Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
i was told data part was another £79

data is also dependant on taking up the onstar option i was also told as you cant have data without onstar being active - so effectively £158 for data all told

·
Registered
27 Posts
when I asked about it while deciding on purchasing the car, I was told that after the free year, the OnStar would be £79 per year and the 4G data would be extra. Unless its now been released, as of last month, there was no plan made/set up for what the data costs would be. Also, the 4G data will be provided by Vodafone

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sully93 said:
when I asked about it while deciding on purchasing the car, I was told that after the free year, the OnStar would be £79 per year and the 4G data would be extra. Unless its now been released, as of last month, there was no plan made/set up for what the data costs would be. Also, the 4G data will be provided by Vodafone
Hi

That's exactly what I was told when I collected my car last month.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The £79 will apparently include some level of breakdown cover, but not sure how much. I'll probably keep it on, just not so sure about the data as I don't really use it. Mind you, isn't Onstar reliant on mobile data to work?

·
Registered
145 Posts
For me as an iPhone owner it is absolutely worth it. Here are some reasons:

- My girlfriend, parents and some friends also have iPhones of differing ages and being able to call them from the car's 4G through Audio Facetime saves a lot of money and improves call quality.

- Being able to play music not stored on the phone through the Apple iCloud saves storage space on the phone. New songs not yet downloaded to the phone are also available to play via the 4G.

- CarPlay will be constantly updated just like Apples Operating Systems. Most updates, including Wireless CarPlay, will require a WiFi connection such as that provided by the Astra K OnStar 4G.

- Diagnostics, advice and accident assistance. Dealerships are not available 24/7 but OnStar is. A lot of Engine Management Lights are faulty sensors that you can potentially afford to not panic, book in at a dealer and carry on driving. Alternatively you may have a major fault and need immediate support. For this OnStar provides an actual human on the end of the phone able to assist you whether you're breathing or not! For parents or safety conscious it's a fantastic piece of technology that will keep the car on the road and you safe from harm.

- OnStar Ignition Block & GPS Tracking. There is a reason the UK Police have just made a mass purchase order of OnStar equipped Vauxhall's. They fit their own protection devices and blocks but if they fail then you have a 2nd line of defence to track the in danger or stolen Police vehicle. It also provides diagnostic information so Police Workshops can save the taxpayer money and book in warranty work ASAP without worrying about possible non-warranty costs.

- WiFi hotspot means passengers can have increased comfort and carry on using their normal phone internet services even in remote areas. This will be particularly useful on long journeys with kids & iPads or for business people needing to be always connected.

- SmartPhone function. I've already had to override the car systems and force it to lock when my key stopped locking it correctly. It ultimately was a non-issue but it provides an extra layer of safety if you can't remember if you locked the car or not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is something I have looked into, the second year onward data cost. The figures from the US are "interesting" but I do not know how much their normal mobile contracts cost. I think it will be more than £79 for the data. I still think I will subscribe for On-Star for £79 going forwards.

As per others, I was told the data cost has not been announced yet, though I guess it will have to be soon as the first years will be running out within the next 6 /7 months?

·
Registered
411 Posts
"oldskool » i was told data part was another £79... so effectively £158 for data all told"

No prices announced as yet for data. Whoever told you that was talking rubbish, with the greatest respect.

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I called Vauxhall about future costs etc of On Star I was told that the breakdown cover that is included is called for by OnStar but you have to pay for it, it is not a free replacement for cover such as AA, Green Flag etc. Does anyone else have different info.?

·
Registered
256 Posts
The dealer I had a test drive with said that a continuation of the breakdown cover was definitely included with the £79 Onstar subscription from year 2. Sounds like another item nobody is quite sure about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just had notification of my OnStar renewal. £89.50 + wifi data package.

Text taken from the website.

Pricing for the OnStar services (excluding Wi-Fi) depends on the duration of the subscription. For an annual OnStar subscription it will cost £89.50 including VAT.

After you have set up your account, you can administer and purchase your Wi-Fi plans quickly and comfortably through the Vodafone Internet In the Car portal.

Vodafone offers you the data plan which suits your needs best2:
•Vodafone's "Daily plan"1: Best for a single journey. 24 hours or 1 GB3 of high speed surfing and streaming for £5.
•Vodafone's "Monthly plan (28 days)"1: Ideal for frequent use. 28 days or 1GB3 of data for £10 or10 GB of data3 for £20.

Check the link below;

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/onstar/after-my-trial.html

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I think I will get the £79 subscription when mine runs out in may2017. Twice now a cat jump on my car now and got a text alert warning me, and the alarm when off. But worst still if some prick smashes your window. You won't get the alert from your phone. Prevention better then cure. Peace of mind :p

G

·
I'll be renewing OnStar for peace of mind but not the data. The day plan might be handy for long journeys now and again!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts