Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked the oil level and mine was low after 2 000km (since oil change). So it means Astra consumed 0.5ltr of oil per 1 000km. I'd say thats a bit of odd consumption for such car :) Whats your oil consumption with petrol engines?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 1.4 Turbo Petrol. Had the vehicle from new since November 2015.

Took the vehicle in for an Oil & Filter change last week as I hit 45% Oil Life and was noticing a drop in fuel economy to 35-40MPG. I asked the technician to check the oil before changing it and he did notice it was a little bit on the low side and would have recommended a 0.5 litre top-up if I wasn't having the Oil changed. I had driven 1,800 miles and picked it up from dealership at 2 miles on clock (PDI/removal from transport).

1,800 miles is approximately 2,800KM so I managed at least 2,800KM before needing 0.50 top-up.

However on my next two drives I went from 38MPG to 51.5MPG and 52MPG on the trip computer & OnStar! Good quality/good condition oil really does seem to have an impact on this car. I drove the exact same route I had driven for my previous 3/4 trips when I was receiving 35-40MPG and the traffic/road condition was exactly the same.

This is a new engine for Opel/Vauxhall and Turbocharger technology has improved a lot since the early days of GM turbo's. I imagine the pay off is it uses a bit more Oil but if that is the case to prevent breakdown I am happy with that.

G

·
Mine dropped by about 0.25l since mid April and 1400 miles so I had it topped up earlier as we're on a 450 mile round trip this weekend.

·
Registered
411 Posts
9500 miles covered, first time since delivery the oil has been checked, car is our demonstrator so has regular numpty test drivers giving it the full bananas and the regular driver (me) is not known for hanging about.

Not a lot of oil used, it would appear. 1.6CDTi (136)

Font Metal Auto part Fashion accessory Twig

Attachments

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Having looked at the engine spec for my car (B16SHT), I noticed that the engine is slightly 'undersquare', ie a bore of 79mm with a stroke of 81.5mm. This will mean higher piston speeds as compared to an 'oversquare' unit and so this may affect oil consumption. The difference should be marginal, however.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts