Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Done about 200miles since we bought our SRi last week. All was well until last night driving home from work. There is now a very noticeable rattle across all speeds but only when on rough surface roads. The road vibration through the car seems to be highlighting something loose behind the dash.

Do you have any similar experiences?
Should I go back to dealer with it?

I do have a video but can't upload from my phone direct to here.

EDIT :- I've put a vid on YouTube- here's the link

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same on my corsa and always over rough surfaces it's been into vx who stripped the door panels refitted them adjusted the door and still no good and there saying it's not the dashboard so I keep the music at a level that drowns it out

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh dear. I think on a brand new car you shouldn't have to do that. On a 5yr+ car fair enough, there's going to be rattles and quirks. But not brand new.

G

·
I've heard similar from mine over rough terrain. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not. I'm hoping it might just settle down and go away.

My girlfriend's parents BMW 418 rattles a lot mind and it's a 14 plate. The parcel shelf is constantly rattling no matter what the terrain!

G

·
For the first 100 miles it happened for all of about 30 seconds. I'll give it a while and then chat to the dealer if it's still there. May the no rattles continue on for you Kristis!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just been in this afternoon. No techs there though being a Saturday afternoon. They have left my details and symptoms for their service department to call me Monday. Took a sales guy out to let him listen and he agrees there is definitely a rattle behind the instrument panel.

Prior to the dealer visit, thought I'd look in the engine bay to see if the noise could be coming right through. Did find this but sadly not the cause.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My car seems to have a rattle from around the glovebox area. I only notice it if the music's off. My dashcam power lead runs through the glovebox though, so I've assumed it's that. I'll have to take it out and try it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
1900sr said:
My car seems to have a rattle from around the glovebox area. I only notice it if the music's off. My dashcam power lead runs through the glovebox though, so I've assumed it's that. I'll have to take it out and try it.
Can I ask what dash cam you have?

I am thinking of getting one, but want one which automatically switches on when I start car if possible.

·
Registered
573 Posts
1900sr, i've found the probable culprit of that rattle. At least mine does rattle when there is more body flexing and it's also from around glove box. I do believe its due to trim fittings above the glove box. I made a video and will upload it tomorrow, maybe by that time i will have a remedy for it too ;)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
MarcR said:
1900sr said:
Can I ask what dash cam you have?

I am thinking of getting one, but want one which automatically switches on when I start car if possible.
I've just got a cheap one, one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/1080P-VEHICLE-RECORDER-CAMERA-ACCIDENT/dp/B00GN1RQM0/ref=sr_1_30?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460877268&sr=1-30&keywords=dash+cam it seems to do the job. It switches on with the ignition when it's plugged into the lighter socket, and goes off again afterwards. It's possibly a bit bigger than I would like for the Astra, in the C5 and Jayne's Megane we can hide it behind the rear view mirror, but because the Astra has the bulky auto dimming mirror it won't hide out of the driver's sight.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kristis said:
is that a cap in there? :D
Yeah looks like a plastic blanking cap that might be fitted to a part prior to the part being fitted to the engine. Maybe water pump or something similar.

Handed it over to the dealer. He prob put it straight in the bin after I left!

G

·
After a bit more driving, my dash rattle is identical to yours Kev, so I'd be very interested to know how they sort it! Have you tried pressing down on the right hand side of the instrument binnacle cover, illustrated in the photo? My rattle goes away when I do this.
Speedometer Trip computer Tachometer Odometer Gauge

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
Finally uploaded the video. As you can see, if there is some body flex affecting the dash - this trim piece will squeak/rattle. I've removed it and applied tome rubber under it - no more sounds during body flex :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had an astra j series before my k that had a anyone rattle sounded like something behind the dash. Tried for months to cure it could never find it. I took it for a service told the reception about it and one of the mechanics over herd me he said that will be the cover over the auto rain censor behind the mirror bit blue tac no more rattle next time it does put your hand on the cover see if it stops.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts