Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking here for a while so better intro.

Should be collecting a 2017 1.6T Sri from Cazoo on Thursday but an issue has a risen.

The car was advertised in Autotrader with Intellilux headlights, reversing camera and parking assist and I went ahead and bought the car a couple of days ago.

On further checking with Cazoo they tell me it's only got halogen.

I've had a long conversation with customer service and Cazoo should be physically checking the car for the Intellilux lights and getting back to me by email.

I've checked images of Itellilux lights and suspect this only has the halogen.

I notice that several other Astras on Cazoo with Autotrader also show Intellilux but I suspect they're halogen too.

I also had a long chat with Autotrader security team and they are concerned Cazoo are putting this info in their ads and will be talking to Cazoo.

If I go ahead and have the car I suspect the low beam halogen will be abolutely like a candle.

Has anyone here converted theirs to Xenon and do you have to access the car computer to avoid canbus probs?

I had this experience with Skoda vRS in past. I converted that to Xenon from ebay and got the computer ticked to avoid problems. No MOT probs either.

Hoping the Astra may be simpler to mod.

Any advice would be helpful.

Regards

Mike

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Mike,
Hello and welcome to the forum.
It wouldn't put me off from buying that Astra, as it has one of the better engines with regards to reliability. Halogen bulbs are a lot cheaper to replace, too, compared to an led light cluster. Especially if you were going to keep the car for a while.
I just upgraded my halogen bulbs, for uprated halogen b bulbs, for the about of time I need my lights for b road type driving, I'm not too bothered.
Yes led lights are nice, I owned a Leon with them, but If it was the car I wanted, I wouldn't let that stop me from buying the car.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
As Boro said don’t dismiss the car “just’ by the headlamps , yes they arnt the best in the world , I’ve had a couple of cars since owing my K (2021 seat Ibiza , 2022 Ford puma) and both have LED and are far far superior . BUT you have chosen well with engine , the 1.6t is the best engine in the VX line up and I never had a single issue with my 68 plate 1.6t .
Just upgrade to some decent bulbs and they will do the trick , also try and grab some sort of goodwill gesture off cazoo , maybe a free service or something for the wrong info.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Astra CDTi Sri Nav 2018
161 Posts
I know that Cazoo certainly offer very good part exchange prices and their cars generally seem competitively priced.
Also a very good thing to point out is that because Cazoo are an online retailer only rather than an in store ... Store, it means you benefit from a 14 day return legally as you can't technically test drive the car without paying for it entirely.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Also a very good thing to point out is that because Cazoo are an online retailer only rather than an in store ... Store, it means you benefit from a 14 day return legally as you can't technically test drive the car without paying for it entirely.
I think most online sellers are also doing that too, although I'd prefer to test drive before I commit to buy. If it's the car you want, then fair enough.
As we know it's a tough used a new car selling market now, limited stock and higher prices.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I agree with all here re: not rejecting the car coz of the halogens. Yes, they aren't the best in the world but tbh, it seems that most of the problems in the early days of the cars release were down to the lights being poorly setup from the factory (i.e. too low). Once they were adjusted correctly, although not fantastic they were acceptable, especially with brighter bulbs in.

My last ST was equipped with halogens and I swapped the dipped beam for 4300K HID's and the main beam for 5000K LED's. This made a world of a difference as you would expect but unlike a lot of the earlier VX cars that came with HID as an option, there isn't a "bit you can flip" with Opcom/GDS2 to stop headlight error messages popping up. You just have to hope that the kit(s) you buy are of good enough quality to have a decent ballast setup to get around the errors.

My current ST has Intellilux and I can honestly say that apart from the clever switching on/off (which IS very good admittedly) depending on the conditions, they are no better than the HID/LED setup that my old ST had for absolute light output.

I would deffo still go for the car as it's got the best engine of the crop by far. No problems getting it up to the mid/high 40's mpg on runs and you have the grin factor of nearly 200bhp when you want it. (y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'll collect the car and as Cazoo allow 7days with a no quibble return I can checkout the night driving to evaluate the lights.

By way of a comparison in the past I had a Skoda Octavia vRS which had a similar setup of projector low beam and reflector high beam, both halogens.

The low beam was truly awful and from the Briskoda forum info I was able to fit an ebay HID which I thought brought the low beam up to normal reflector beam standard.
I believe the projector lens was really intended for Bi Xenons and there is insuffient light from a halogen bulb.

Incidentally I also converted by Subaru Impreza WR1 main and dip to HID Xenons, no probs there as no canbus system, what a main beam. Seems like a lifetime ago now.

Nowadays I guess the modern replacement bulb could well be the answer although a Xenon kit could be cheaper but I don't know about compatibility with canbus.

I've asked Cazoo to consider some goodwill jesture as sugested here and await there reply.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The 1.6T is an absolute gem of an engine with a lot of low down torque and a surprising turn of speed, all with fairly low running costs, plus the Watts Link and extra sound deadening (probably).

Can't say I've noticed a major problem with the dipped lights, seem OK to me. Wish they were a bit more white so they match the LED side lights but that's a minor niggle.

I'm sure there are a few users on here who can recommend better, brighter (& whiter!) bulbs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the rear suspension torsion bar design, I was wondering how the watts linkage tied in to this?

Taking the old Corsa D to we buy any car in few mins, hope they don't try and knock the price down or its plan B.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Is the rear suspension torsion bar design, I was wondering how the watts linkage tied in to this?
This is what you get:

The Watts link rear end is a semi-independent twist-beam rear suspension system consisting of the following components:
• An axle with integral trailing arms
• A “V” shaped twisting cross beam
• Coil springs
• Two shock absorbers
• Two equalizer beam links
• An equalizer centre beam link
• An equalizer beam support

Human body Font Line Bicycle part Parallel

(1) Rear Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly
(2) Rear Brake Caliper Bracket
(3) Rear Axle Bracket Assembly
(4) Rear Spring Insulator
(5) Rear Spring
(6) Rear Shock Absorber
(7) Rear Axle
(8) Rear Suspension Latch Link
(9) Center Pivot Ball Joint
(10) Equalizer Beam Support

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just finished being insulted by Webuyanycar, offered £495 from valuation of £856. The guy said the valuation is based on new car condition!!!

So it's plan B.

Cazoo didn't want to trade as the AC doesn't work.

The bearing in the pulley just became noisy and so I put on short belt which bypasses the AC.
Not had any cold air out of it for a long time so I guess it needs regassing.
We've had the car from new 2007 and have never been too bothered that it didn't work as used only for local runs, just passed MOT and a service.

Thanks for the Watts linkage info re pts 8, 9 & 10.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The Watts Link is part of the how car was designed to ride and handle by the engineers before the penny-pinching accountants removed it.

In effect, it bestows the Astra with a really supple ride while locking the rear wheels into a better orientation for cornering, so you get a better ride and better handling. Had a 1.4T without the Acoustic Pack (sound proofing) and Watts Link and my current 1.6T is a light year ahead (though the storming engine does help by providing a big grin!)

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I think most of the time, these "We sell all brands" companies are just ignorant on what they sell.

I have seen numerous cars with unregulated aircon, sold as "Aircon/Climate control", i have seen numerous cars sold as having blind spot detection, even though the pictures clearly shows that the sensors are just not there, i have seen numerous cars sold as having heated seats and steering wheel, even though there are clear pictures of the dash, showing the blank buttons where you would turn on these features if the car had it.

Also, atleast in my country, most sellers will put down that any fully electric car has "automatic gearbox / Tiptronic" which is really stupid, as no electric cars have manual gears or "flappy padels" for manual gearchange

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I collected the car today from Wembley Cazoo.
The handover went ok. the car was in their showroom with a cover over it so they make it slightly theatrical.
It looks in good condition and they had gone over it with some type of polish which had dried white and shown up the small paintwork nicks.
Checked the car all over and several small nicks in the paintwork which I recorded apart from their imperfections listed. Not an issue. Its done 42500 miles.
It drives ok, engine and transmission smooth.
However, the tickover is a slightly erratic and I detect what seems to be slight missfire when I put my hand on the plastic cover.
I'm going to VX main dealer tomorrow and ask them to have a listen as they've seen a lot more than me and hopefully advise me of the norm for tickover smoothness.
I have 7 days no quibble return.
Maybe you guys could give some feedback on how smooth these 1.6Turbos are at tickover as I have read a little about low engine speed pre ignition and subsequent piston/cylinder damage when the only symptom was rough tickover.
Regards
M

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I collected the car today from Wembley Cazoo.
It looks in good condition and they had gone over it with some type of polish which had dried white and shown up the small paintwork nicks.
The general consensus on here is that the k's paintwork is fairlt weak so at 42500 miles i guess it's to be expected that there will be stone chips etc unfortunately.

Maybe you guys could give some feedback on how smooth these 1.6Turbos are at tickover as I have read a little about low engine speed pre ignition and subsequent piston/cylinder damage when the only symptom was rough tickover.
Regards
M
Although the 1600 engine isn't immune to the dreaded LSPI, the cases of it are few and far between compared to the 1400, or even the 1000. In the early days there seemed to be a fair few cases of it in the eastern european markets but there was talk that that was more to do with the crap fuel quality. 🤷‍♂️ I must admit that my 1600's tickover never seems to be consistent, especially from cold but I've never had any fault codes thrown re: the engine so I just tend to accept it for what it is. There is an issue with the evap valve on the 1600 and apparently there was a tsb about it but I think that would only have been rectified on a customer complaint basis, i.e. not a full recall as such. The whining you mentioned below could possibly be that if it's more of a whistle ? Pull the dipstick and see if the engine runs any differently which is a pretty good indication there is a problem. I'm sure Valer or Redman would be able to confirm if yours has been done.....if you ask nicely :ROFLMAO:

Also I meant to say there is a slight whining sound on the overrun after blipping the engine I assume its the turbo spooling down. There is no acoustic padding under the bonnet.
i can hear mine ever so slightly (and I've got the acoustic pack fitted) but I would be a little bit concerned if it's fairly noticeable as if it's on the way out, I can see it being an expensive fix. If you've got access to a recording device that can reproduce a decent quality, post it up here and I'm sure some of the guys will give you their opinion.

But for the time being, get used to it and enjoy it. (y)

Reactions: Boroboy
1 - 20 of 37 Posts