Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of my new Astra K Auto Elite Nav last month. I previously had a Vectra Auto 2.2. Elite with Nav for 5 years until it was written off by some girls who stole and used a BMW in a crime, then decided to smash into me. Decided it was time to get a smaller car, but still wanted the luxury. Love the car so far (although it had to go back into the garage when it started displaying a problem in the air bag system on the day after I got it!! My accident was in January when the automatics weren't available, but the garage sorted me out with a new corsa on cheap hire until my Astra was ready. Still getting used to it and am putting off trying the automatic parking as it frightened the life out of me on the day I got it and the salesman came with me on a drive.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Chris.

Not the ideal way to change your car!

I ordered the same spec Astra last week without having the benefit of a test drive as the 3 nearest franchised dealers did not have an automatic available! What do you think of the gearbox? Is it smooth on up and down shift, always in the right gear and is it quick to respond to kickdown? If you've driven the VW Group DSG box, how does it compare?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Welcome, Chris!

Hope you enjoy your car as much as I'm enjoying mine!

I had a 1.7CDTi Astra J before this one and found it a bit sluggish, although it was a great car. My new 'K' has very lively performance and I can't believe the economy, considering it's a relatively fast car.

Have fun!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff16150 said:
Welcome to the Forum Chris.

Not the ideal way to change your car!

I ordered the same spec Astra last week without having the benefit of a test drive as the 3 nearest franchised dealers did not have an automatic available! What do you think of the gearbox? Is it smooth on up and down shift, always in the right gear and is it quick to respond to kickdown? If you've driven the VW Group DSG box, how does it compare?
Hi Jeff - I've driven automatics for 27 years (incidentally my first was an Astra!) and now I am completely unaware of them changing gear. I found it very difficult 27 years ago and developed a twitchy left foot constantly searching for the clutch. Now I never think about it, so I guess the answer is yes it is smooth and in the right gear. I haven't had to kickdown yet, but none of other cars had a problem - they were all vauxhalls - cavellier, vectras and even a signum. Never driven a VW. I drove from London to Bournemouth last week - longest drive for it yet - and was very impressed, particularly when I got nudged back into lane as I'd forgotten to signal! I did a test drive before I bought it, but only in a diesel as the petrol engines were not available. The original garage I went to arranged for me to have a test drive but when I got there they told me they had already sold the car (not impressed). In the end I got to drive one of Vauxhall executives cars who was visiting at the time. Not easy getting test drives of automatics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts