Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Roof bars

20K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  malcie5 
#1 ·
Hi guys.

As part of the deal I negotiated with my dealer, I have agreement that I can buy a set of roof bars for either my Astra K or the wife's Mokka.

Looking at the standard Vauxhall roof bars, the lower part of the mounting bracket is made of metal and sits flush against the paintwork. Although there is a mounting hole in the car to ensure the bars are correctly located, I am concerned that if I put any load on the bars, on a bumpy road it could cause the bars to move slightly and scratch the paintwork.

The dealer has checked and confirmed that this is how the bars are supplied.

Does anyone on here have the Vauxhall roof bars?

Any advice?

#5 ·
Kristie - I agree, it would have to be rubber.

I haven't sorted yet, my thinking is that I am going to buy the roof bars and get some rubber to go inside the brackets.

When you see how the bars fit, you will see that the rubber door seals are moved slightly away from the body by the mounting bracket. If you put something else between the bracket and the car it will mean that the door seal is pushed further out.

Having said that, I guess that it is cheaper to replace the door seals than getting the paintwork done.

#10 ·
Chewy123 said:
I purchased the Thule system for the Astra and the metal brackets for that come with a rubber coating on them. Took me around 30 mintues to fix it to the car the first time but I hope I will get faster....

:)
Any pictures of them on the car? :)

#14 ·
#15 ·
BTW whilst I dont know about the Vauxhall Bars the Thule bars have this little pin which locates into the hole. There aint no way in hell that these things are going to move. They are rubber coated and do push the door rubber lining out a little bit. My bigest fear was they might actually start crushing the roof of the car you can do them up that tight :)

I had a Divan bed on them today and they were rock solid.

#16 ·
Thanks for the pictures! It looks great and it's awesome that there is no damage on the paint! You could post some pictures with the Thule on, to see how the car looks then :D

#17 ·
Hi chewy I got same ones but can't seam to get the rubber mats stay in place and sit flush with the body work of the car when I tighten one side up other side moves out place how did u do yrs

#20 ·
Hi Lock-N if it wasnt for the fact that i need the pack for going to Cornwall on Saturday i would have that fitting kit from you in a flash. i have a 750 footpack set and managed to purchase some bars today for £15....i will let everyone know how i get on...thanks all for thepeplies

#21 ·
I have just been told by about everyone that the 750 foot pack will not accept the 1812 fitting kit so do not be duped into believing that the 750 is the same as the newer 754 .....not in our vehicles case........now stuck without any roof carriers for Cornwall .......oh @****+^=

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.