Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm from Ireland and I'm hoping to order my "Opel" Astra k in the next week.

I'm ordering an elite carbon flash with the 1.4t 150bhp engine.

My only fear is delivery time, on July 1st Irish plates roll over to 162 (second half of year).

So if my car arrived on the last week on June it would be considered "old" come the first of July.

What are wait times like ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya we started using "half years" in 2013.

2016 (January - June) would get a 161 plate
2016 (July-Decemebr) would get a 162 plate

So format would be

162 - D - 12345
D - Dublin etc

So my fear is getting a 161 if the car arrived in June but a 162 if it arrived in July.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You will have the same decision that I had to make.

Either accept the car as soon as it's ready, or delay until the registration changes.

I chose the first option!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yes, if it arrived late June couldn't you just delay picking it up until the start of July and have it put on the new reg?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd happily wait until July.

I'm just not sure I'll have that option.

I taught the car would be automatically registered once it arrives in Ireland ?

This is my first time buying a new car so not sure how it works.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
In the UK the dealer registers the car for when it's collected. My car was on the dealer's stock, I test drove it on trade plates and it was registered the day I arranged to pick it up, some two weeks later.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'd depends which options you ordered on the car.
I ordered mine 10 days ago and it will be delivered to the dealer tomorrow.
But that is because I have a basic SRi with no optional extras and it was coming into the country anyway but not yet allocated to anyone. At the time dealer told me there were 11 available in my chosen colour.
If you have been picky with options they may have to build it from scratch which will be months of waiting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well basically I'm looking to order a carbon flash Elite 1.4t extra will include 18 inch alloys and reverse parking sensors.

another question, at the moment I have an Astra j 2.0cdti 165bhp

The 1.4t has 150bhp but a considerably lighter car and an apparent father 0-60 time.

Will I at least feel some improvement in perforce ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Irishastrak said:
Well basically I'm looking to order a carbon flash Elite 1.4t extra will include 18 inch alloys and reverse parking sensors.

The 1.4t has 150bhp but a considerably lighter car and an apparent father 0-60 time.

If it's not much faster, than you won't feel as much improvement. I personally don't think you will feel much improvement as the 165 Astra 'J' pulled quite nicely in its torque range and with the 150 Astra 'K', you'll get the power delivery over a much greater range, so it should be smoother, but will you feel improvement in the performance? Dunno, but I doubt it...

Let us know when you get the car, please? I for one am interested to hear how you get on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rapster said:
Irishastrak said:

If it's not much faster, than you won't feel as much improvement. I personally don't think you will feel much improvement as the 165 Astra 'J' pulled quite nicely in its torque range and with the 150 Astra 'K', you'll get the power delivery over a much greater range, so it should be smoother, but will you feel improvement in the performance? Dunno, but I doubt it...

Let us know when you get the car, please? I for one am interested to hear how you get on.
I certainly will.

How do you find the 136 Diesel vs the 165 in the J.

Is there much of a performance difference ?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Irishastrak said:

Oh yes! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Irishastrak said:
Rapster said:
Irishastrak said:

I certainly will.

How do you find the 136 Diesel vs the 165 in the J.

Is there much of a performance difference ?
136 Astra 'K' - much faster round corners and more stable, but slower accelerating.
165 Astra 'J' - even though it has the extra weight and did not like going round corners quickly (understeer) it would shift nicely off the line.

You can feel the difference between engines. That's not to say the 136 engine is bad, because it isn't. It has very, very good consumption figures and still has quite nice acceleration and over a greater rev band. It's just that the Astra 'K' Elite 136 is slower than than the Astra 'J' Elite 165 in a straight line and much quicker going round corners.

However, out of the two, the 136 is more fun to drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.