Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parking sensors are a novelty for me - I didn't have them on my previous 1.7CDTi Astra J. So all good under normal circumstances and the rear camera is fantastic! However, reversing the damn thing in to my garage is a friggin' nightmare! Unsurprisingly, the alarms were going mental! Undaunted, I gritted my teeth, ignored the din and continued to park it unscathed. Subsequently, I wanted to run through and 'bone up' on the menu system (ie, the trip odometer, fuel consumption, tyre pressure info, etc) but the alarms completely lock the screen as soon as I power up the system and I'm unable to access any of the info, unless I drive the wretched thing back out of the garage! :eek: :x Don't suppose there's any way to disable the alarms temporarily and re-access the menu screen? Apart from the fact the noise is driving me nuts every time I get in to the car!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cornishtaz said:
The only thing to do is turn park assist off thus disabling the sensors only
Thanks!

Presumably, I need to access the menu to do that and it won't allow me all the time the car's in the garage, but I need them to be activated to park it in the first place!! :eek: OK, more 'homework' required by burying my nose in the manual / user guide once again!!

Cheers! :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
cooldad said:
cornishtaz said:
The only thing to do is turn park assist off thus disabling the sensors only
Thanks!

Presumably, I need to access the menu to do that and it won't allow me all the time the car's in the garage, but I need them to be activated to park it in the first place!! :eek: OK, more 'homework' required by burying my nose in the manual / user guide once again!!

Cheers! :)
Nope, no menu needed. Bottom row of buttons just above gear lever. Probably button on right, but you need to check ( easy way to see is to put car in reverse and see which button goes orange).

Press that button and bingo it switches off the parking sensors.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much, 'cornishtaz'!

Clearly, I need to study the manual / user guide more, but I find it's easier to look a numpty and ask stupid questions on here! ;)

Wouldn't believe I used to have a technical job, would you?

·
Registered
573 Posts
sensors are super strange in Opel. I get mental beeping all the time during stop and go traffic or just straight parking.... They seem to be picking up even small bumps ant stones... Horrible stuff :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have parking sensors as well and they drive me nuts, they're so sensitive.

I don't understand the option in the menu to disable them, because as soon as an object gets close enough they automatically switch back on!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I turned mine off in the main menu the other day but then found that they get switched on again next time I started the car!

The car's going in for the squeaky steering and fuel gauge issues next week so I might ask them if there is any way to tone down the sensitivity as they seem insane compared to the factory fit ones I had on the J.

If I had my choice again, I might very well have gone for an Elite (with no over sensitive collision pack) and I'd get the retro fit rear sensors put on by the dealer.

·
Registered
573 Posts
That could be an option :) they seem to be trigered by heat weaves too, i constantly get fanatical beeping if the car in front just revs :) never seen such psychic sensors previously... :)

They are also laging quite a bit

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes mine are annoying me as well. I keep having to turn them off on the switch when I start up in the morning. Their accuracy also are not as good as the ones my BMW had which were spot on. These go to full beep and there is still loads of space.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had my Bi-Turbo Sports Tourer for a week now, Parking sensors are the worst in ANY car ive driven. I mean seriously, way too sensitive and my god my ears, how bloody loud are they. Wish i never spec'd them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was speaking with the warranty chap at my local VX dealer the other day as I have retrofit sensors fitted, which had to have the sensitivity reduced as they are fitted much lower than the standard ones and were picking up the road surface / kerbs as an obstacle.

Anyway I mentioned to him that I had heard people complaining about the sensitivity of the standard fit sensors and he said that it was due to the design of the bumper and the lip where the bumper goes in, under where the sensors are fitted, and where it goes out again as this also protrudes further out than the sensors.

This is why X-Vision had problems getting their aftermarket sensors right for the K and the reason these one are fitted so low compared to standard.

Luckily the aftermarket ones can be adjust for sensitivity not so sure about factory fit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The parking sensors actually make me hate this car. You can't turn them off (only temporarily) and they have actually made me a worse driver. I used to be v good at parking my old civic, now I just can't park because I'm trying to obey the stupidly over sensitive parking sensors.
Is there a way to turn them off permanently or update the software to give me control of the sensitivity?
Seriously, it sounds trivial but it is actually making me detest this car and wish I'd got another civic.

·
Registered
770 Posts
BlingPiece said:
The parking sensors actually make me hate this car. You can't turn them off (only temporarily) and they have actually made me a worse driver. I used to be v good at parking my old civic, now I just can't park because I'm trying to obey the stupidly over sensitive parking sensors.
Is there a way to turn them off permanently or update the software to give me control of the sensitivity?
Seriously, it sounds trivial but it is actually making me detest this car and wish I'd got another civic.
I know what you mean. The parking sensors are beyond a joke and the collision detection is a nightmare from time to time as it is detecting nothing!
If they can't make the sensors work like the J, can there at least be an option to turn them off as a default?
Still wonder about trading this in for a GTC with sound proofing, Watts links, no collision system and parking sensors that aren't mad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts