in the Info-Display, vehicle personalisation 3 107.

Deactivation is indicated by a message in the Driver Information Centre.

Detection zones
The detection zones start at the rear bumper and extend approx. three metres rearwards and to the sides. The height of the zone is approx. between half a metre and two metres off the ground. Side blind spot alert is designed to ignore stationary objects, e.g. guardrails, posts, curbs, walls and beams. Parked vehicles or oncoming vehicles are not detected.

Fault
Occasional missed alerts can occur under normal circumstances and will increase in wet conditions.

Side blind spot alert does not operate when the left or right corners of the rear bumper are covered with mud, dirt, snow, ice, slush, or in heavy rainstorms.
In the event of a fault in the system or if the system does not work due to temporary conditions, the symbols in the mirrors will be permanently
illuminated and a message is displayed in the Driver Information Centre. Seek the assistance of a workshop.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you have the electricals fitted for towing a trailer, check if the plug is clean and there is no dirt or dust in it.

My parking assistent and Blindspot alerts stops working as soon as the car thinks there is a trailer connected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, In my case I'm having same problem in Spain. I realised that the fault is triggered when driving below 15 degrees of outsie temperature. The system never faults over this temperature. Now the so called Opel engeneers are studying the case. They said I'm not the only case but don't know how to solve it. I'll keep you updated in case they solve it.
Cheers

·
Registered
856 Posts
Lowe said:
If you have the electricals fitted for towing a trailer, check if the plug is clean and there is no dirt or dust in it.

My parking assistent and Blindspot alerts stops working as soon as the car thinks there is a trailer connected.
Hi

That's interesting my parking assist stops when the bike rack is attached to the towbar but the Blindspot alert permanently lights up on the wing mirrors and I have to disable it in the vehicle settings.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
219 Posts
Isaaccf said:
Hi, In my case I'm having same problem in Spain. I realised that the fault is triggered when driving below 15 degrees of outsie temperature. The system never faults over this temperature. Now the so called Opel engeneers are studying the case. They said I'm not the only case but don't know how to solve it. I'll keep you updated in case they solve it.
Cheers
Yeah that seems to be the cause. My car did it soon after delivery in february, but it stopped on its own after a month or two (when it got warmer) and worked ok whole summer. When it got colder again recently it started failing again. Yesterday I went to the dealer to change tyres so I mentioned it, they found error code about some control unit failing due to low voltage but didn't fix anything (told me to come back if it keeps happening again...).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same issue. Time to time Side Blind Spot fails. When I read your commends I realized faults are related with temperature.
I also have an "service rear camera" on my rear camera screen.

It seems my car hate the cold weather! :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, I just want to share with you a short video showing the recurring fault:
In Spain I'm still fighting with Opel to find a solution, they keep saying it is normal, but either they think customers are stupid or they haven't translated the problem yet to their engineers. Please, could you confirm that it is a fault associated with outside temperature? In my case I have tested It happens under +15 degrees Celsius (something completely normal in winter in 90% of Europe). Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My blind spot assistant system works fine even during sub-zero temperatures.

I have not had any message of the system being de-activated anytime yet, only minor bug is during snowfall the snow and road dirt can trick the sensors for a second or three, but then it's only the light in the mirror that illuminates as there is someone in the blind spot.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have the same issue, but unlike others, my problem seems to happen when it is warmer than 15 degrees C. So this colder weather has been great. I need to take it to a Vauxhall dealer at some point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wrote it can be related with dirt or cold weather but It has got worse everyday. Now It does not work at all, it gives warning after moving 1 or 2 minutes later and constantly open lights on mirrors, even while going at 40km/h. :cry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my case same thing. But only when the outside temperature is below 15 degrees Celsius. I'm waiting for Gm Spain answer but until now they have no clue how to solve it, in fact they still keep saying is not a malfunction! If I find a solution I'll tell you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Now i have "new" problem with Blind Spot assist. Drivers side sensor warns about almost anything it detects: on coming cars, walls, big rocks... I have talked about this with the dealer and they tried to reconfigure the system but didnt help. Anyone else having this kinda problem?

·
Registered
331 Posts
So, I took my car to the nearest Vauxhall dealer yesterday and it was returned today with "no fault found" and I had to pay for the privilege of them looking at it. Apparently they can't do anything as no error codes have been logged. Unfortunately, the fault is intermittent and wouldn't show up whilst the car was with them.

I have also spoken to Vauxhall who apparently haven't heard of this error before... surely they should have heard something about this as I am not the only one with the problem? Nor is the UK the only country this is happening in. Any ideas on how to get this progressed? I've asked the dealer to raise a technical case with Vauxhall but I am not sure that they have done that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's terrible - and then on top of all that, you had to pay for it?! Wow, is there a single feature on new Astra that doesn't have faults? And to think I was really sad my car won't have blind spot assist... glad I added another thing on my 'won't have problems with since I didn't order it' list, right under "car alarm randomly going off in the middle of the night", "heated seats not working" and so on.... lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
drey_p said:
So, I took my car to the nearest Vauxhall dealer yesterday and it was returned today with "no fault found" and I had to pay for the privilege of them looking at it. Apparently they can't do anything as no error codes have been logged. Unfortunately, the fault is intermittent and wouldn't show up whilst the car was with them.

I have also spoken to Vauxhall who apparently haven't heard of this error before... surely they should have heard something about this as I am not the only one with the problem? Nor is the UK the only country this is happening in. Any ideas on how to get this progressed? I've asked the dealer to raise a technical case with Vauxhall but I am not sure that they have done that.
Sorry to ear that is not just incompetence of Opel Spain, like in my case, but it affects the whole company. I got same unprofessional answer from my Spanish dealer. In now thinking how to proceed next.

If it helps, in my case I really clearly concluded that the fault is consistently reproduced when I take the car having an outside temperature higher than 15 degrees (for example in my parking is around 20 degrees) and because the temperature outside the parking is much lower now in winter, the car starts to indicate less outside temperature every time until it goes around 12-14 degrees that is when the fault appears. If the outside temperature if around 12-14, then the fault persists even for 20km on my way, but if it is a much colder day and the temperature goes below 12 degrees, the car works with no faults. In any case, if the outside temperature if higher than 15 degrees or below 12 degrees (aprox.) never faults.

Could you please indicate if this could also reproduce your faults?

21 - 40 of 62 Posts