Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a loose rattling noise from the front of the car on my Astra K ST 2017 1.6CDTi 81kW (160k km). The sound is present at driving on rough road in low speed (10-30km/h). It is present even in higher speeds but that rattling noise is overwhelmed by the noise from the wheels. Here is the sound recerded. It is comming from front right side.
RATTLING NOISE HERE
I was at the service, suspension parts was checked, everything looks good and tight, I changed the drop link bars, but it did not helped. I was at the shock absorbers test, there is no problem either.
Did someone had similar problem? Or any ideas what can cause this sound? It is really annoying :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
It's a bit hard to tell from the video. Do you think the noise is coming from the engine, wheel area, gearbox? I have experienced pads rattling within their carriers before on an older Astra, few others on here have experienced this after aftermarket pads fitted on Astra K's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I may be the steering joint (i.e., the bar pushing the wheels to steer, connected to the lower part of the wheel from the inside). It was like that two years ago on my Astra 1.4 2017, got it changed under warranty. They should however have noticed at the service. It's easy diagnose, I did it myself at first. Raise the care so as to have wheels being loose. Grab each of the wheels at halv 12, and see if there is any play, if pulling back and forth, hard. There shouldn't be any almost, I compared the sides, and the difference was obvious. The diagnose was correct, and got it changed swiftly. I however don't know was the more specific fault was, i.e., the rubber etc. They however changed the whole bar connected to the wheel. No problems ever since.

God luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a bit hard to tell from the video. Do you think the noise is coming from the engine, wheel area, gearbox? I have experienced pads rattling within their carriers before on an older Astra, few others on here have experienced this after aftermarket pads fitted on Astra K's.
Sorry, I should of been more specific. At first I tought the noise is comming from the air filter box, I strengthened the box because it was little bit loose, but it did not help.. I think it is comming from the air filter box area or right engine mount..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may be the steering joint (i.e., the bar pushing the wheels to steer, connected to the lower part of the wheel from the inside). It was like that two years ago on my Astra 1.4 2017, got it changed under warranty. They should however have noticed at the service. It's easy diagnose, I did it myself at first. Raise the care so as to have wheels being loose. Grab each of the wheels at halv 12, and see if there is any play, if pulling back and forth, hard. There shouldn't be any almost, I compared the sides, and the difference was obvious. The diagnose was correct, and got it changed swiftly. I however don't know was the more specific fault was, i.e., the rubber etc. They however changed the whole bar connected to the wheel. No problems ever since.

God luck!
Thanks for the reply, in the service tried if there is any play in the wheels by pulling it back and forth, both wheels was solid as rock :)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I think there has been a few posts on here regarding that particular engine mount under the air box wearing prematurely. I notice your car has done quite a few km, so could well be the engine mount.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yes I can still hear the rattling noise in the background even when I rev the engine.
The other possibility is that it could be the timing chain/tensioner, which can be problematic with that engine. Sounds like metal on metal. Earlier symptoms of a failing chain/guide were a rattle on start up only, then gradually becomes worse over time. I'm not saying this is your issue, just making a suggestion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The other possibility is that it could be the timing chain/tensioner, which can be problematic with that engine. Sounds like metal on metal. Earlier symptoms of a failing chain/guide were a rattle on start up only, then gradually becomes worse over time. I'm not saying this is your issue, just making a suggestion.
Well, the rattling sound is present only when the car is moving on the rough road, and for me it sounds more like some kind of plastic rattle, not metal. 🤔 If I rev the engine while car is stationary the sound is smooth and clear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check your Pads aren't rattling in the carrier. That's the issue I have currently. I've tried using Brembo and Pagid pads and they're all the same so I've bought a sheet of metal to make temporary pads spacers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check your Pads aren't rattling in the carrier. That's the issue I have currently. I've tried using Brembo and Pagid pads and they're all the same so I've bought a sheet of metal to make temporary pads spacers.
Hi, I checked it, pads are not rattling in the carrier :/ even engine mount is good, we checked stabilizator and stabilizator bushing, everything looks just good... maybe the upper strut mount can be the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts