Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts
Hi guys...

My Astra in only one month old and "full" of rattle...

I dont know exactly from where. I am guessing around speed dials, plastic trim around windows... And in dash...
When i am driving over bad surface... Actually it is worse than in previous astra j.

Is there anything i can do myself?

Is there any guide on how to disassemble interior? Plastic trim above glove box, around radio? I need to fix rattle from plastic trim but first i need to disassemble it.
What can i do around instrument cluster?

I just did it last weekend. Asked dealer twice to fix it, no luck. It's good to have tools for interior disassembly, I've bought this set http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12pcs-Car-Trim-Pry-Removal-Tool-Kit-Door-Panel-Clip-Interior-Light-Dash-Removal-/252499067926
1. disconnect the battery (only - pole), best access is from righ rear door/seat folded
2. remove 2 plastic trims around dials. Use one of the tools from the middle. I'm sorry just made 2 pics with trims removed. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2xGUQqyEtriTjgyYW1lOEVaTGM?usp=sharing
3. pull out plastic piece from bottom center of the dials
4. remove 2 screws (7mm head) holding dials
5. pull out gently
6. disconnect connector from the back side
7. rattle in my car was caused by A. dials outer black plastic hitting white frame inside. I've put selfadhesive felt 1mm thick between frame and outer plastic. B. end of the shield inside.
8. Assemble parts in reverse order and connect the battery
9. Car will ask to open and close all windows one by one.

Thank you...
So i should start from middle when removing plastic trim? I have 4 of these tools (bought off ebay) for interior disassembly.

Problem is that if i press chrome "rings" around speedo is also squeaky... And chrome strip around center console and above glove box...

I love car as it is way better than Astra J how it drives, engine, tech...
But interior quality... Little worse than in J.
Materials are good but... Those rattle sounds... :cry:

I've placed numbers to your image. So 1. left piece with air went, 2. right side, 3. centre piece with start button (no tools, just pull it towards steering wheel) Then release two 7mm head screws at the bottom of the dials from both sides, one screw is visible on the picture I've posted yesterday. Pull out the dials and disconnect connector (don't forget to disconnect the battery). You can try it with cable connected, but you'll have limited access to the rear side of the dials. If whole silver piece is rattling as well you need to undo trim above and have look what is loose. Speedometer Car Vehicle White Tachometer

Attachments

This is something I need to try and fix myself, dont like or fancy the idea of trying to take the dash apart though.

Kristis said:
Finally uploaded the video. As you can see, if there is some body flex affecting the dash - this trim piece will squeak/rattle. I've removed it and applied tome rubber under it - no more sounds during body flex :)
Hi can't manage to play the video could you explain which piece was to blame?

Hi guys.
I'm trying t to fix a noise in my Astra J dashboard, maybe you can help me.
Every time I start the car, especially in cold mornings, there is a vibrating noise somewhere behind the left air vent (car has the steering wheel on the left). It does that sound only around 900rpm. If I press or lift the steering wheel, it stops. Also it stops if I unlock the steering wheel, put the handle down. Then, when the car gets warmer, the noise disappears.
I dismantled almost half my dashboard, but I can not find the cause, there is nothing loose in there.
Thank you.

When it rattle again try squeezing the air ducts at the windscreen to see it this helps.

I took my dash apart to no avail until I tried this on the off chance. I have wedged them tight and been rattle free for 3 years.

1900sr said:
My car seems to have a rattle from around the glovebox area. I only notice it if the music's off. My dashcam power lead runs through the glovebox though, so I've assumed it's that. I'll have to take it out and try it.
This is the reason that all retrofitted cables should be ziptied down very good, either to existing wiring harness or some other place.

Better to use 2 zipties to much, than one to few. :lol: :lol:

Scotty_b said:
Take this cover off an squeeze/push the ducts when you hear the rattle.

Astra K dash top full highlight.jpg
I think Astra J has a different format there, It doesn't seem to have a cover. I tried to put my fingers inside and keep the ducts pressed, but it keeps making that noise. I still hear it from somewhere behind the left air vent.

I have problem with vent cover trim on dashboard.
On drivers side it wont stay in place/clip in. No matter what i try. Any solution. Allready tried with replacement part. Its the same.
Which side goes in first? Side facing driver or side facing windshield?
I tried to press in hard but it just wont clip in place. What should i do?
Thanks.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.