Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone on the forum know how to keep the hotspot on all the time?
It would be so useful while on holiday to be able to use the hotspot outside of the car.
Unfortunately as soon as you open a door it switches off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi andyofbolton, thanks for the interesting reply which I will try shortly, I'll let you know if it works as it did for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi cornishtaz, I can confirm this to be correct.
I tried it by exiting the passenger door and it stayed on for a while but then stopped.
Signal strength was better than expected and could watch a youtube video from the house without any hesitations.
Reading up about Onstar, it looks like ongoing costs for data and the onstar service aint gonna come cheap!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does that include the wifi/data or just onstar? As when I set mine up seems to be two different services on the website with different end dates for the trials. Likely to have to buy both...

G

·
Likewise, I think the whole thing is £79 a year after the first year. Why not buzz the OnStar folks and they should know. I would but I'm currently embedded into the sofa.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a feeling you'll have to buy a data plan too similar to that for the 4G dongles & iPads. I hope I'm wrong though! If it's £79 all in, I'll go for it for sure!

·
Registered
34 Posts
A salesman I spoke to told me a trick of leaving the key in the ignition, on first click ignition not actually switched on, then lock the doors manually by putting key in door and turning like an old car

Obviously only if it's safe to do so, and he did say he barricaded the car in with another car

·
Registered
856 Posts
KevWak said:
I was lead to believe that was for both.
Could be wrong though.
Hi

I'm pretty sure it's only for the on star service and data will be extra like a mobile phone contract.

Cheers

Paul

G

·
Shame, although that would have been very cheap indeed! Will have to make the most of it this year!

I'd also imagine that they'd have different data tiers. So 1GB per month for £10 for example and going up from there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I phoned onstar back in january about the ongoing costs they were unable even to guess at the likely 4g costs. I was told that there would be no point in paying the £79 annual charge as onstar will not work without 4g.

·
Registered
383 Posts
In my opinion, I think onstar is pretty useless for me personally. I can understand it may be handy if you have a nav model and you can phone up and ask for directions to wherever, but with non-nav models Siri or the android equivalent can do that.

I will not be paying for onstar next year.

·
Registered
91 Posts
KevWak said:
In my opinion, I think onstar is pretty useless for me personally. I can understand it may be handy if you have a nav model and you can phone up and ask for directions to wherever, but with non-nav models Siri or the android equivalent can do that.

I will not be paying for onstar next year.
i agree tbh , ive only used onstar when the dealer did his display and for one satnav destination upload when i was showing someone - other then that i used it to ask onstar for a dtc code when my eml came on which they could not help with

the wifi is great and we use that a lot though

1 - 20 of 27 Posts