Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I buy Opel Astra 2018 1.6 CDTI 100kw Automatic
I've read about the problems with the chain. I have had the car for half a year and the mileage is 130 000 km. Is it possible that the 2018/07 model year does not have this problem anymore? I see quite often on the forums right now that 2015,2016,2017 are struggling with this.

I have a slightly different problem, and that is that something is humming from the left rear wheel. Is it an electronic sound like a pump? Has anyone experienced this?

thank you for answers

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hello
I have an Astra just as you and my is Aldo model year 2018, but producet in november 2017. I al the first owner and the Astra passed 100.000 kilometer yesterday. So far no chain problems. The issues I have had with the car where folowing:
New right headlight (Matrix led)
New turbo
New in navigation unit
And once check engine light was on and the garage fixed the problem under warranty

I hope that is it, because the warranty expired in july last year.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I previously owned a 2016 plate Astra 1.6d auto, yes I had timing chain issues with it. I'm not sure if the later models had an uprated tensioner guides fitted or not. Not the sort of thing vauxhall would admit to for obvious reasons.
You'll soon know if the issue was to occur though.
Maybe @Valer would advise if this engine on an 2018 plate has gone over to the newer 0w 20 oil? I now own an 2018 plate 1.4t auto, using 0w 20 oil now, as recommended by Vauxhall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes from service book for 2018 model original service use 0w 20 oil. In 130 000 km i dont hear any chain issues.
Only what i hear is electronic sound of fuel pump. Has anyone had similar experiences?

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
yes from service book for 2018 model original service use 0w 20 oil. In 130 000 km i dont hear any chain issues.
Only what i hear is electronic sound of fuel pump. Has anyone had similar experiences?
Considering the mileage you've already covered, sounds reassuring. My chain rattle started at 27k, back then the dealers had no long term solution or fix to the problem, apart from me to pay for them to drop my engine, replace the timing chain kit, possibly the oil pump chain whilst they were on, which I wasn't prepared to do. Although I think the replacement timing chain kits now have an uprated tensioner guide, not sure if they were fitted from factory 2018 on though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts