Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

In anticipation of my new Astra, I just wanted to confirm a couple of things about running the engine in. (1.4 150 Turbo).

Someone in work told me that I should have the oil and filter changed after the first 1000 miles and that taking it on long journeys (about 200 miles in one go) is not good while it's running in. Is any of this true?

I was under the impression that you should just take it easy for the first 1000 miles and then you're good to go. I've seen that the manual even says 500 miles for the running in period.

Any help appreciated.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes just don't throttle it for the 1st 1k miles, no need to do anything else

·
Registered
331 Posts
I did read an article recently (which I can't find at the moment sorry) where it was suggested that you have an oil change after 50 miles or so. the reasoning behind it was that you'd flush out any small bits of metal (left over from the manufacturing process) that could be in the engine.

It makes logical sense to me, but I genuinely don't know how true it is!

·
Registered
573 Posts
2k km (1k mile) oil change is recommended just to flush all the metal scrap out.

But as for driving - on a regular car, there's no need to do any specifics, except to avoid excessive reving or hard pull in the first 500km (250miles).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
In the good old days (you know, when engines needed rebuilding every 50-70000 miles) you'd have a special running in oil that would be changed once the engine was run in at 1000 miles. These days they don't seem to bother, but I'm sure it'd not do any harm if you wanted to change oil at that mileage for peace of mind. I think they still recommend that you don't do long distances at a constant speed until it's got a few miles on it. The day I picked mine up I took it from Spalding to Birmingham and back, and the dealer suggested that I may like to risk getting some points on my licence on the motorway as it'd do it a world of good (the car that is, not my licence).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I'll have a word with the dealer and might get an oil/filter change sorted for peace of mind. I've got a long journey coming up right around delivery time so might give my Corsa one last send off before collecting it!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm sure you'll be fine on a long journey, just maybe don't sit at 70 all the way, drop it to 60 for a bit of the journey, up for a bit if you're so inclined as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just drive it normally. Don't thrash it, don't sit at the redline, don't let it labour. Do use all of the Rev range. It's sitting at one speed/rpm constantly that isn't good for the car.

I'd not bother with a 1k oil change. In the olden days (80s) there would be lumps of metal coming off but manufacturing tolerances are now so good it's a thing of the past.

Drive it. Enjoy it. Service at 10,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. To be honest I'd never heard of it before I was told in work and he also said it was from the 80's. Will see how I feel at the time but yes, enjoying it is the most important part!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I always do first oil change on 5000km (~3000 miles). Just for the piece of mind. It definately wont hurt the engine. I change oil myself, so it doesnt cost me much. I never drive on the same oil more than 20kkm (12k miles). I drive my cars until scrap, so i take care of them, so that they still run good even after 300kkm (200k miles).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi,

Vauxhall Service Intervals are every 12 months (1 year) or 20,000 miles whichever comes first. Not 10,000. I would not recommend a Service/Oil & Filter on your new Astra K until 12 months or 20,000 miles. If it's Diesel it may trigger an earlier Change Oil Soon warning due to the DPF but I would not recommend an early oil change unless the warning light comes on.

The only recommendation these days is to try and not do any heavy braking during the brake pad running in period of 1,000 miles. The brake pad material has changed since the 90's and is much more sensitive to abuse than before. After 1,000 miles any early brake squeal at low speeds should begin to fade away if driven properly.

However I would not recommend an Oil & Filter change too early. It is factory filled with 5w30 High Quality Oil and this gets checked by the technician at Pre-Deliivery Inspection (PDI) Stage. If there are any concerns they will not let you drive away with it. In addition the Oil Filter has changed from the previous design so your dealer will not have any in stock until late 2016/early 2017 anyway as Vauxhall/Opel are not producing them for retailer use just yet unless as part of a breakdown/warranty repair special order.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@arcanumfox Thanks for your reply, that clears it up for me then :). It's the same engine as yours, the 1.4 150 Turbo. I guess all I've got to do when it's delivered is just enjoy it! :D

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
ArcanumFox said:
Hi,

Vauxhall Service Intervals are every 12 months (1 year) or 20,000 miles whichever comes first. Not 10,000. I would not recommend a Service/Oil & Filter on your new Astra K until 12 months or 20,000 miles. If it's Diesel it may trigger an earlier Change Oil Soon warning due to the DPF but I would not recommend an early oil change unless the warning light comes on.

The only recommendation these days is to try and not do any heavy braking during the brake pad running in period of 1,000 miles. The brake pad material has changed since the 90's and is much more sensitive to abuse than before. After 1,000 miles any early brake squeal at low speeds should begin to fade away if driven properly.

However I would not recommend an Oil & Filter change too early. It is factory filled with 5w30 High Quality Oil and this gets checked by the technician at Pre-Deliivery Inspection (PDI) Stage. If there are any concerns they will not let you drive away with it. In addition the Oil Filter has changed from the previous design so your dealer will not have any in stock until late 2016/early 2017 anyway as Vauxhall/Opel are not producing them for retailer use just yet unless as part of a breakdown/warranty repair special order.
It seems my car thinks it will need an oil change way before the specified interval if the app is anything to go by. 4 months old with just under 5000 miles on the clock and down to 50% oil life. If it does I hope there will be an oil filter available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My oil life is down to 89% after only 3 1/2 weeks and 840 miles!!!
And no I'm not rallying the car about.... Could this be an issue or is this oil reading not accurate?

·
Registered
856 Posts
geek said:
My oil life is down to 89% after only 3 1/2 weeks and 840 miles!!!
And no I'm not rallying the car about.... Could this be an issue or is this oil reading not accurate?
Hi

Mine seems to drop by about 2% a week and is currently 86% after just over 2000 miles in 7 weeks.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
573 Posts
Story about oil filters not available sounds as a snake oil story :) No manufacturer would start the sale of cars without proper stock up of consumables, thus "no oil filter till late 2016" is bollocks :) If the story would be true - customers would rape the dealerships because of that :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I wouldn't imagine they'd order a boat load of oil filters to then wait nearly a year for them to be used for servicing.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.