Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Onstar Wifi Speed?

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Josh27 
#1 ·
Hi!

I'm from spain, but i would like to know how it works in another countries..

Can you tell me at wich speed can you download from the onstar wifi?

Now, I can only download at 7Mb up/8Mb down, and I think is a very slow one for 4g (on my iPhone, wich is in the same network (vodafone) that the onstar wifi 4g I get 50-60Mb..)

Thanks!

#2 ·
In theory the connection will be better as the fin antenna has no WiFi strength restrictions like mobile handheld devices do to limit radiation.

However the signal will vary greatly depending on whether you're out in the countryside or in the city. It is just a 4G LTE connection after all so it will vary from place to place like a phone signal. It will have the reception to receive a signal for longer than a phone would due to the antenna but strength will obviously dip over a long distance.

#3 ·
Maybe Vodafone are artificially limiting/capping the SIM cards provided to Vauxhall - and maybe more so in the 1 year trial?

If you are on Vodafone and run a speedtest from your phone and the car around the same time and one is slower than the other this maybe an indicator of some traffic shaping.

#4 ·
fryrpc said:
Maybe Vodafone are artificially limiting/capping the SIM cards provided to Vauxhall - and maybe more so in the 1 year trial?

If you are on Vodafone and run a speedtest from your phone and the car around the same time and one is slower than the other this maybe an indicator of some traffic shaping.
hmm i wonder where the sim card is and if it will be possible to insert one of your own with a data allowance if you want to opt out of the onstar bit but still want wifi at a later date

#9 ·
Now I'm even more confused. In the UK, OnStar uses the Vodafone network and to the best of my knowledge, Vodafone do not provide CDMA. They are a GSM network.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.