Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than pay dealer prices, I'd like to know if anyone has a cheaper route :)LOL:) to update my 2016 to the latest and greatest.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Rather than pay dealer prices, I'd like to know if anyone has a cheaper route :)LOL:) to update my 2016 to the latest and greatest.
Intellinkmods offer the 2019 latest astra satnav update. Unfortunately they are located in Blyth.
You may be able to make the travel worth your while depending on your location, as you could also get a rear camera, Android Auto update and the extra menus display done together. Costs a lot less than a vx dealer, if they have the expertise to carry them out.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I've not used my built in NAV for nearly a year now, very happy using Waze through the cars head unit, more up to date maps too.

·
Super Moderator
78 Posts
I've not used my built in NAV for nearly a year now, very happy using Waze through the cars head unit, more up to date maps too.
Has Waze changed in recent times, as I tried it a year or two ago, and couldn't stand the very juvenile graphics and symbols used, and also the very poor quality and highly distorted voice instructions.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Has Waze changed in recent times, as I tried it a year or two ago, and couldn't stand the very juvenile graphics and symbols used, and also the very poor quality and highly distorted voice instructions.
You can take a lot of them out via the Waze settings function within your phone. I also like the fact it tells you where all the mobile and static police cameras are at, broken down vehicle's etc. Also the fact your car is always heading upwards on the directional screen. I started with Android Auto, then moved onto Waze.
The voice can still be distorted voice, but you can change it to a different sounding voice or turn it off.
It's not perfect, but the maps are up to date, you know where the mob/static speed cameras are, least worst option within my opinion on the heavily policed U.K roads.
If I wasn't using that, I'd use Android Auto, not worth paying to have my NAV updated within my opinion, this should have lifetime free mapping, but obviously not.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The built in satnav is always there should I forget my phone and I must say mine has never let me down. Once I've put the right settings in and view the route prior, it is very good on the whole from my experiences. I personnally don't like the voice commands on waze, but I have used it in tandem with my built in satnav, switching between the two if needs be.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The built in satnav is always there should I forget my phone and I must say mine has never let me down. Once I've put the right settings in and view the route prior, it is very good on the whole from my experiences. I personnally don't like the voice commands on waze, but I have used it in tandem with my built in satnav, switching between the two if needs be.
My previous Astra K NAV had let me down on a few occasions, directing me to roads that didn't exist. Agree about the voice commands on Waze, happy to put up with that, as the rest of it seems decent. Maps more up to date and it's free.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I use AA with Google maps in the car with the satnav sound muted. No irritating messages :)
If in an unfamiliar area beware of Google Maps little "shortcuts" - they can put you down a narrow lane because it 100yds shorter than staying on the best route.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I know it's been asked before but has anyone worked out how you check what year's maps you have in the built in satnav? I suspect mine are 2016 unless it got an update as part of its demo car status?

Also, I can't remember the website where you can order the update (2019?) from - think it was something like navigation.vauxhall.co.uk?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts