Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Newbie Here!
Have had my Astra now for a month and all is great however... The Blind Spot Assist is causing me serious annoyance!
Whilst driving it (what appears to be randomly) becomes "unavailable" according to the notification that comes up. This has been happening since I picked the car up and is intermittent, but when it happens it makes up for the time it has worked. Within a 1 mile section I had the error notification flash up 18 times with the indicators on the mirrors merrily flashing away - so distracting!!
I called the garage and they advised I monitor the problem (hard not to!) and when it when it goes in for it's first month check up, they would investigate.
The check up was two days ago and no fault found according to the diagnostic equipment so they handed back and said it is fine... Drive off and 15 miles down the road it starts again. Contacted garage and they have said now a technician needs to sit witness it to see if there is a pattern, which is difficult as it is intermittent.
Has anyone else had any similar issues with the system and has it been sorted?
Thank you for any help (sorry for the long post - an opportunity to vent as well as ask for help!)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, same thing happens to me too. Sent mail about this problem to my dealer yesterday (didn't get any reply yet). First time it happend few days after I bought the car (roughly 2 months ago), but it worked fine after restarting engine so thought none of it. Now it does it pretty much all the time. Turning blind spot assist off and on again used to fix it, but not anymore. The worst thing is how the message keeps popping up on the board computer every 2 seconds, so it becomes pretty much useless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well fingers crossed you get slightly better response than my garage. It's not a known fault with Vauxhall apparently and so there is no quick fix because no fault shows up when they run the diagnostics. It was suggested to me that it may be a feature of the system! (I think not!)
Let me know how your garage gets on and if they have a magic fix!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sounds like maybe a wire to one of the sensors is loose. Might be worth a furkle in the wheel arches to see if there's anything obvious.

By the way, did you know that if you go over 90mph the system is deactivated? Apparently.

·
Registered
856 Posts
SwissTJ said:
Sounds like maybe a wire to one of the sensors is loose. Might be worth a furkle in the wheel arches to see if there's anything obvious.

By the way, did you know that if you go over 90mph the system is deactivated? Apparently.
Hi

I did, it mentions it in the manual.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SwissTJ said:

Will have a check in the wheel arches over the weekend and see - had no problems the past couple of days and thought it's sorted, but it came back this morning again!
Would be good if the garage spent time looking for a loose connection rather than trying to convince me everything is fine because the computer says so.
Oh well, the saga continues!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here system often deactivated (with message that it is not available). By often I mean it could deactivate immediately and then activate after few km. Then deactivate for another few km and so on. I didn't notice any pattern.

Dealer sees fault code in a computer but needs advice from .DE on how to approach this (due to some reason). So fingers crossed in my case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
arek said:
Here system often deactivated (with message that it is not available). By often I mean it could deactivate immediately and then activate after few km. Then deactivate for another few km and so on. I didn't notice any pattern.

Dealer sees fault code in a computer but needs advice from .DE on how to approach this (due to some reason). So fingers crossed in my case.
I have found the same behavior, without any pattern, on my Astra. On German forum is the similar thread, where someone describes that the firmware update had solved the problem.

When i send that forum content to my dealer, they have said, that I should not believe everything it says on the forums???
I think the only excuse, because they do not know what's wrong.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hes got a point, forums are not the best source for 100% facts. Some user on a forum might have been told he got a new fw because he was pushing the dealer for it, while in reality - he just got a battery pull, but was told otherwise :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have the exact same problem, my car is 1 month old, no pattern, just does it (a lot) which is irritating.
Will contact the dealership and find out more.
Someone mentioned a visit to the dealership after one month, is this standard procedure, cause i don't remember they told me to visit after one month.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kidstretch said:
Have the exact same problem, my car is 1 month old, no pattern, just does it (a lot) which is irritating.
Will contact the dealership and find out more.
Someone mentioned a visit to the dealership after one month, is this standard procedure, cause i don't remember they told me to visit after one month.
Thanks!
The family have bought cars from the dealership for years, but I assume it is a standard thing (PDI - post delivery inspection") just to check everything is bedded in properly. Only a visual check I think but worth having, they solved another issue I had (squeaky brakes after 800 miles).
If you have better joy than me let me know what they say. I am going to talk to another dealer for a second opinion, I have videoed the error now on three separate occasions so have some material to show them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think taking a video is a good idea, had 1 day good, then occasionally had the problem, then gone again...
Don't want them to say there's nothing wrong, cause it is! :)
Please let us know if and how they solve it for you!

·
Registered
463 Posts
What was the result and cause of the squeaky brakes, mine are driving me nuts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So took the car to a second garage on Friday, they had the car all day (apparently took all day to try and fix). They put a tech call in with Vauxhall head bods or something and completed a mass of updates on the software. Been told now to monitor it and see if it happens again. So far no fault message has come up so fingers crossed!
For those who have a similar problem - try and record it and insist it is seen by an electrician or at least one of the technicians!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have the same problem, but only seems to occur when it's raining (or car is wet), been thinking it might have something to do with the water droplets passing the sensor?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have only had my SRi a few days, but noticed that the SBSA occasionally came up as unavailable the other day. Seemed to happen when driving perpendicular to incredibly bright sunlight. That seemed to be the only thing in common, and haven't seen it any other day.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts