Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been Reading the car is now not supplied wth a car pass. 1 How do we get the Radio Code .Do we have to pay a dealership to proved it.iv got the black tag on my spare key for key number and for to get a spare key I don't mind paying for this but I'd grudge paying for radio code or is there a way to find this out

·
Registered
280 Posts
I read somewhere that the intellilink unit is linked to your car. Therefore assume that the code is stored within the cars software and so is not needed by us?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
As MarcR says the system is programmed to the car if it was to be removed and installed into a different vehicle it would need divorcing from the old car and marrying ho the new one. It's been this way for a few years now

·
Registered
360 Posts
"Divorcing the old car and marrying the new one" sounds like a painful experience...

I suspect some users on this forum will find being 'divorced' from their Astra K will be a painful experience when that day finally comes, judging by the love and adoration the new Astra seems to invoke... :D

Perhaps it's a service dealers will start to offer...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi and Thank you. So if the battery needs changing the code should be stored and won't need manually put in.I'm not up to speed on new technology in this car but I'll get there

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you to all for your help I never thought of the code being stored in the key but with technology I suppose it's better this than on a card I'd probably lose

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on car pass.I asked the sales man I used to purchase my car where the car pass is 2 or 3 day after picking the car up.Today I received a call from him to say the car pass has arrived and he will post it out to me.ill have to wait and see what sort of information is on it.so there must be one if you ask.ill let others know what's on it

·
Registered
145 Posts
No Security Codes/Radio Code exist for the Astra K

Lock-N your Sales Man is telling you porky pies.

I work in the Service Department of a main dealer. Please see my article on Key Codes here: http://www.astrakforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=146

Astra K's are not supplied with Radio Codes at all. There is no security pass for any Vauxhall car from Astra K onwards. All key programming/software updates are now done by the main dealership logging onto General Motors database via software called TIS2WEB using the MDI/Tech 2 diagnostic tools.

This is a new move by GM to prevent independent garages from being able to program keys/carry out illegal software updates. However for customer convenience purposes it means you won't lose/forget the Security Code/Radio Code.

Each radio unit/car is still programmed with a unique code however it is verified as genuine by General Motors central server. This takes the hassle away from the customer but reduces the ability to get 2nd hand or re-programmed units from eBay, etc.

The Astra K is quite an advanced car and as things improve in technological terms GM (and most car manufacturers) want to reduce the chance of hacks/dodgy software being introduced into a vehicles systems.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi and yes I believe you I don't know what the sales guy is on about then as I did ask him about a car pass.He said he would order it as it should have been in the car.And yesterday I received a call to say it was there so I'll have to wait and see what he has orderd.But I can't think what it could be I'm baffled and the same salesmen fitted a set of matts that I paid for only for me to discover they where for a mark 5 or 6 as only one of the clips could be used so see what I me a very thick salesman thinking I would accept a set of matts that don't fit so what dose he mean car pass 1 for the Highland show

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Sales Man may very well have your Security Pass.

On it will be printed VIN, Key Code and Security/Radio Code. However, the code is useless. The car must be plugged into an MDI/Tech 2 diagnostic tool which is in turn plugged into/connected via WiFi to a computer terminal that is logged into GM's database via TIS2WEB. The GM server verifies the cars security details over the internet linking up with the ECU. Before you typed in the code and the ECU was accessible.

If it is not connected any programming/key coding will fail. So him giving you the Car Pass is nice but useless if he does have it.

On the older model you could do this all offline (not on the Internet) with just an MDI/Tech 2 programming tool and the security code.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers.he was to post it to me along with the car matts.Thats another story there is an order backlog Arnold Clark are waiting on a large order.I'm going to phone the parts Dept tomorrow and ask if they have a set for sale.Iv been waiting since I bought the car in February he tried to fit a set that's for an other Astra Model

1 - 14 of 14 Posts