Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a res delete soon, I’ve already got an ulter sport backbox fitted with has a smaller backbox than the standard 1.4T was wondering will I get any drone?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I reckon you will get some sort of drone at higher speeds so make sure it’s easily reversible If you think it’s too much.I think I mentioned on another thread that the Cupra guys mostly like it but we are talking about a different car here - their cars put out 280-300hp.A few complaints at motorway speeds where it just gets too much for the ears but Leon res deletes are easily reversible .
Nice to see someone modding the Astra k - don’t see too many around.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I reckon you will get some sort of drone at higher speeds so make sure it’s easily reversible If you think it’s too much.I think I mentioned on another thread that the Cupra guys mostly like it but we are talking about a different car here - their cars put out 280-300hp.A few complaints at motorway speeds where it just gets too much for the ears but Leon res deletes are easily reversible .
Nice to see someone modding the Astra k - don’t see too many around.
I’ve bought a res delete pipe was only £40 so I’ll give it a go this weekend, I’ve got a muffler still on so it might stop the drone

Reactions: Pompeydave

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he wants to change the noise from the exhaust,to do that you need to lower the exhaust back pressure
Speaking to multiple people the K does not really suffer from back pressure

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a much smaller rear muffler installed and had the Res removed entirely to see what it sounded like. It sounded like you were constantly rinsing the engine even at gentle acceleration and revs and also made my ears hurt under heavy low rev loads such as going up steep hills or accelerating on dual carriageways and motorways. It also droned a fair bit between 1.5-3.5k rpm roughly which made cruising along unpleasant. I had a sports res fitted and I'm much happier with the result, not as restrained as the OEM Res but it sounds a touch sporty under normal conditions and has a nice bass to it and when you open it up it's got a nice tone all the way through the rev range right up to the very top end. I'd recommend some sort of resornator be kept. My MPG also dropped about 20-25% even when feathering the car along, wether this was a back pressure issue or not I am not sure but the Res instantly fixed this

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I had a much smaller rear muffler installed and had the Res removed entirely to see what it sounded like. It sounded like you were constantly rinsing the engine even at gentle acceleration and revs and also made my ears hurt under heavy low rev loads such as going up steep hills or accelerating on dual carriageways and motorways. It also droned a fair bit between 1.5-3.5k rpm roughly which made cruising along unpleasant. I had a sports res fitted and I'm much happier with the result, not as restrained as the OEM Res but it sounds a touch sporty under normal conditions and has a nice bass to it and when you open it up it's got a nice tone all the way through the rev range right up to the very top end. I'd recommend some sort of resornator be kept. My MPG also dropped about 20-25% even when feathering the car along, wether this was a back pressure issue or not I am not sure but the Res instantly fixed this
Reminds me of my, at that time, brother in law, that had a Vectra B, with the 1.6 Ecotec engine.

He also wanted to alter it's sound to make it more "macho" so he put on some cone filter, which made the car sound more like the engine in a fishing boat, than a car engine. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reminds me of my, at that time, brother in law, that had a Vectra B, with the 1.6 Ecotec engine.

He also wanted to alter it's sound to make it more "macho" so he put on some cone filter, which made the car sound more like the engine in a fishing boat, than a car engine. :)
yeah you need to be careful with what you do or your car sounds like a fishing boat or lawn mower or something

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Car sounds good, not much drone but not really tried it, it has a rear muffler on Ulter Sport one, ill see how this goes if its too droney for me I’ll get it booked in the have a sports res fitted a less restrictive one.

Reactions: Pompeydave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hopefully it works out. I'd make sure to test all conditions as you might find it drones under specific circumstances like low rpm heavy loads or cruising at higher speeds with higher revs. Best to get the Res removed then see how it sounds and only invest in a sports res if you feel you need it. A bit of steel pipe is cheap compared to a decent res

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hopefully it works out. I'd make sure to test all conditions as you might find it drones under specific circumstances like low rpm heavy loads or cruising at higher speeds with higher revs. Best to get the Res removed then see how it sounds and only invest in a sports res if you feel you need it. A bit of steel pipe is cheap compared to a decent res
I had to remove it to get the right sound, Think I'm going to get a smaller res now welded in at a proper exhaust place like power flow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts