Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Also I meant to say there is a slight whining sound on the overrun after blipping the engine I assume its the turbo spooling down. There is no acoustic padding under the bonnet.
View attachment 8913
There's no padding under the bonnet, that's normal, mine has none, either.
It may help if you run some premium fuel through it, as this is what vaux recommend for your engine.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Can't say I've ever noticed a problem with the 1.6T's tickover. Revs higher at cold start and soon drops down to a steady tickover at about 750-800rpm.
Seems pretty rock solid since its recent service. That said, mine has only been fed Super Unleaded since I got it 2nd hand in 2018 (Sainsbury's 97 or Tesco Momentum 99) so perhaps a few flushes through of the recommended stuff might help?

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I went to main dealer and, after listening to engine and a test drive, they are happy all is ok and the slightly uneven tickover is normal.

They also checked for any warranty work done or any recalls work. I was very happy for their help, Thurlow Nunn, Luton.

The lighting is a different story as I suspected.

The dip beam is poor and unacceptable.

Which leaves me to either return the car to Cazoo or retrofit brighter bulbs or LED's or HID Xenons, been there before with the Skoda Octavia which had similar setup.

I'd be interested to know though from anyone who has done this and is free from error messages and no MOT issues. Do you need to access the cars computer to change any settings.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
I've just upgraded my bulbs with upgraded halogen ones, I'm happy enough with the result and they'll pass an mot. Granted not as good as led's, but acceptable. Maybe 50% better than the factory ones.
Very easy like for like replacement, bought a set of my H7's for a fiver from Lidl when they were on offer, as good as Osram laser breakers, which I'd previously fitted to another K which cost a lot more.
I also did the same with my headlight bulbs, buy bought a set when they were on offer from Eurocarparts, 50% brighter, think they cost me £7, although I'm not too bothered about my main beam, that seems acceptable from standard.
These are the bulbs I bought at Lidl when they were on offer, I bought a couple of boxes, they are made in Germany. Lasted for around 18 months so far, since I've fitted them-
Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Font

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'd be interested to know though from anyone who has done this and is free from error messages and no MOT issues. Do you need to access the cars computer to change any settings.
Mike
I fitted HID Dipped and LED Mains to my old 1400 ST. I bought both kits from LEDPerf in France for just over £160. No error messages at all and pretty easy to fit. As you would expect they were worlds apart from the standard setup.

However, Brexit has prolly made them overly expensive now and they will fail MOT regardless. (unless you've got a friendly inspector) So as Boro' says, if you wanna keep legal your only option is to find the best and brightest H7 halogens you can but none of them will be a patch on HID's as I'm sure you're aware.

My lad got the car after me and he just swapped the bulbs over come MOT time which only takes 10 mins or so, so well worth it IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
That's a good compromise. On main beam no prob. but dip beam needs the boost up and it's used more than main.
Every Astra I've ever owned from the 90's on have always had poor dipped headlamps. They're especially bad on b roads or when you are driving around town when it's raining and you experience a lot of glare from street lamps from the road, you struggle to see where you are going.
Having owned a previous car with factory led's (Leon), it's like a difference between night and day, but factory led headlights are expensive to replace, as it's far cheaper to replace a bulb. So I'm happy with the compromise that I've made, no worries about it not being road/mot legal, either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I've fitted the Halfords H7's and they're a lot better than than the originals, which would be 5 years old.Ignore the plastic lid that just catches the oil drip from the corsa which needs a new owner now.

The pic of the headlight is there as I need to know how to adjust the vertical and horizontal for the main and dip beams. There are two small male torx screws in front of the main lid which I suspect are for main horizontal. Can't try as I haven't the tools yet. The vert of the dip seems to be adjusted by the knurled nut by the red connector which seems illogical as it is behind the main. The other knurled nut near the inner wing doesn't seem to do anything to dip or main!! Can't find anything on youtube to explain all this. Maybe someone here know what does what.

Road surface Rectangle Wood Asphalt Floor
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Tire Car Wheel
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
I've fitted the Halfords H7's and they're a lot better than than the originals, which would be 5 years old.Ignore the plastic lid that just catches the oil drip from the corsa which needs a new owner now.

The pic of the headlight is there as I need to know how to adjust the vertical and horizontal for the main and dip beams. There are two small male torx screws in front of the main lid which I suspect are for main horizontal. Can't try as I haven't the tools yet. The vert of the dip seems to be adjusted by the knurled nut by the red connector which seems illogical as it is behind the main. The other knurled nut near the inner wing doesn't seem to do anything to dip or main!! Can't find anything on youtube to explain all this. Maybe someone here know what does what.

View attachment 8942 View attachment 8943 View attachment 8944
They certainly look a lot whiter than stock. I've only adjusted my dip from the toggle switch inside the car on the dash.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Looks a lot whiter than mine which I assume are the original ones at 6.5 years old! Might be tempted to get some of these.

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Drove 65 miles last night along some lanes the A5, as M1 closed, so a good test of these lights, which do the job a lot better than std halogens.

Does anyone here know how to adjust the main beams horizontally? I it the small male torx screw?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts