Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had no satnav for several weeks and were told again today that there is a shortage of SD cards. Has the factory making the Astra stopped production due to this - no I didn't think so. We've now been told it should be with us by the end of the year but no promises! If Tom Tom can organise downloadable maps why can't Vauxhall. Pretty disappointed with customer service already then compounded by a 54 minute wait on hold to them today. Shame, it really is a shame.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I maybe wrong but I thought the satnav info was held in the unit rather than on a separate sd card,
regardless, i won't pay the cost of updates so it's android auto and google maps or waze for me every time

Reactions: Mickyb

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I maybe wrong but I thought the satnav info was held in the unit rather than on a separate sd card,
regardless, i won't pay the cost of updates so it's android auto and google maps or waze for me every time
I have a feeling you may be right, when the SD card finally arrives I'm expecting the satnav to still not work then it'll be another 3 months waiting for parts again!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Satnav data is stored in the unit.

Updates come in the form of a USB stick, and the update is basically just the system, copying all the map data from the USB onto the system...And the appropriate serial that tell's the system that you actually bought the map USB for that particular VIN.

There is no actual way of feeding a SDCard to the system unless it has the special USB socket with the SDCard reader, but that is normally only used for MP3 storage and playback

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
My Astra K has a SD card slot and the maps are stored on the SD card. If I remove the SD card them the maps don’t work.
Hmm strange.

Well, i certainly could be wrong, my wife constantly says i am :)

I would swear i have seen cars without the SDCard, that had navi, and the maps were "internal".... And i have seen more than once, someone mention the USB for upgrading the maps.

If the maps were on SDCard, i would imagine that it would be easier for them to just sell the SDCard directly, instead of doing the USB thumbdrive thing.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It's probably the later 20/21 units they fit that take a card,i'm not even sure what units they use tbh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts