Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe OnStar lets you locate your car via an iPhone or Android App if it is lost or stolen. Does that mean that all OnStar models have GPS, even the non-Nav versions?

The brochure also suggests you can lock and unlock your car remotely from the App. Does that work on all OnStar models?

Does it integrate with Siri and HomeKit too? Can you say, "Hey Siri, unlock my Astra" into your Apple Watch?

Apple HomeKit definitely supports this kind of functionality with 3rd party systems and some people have got it working their own home automation systems including garage doors ("Hey Siri, open the pod bay doors...")

·
Registered
495 Posts
i have the my vauxhall app and can turn the lights on, sounds the horn, lock and unlock the car also check the tyre pressure, fuel, and mpg

Can also send destination to my satnav for when i get in the car

Sadly it doest integrate with Siri or home kit as being able to unlock using my apple watch would be great would also me nice to be able to start the car whilst still being locked for them early mornings

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My no-nav SRi has GPS for the Onstar, so I can find my car, it also means that they know where you are in an emergency. The app controlled lock/unlock also works on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
nuno50 said:
What are all the options visible in the OnStar app?
Source: http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/onstar/index.html#smartphoneint

- Display key diagnostics (like tyre pressure, fuel and oil levels) anytime, anywhere.
- Lock and unlock your car doors remotely.
- Locate your vehicle if you can't remember where you last parked.
- Once you're close to your car, flash the lights and honk the horn to identify it.
- Enter your destination address into your smartphone and send it to your car's navigation system.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
nuno50 said:
Are you able to locate the vehicle position geographically with the OnStar app?
Yes you can. The day after collecting my car my wife took it to work so I could get her car serviced. I tried the app then and it told me the car was parked in her works car park. It uses Google Maps to show you where it is.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Nuno. That sounds good. Pity they didn't do Apple Notifications as they are extremely fast and can be sent to multiple devices at the same time (Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc).

Ideally I'd want to my wife to be notified as well as me, in case she's nearer. Email is OK and we can set up to play loud alarm noises when one arrives, but it's not always very fast, especially if email is being polled.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You can set a second driver on the account, I'm not sure if they will then contact both drivers as I've not tried to set it up yet.

·
Registered
798 Posts
UKtekkie said:
Ideally I'd want to my wife to be notified as well as me, in case she's nearer. Email is OK and we can set up to play loud alarm noises when one arrives, but it's not always very fast, especially if email is being polled.
You may always install a sms auto forwarder app on your mobile phone and get other contacts also notified about the alarm. ;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Here ya go - when you manage to accidentally lock someone in your Astra and the alarm goes off, OnStar sends a text. When you do it again shortly thereafter, you get another text. The language in the text from the person locked in the car was somewhat more colourful. #SorryWifey #Doghouse

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks TJ.

What are the other OnStar features like? Do you call OnStar support for finding locations, for other things, or not at all?

Vauxhall claim the OnStar 4G is much better than using a mobile thanks to the roof aerial. Do you find this really is the case, or is there actually little difference? We've already got two iPads and two iPhones that support 4G tethering so I'd only use OnStar if it really did offer a much better signal and I'm curious to know if it offers much benefit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The MyVauxhall website is prompting me to subscribe to OnStar now, 9 weeks before my Astra arrives, so I asked whether I should sign up now or wait. Here's the response:

On 18 Jan 2016, at 11:10 am, OnStar.Europe <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for your email of today.
The 12 months Onstar Trial Period will start only when you sign the Warranty Documents.
You may complete the subscription now as it will not shorten the period you will be able to benefit from the Onstar services and facilities.

Regards
Rosely

OnStar Europe Ltd.
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You may find that your years data subscription starts early though, mine started a week before I took delivery of the car, so my data runs out a week before the rest of my onstar package.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.