Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm a big fan of Opel and Astra, since my family has ours for 8 years now, and my 3 brothers also have and drive Astra for several years. I'm very attracted by new Astra, since it was first published last year, but after having one driven on the test drive few weeks ago, I can say I'm almost in love with the car. :) It is a very fun and exciting car to drive. I'm interested in diesel engine, SRI trim, although in my country the trim is named differently, it has almost the identical specs. Considering the color, I like the Emerald green and the Blue sky the most, but find the black and granite grey very attractive too.
However, I'm having a bit difficulties finally deciding and buying the car! I know this forum is about Astra only, but I'm also interested in Skoda Octavia (Style- Elegance trim). The main reasons why Octavia is interfering in my buying choice, are the bigger trunk(590l) that car offers in comparison to Astra and the same price between these two models. I'm hoping to have kids in the next couple of years, and I'm afraid I will not have enough space in that Astra trunk for all that stuff I'll be carrying around. (And no,I don't want to buy one car now, and then sell it after 3 years and buy another one :) ). Built quality in the cabin is almost the same between the cars, Astra has a bit more comfortable seats in my opinion and is bit more fun to drive. The specs between the cars are the same, since I won't be chosing the AGR seats, Intellux lights and Onstar on Astra. Opel has higher rating as a brand and is more popular in my country, but experiences and reviews of drivers having the Octavia are also very good. Honestly, my heart goes for Astra, but my sense a bit leans on the Octavia.. :/
I would really love to hear your thoughts on this dilemma and maybe some pros/cons about both cars if you're willing to share! :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi ant welcome ;)

Great question u have there :) I had a similar thoughts and i was choosing among: Opel Astra, Skoda Octavia, Renault Megane (new), Peugeot 308, VW Golf, Toyota Auris hybrid. In the end it come down to Opel and Skoda too.

My main arguments for a car ware: must not have any bad image associated (Skoda, was a looser in this since their fraud with diesels), good petrol engine (Skoda does not have good options here), should look and have a image of ordinary working man car and not be associated with any luxury (i have my own reasons), good value for money (Opel is a winner here), residual values (again, Opel) and be more fun to drive (Opel is a winner here too).

Also Opel is a newer model, thus it's facelift will happen later while Octavia should receive its first facelift by the end of this year. Thus i would have been buying a dated car already :)

Build quality is more or less the same. I still find strange how Opel cut so many corners with cheapness of "non essential parts". For example carpet in Astra is super cheap and screaming low quality while Skoda has a bit more common carpet.

But the biggest plus for Skoda is sound insulation. Astra literally has NO SOUND INSULATION, absolutely nothing, just open the boot and look at the inner panels or under the boot's carpet - u will be surprised :D and going at speeds is quite frustrating since sound begins to annoy really bad. Skoda has normal sound insulation, nothing fancy, but at least there's some and it not bad.

Sound system. Opel doesnt have any sound system options, while Skoda does. When you add Skoda's better sound system with sound insulation - it's clearly a winner here :)

In the end I went for Opel because of the looks, newer model and a bit better image then Skoda. Such nonsense as non existent sound insulation can be overcome by doing it yourself :) So yes, i would suggest u go for Opel since it's much much much better place to be in and look at then Skoda :)

P.s. All we have different expectations and needs, but since you are in Opel/Vauxhall forum - people tend to be biased towards it :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think my Astra SRi 1.4 is actually pretty quiet despite having the MY2016.5 model with Acoustic Pack removed but I'm coming from a series of old Vauxhalls (Cavalier, Vectra, Tigra and Zafira) so can't comment on the competition.

Have a look at the Cabin and Boot Space section of my review for thoughts on using it for a family of four or five. Kids don't need that much stuff and your can always add a roof box for the rare occasion you need it for a holiday. For everyday use and shopping the Astra is fine.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kristis said:
Hi ant welcome ;)

Great question u have there :) I had a similar thoughts and i was choosing among: Opel Astra, Skoda Octavia, Renault Megane (new), Peugeot 308, VW Golf, Toyota Auris hybrid. In the end it come down to Opel and Skoda too.

My main arguments for a car ware: must not have any bad image associated (Skoda, was a looser in this since their fraud with diesels), good petrol engine (Skoda does not have good options here), should look and have a image of ordinary working man car and not be associated with any luxury (i have my own reasons), good value for money (Opel is a winner here), residual values (again, Opel) and be more fun to drive (Opel is a winner here too).

Also Opel is a newer model, thus it's facelift will happen later while Octavia should receive its first facelift by the end of this year. Thus i would have been buying a dated car already :)

Build quality is more or less the same. I still find strange how Opel cut so many corners with cheapness of "non essential parts". For example carpet in Astra is super cheap and screaming low quality while Skoda has a bit more common carpet.

But the biggest plus for Skoda is sound insulation. Astra literally has NO SOUND INSULATION, absolutely nothing, just open the boot and look at the inner panels or under the boot's carpet - u will be surprised :D and going at speeds is quite frustrating since sound begins to annoy really bad. Skoda has normal sound insulation, nothing fancy, but at least there's some and it not bad.

Sound system. Opel doesnt have any sound system options, while Skoda does. When you add Skoda's better sound system with sound insulation - it's clearly a winner here :)

In the end I went for Opel because of the looks, newer model and a bit better image then Skoda. Such nonsense as non existent sound insulation can be overcome by doing it yourself :) So yes, i would suggest u go for Opel since it's much much much better place to be in and look at then Skoda :)

P.s. All we have different expectations and needs, but since you are in Opel/Vauxhall forum - people tend to be biased towards it :D
Thank you Kristis for your reply! :) I'm also interested in Megane (new), but have seen only Gt line so far, not the Intense energy Trim I'm interested in. When I see it, I could say more about that car (the precise specs of equipment that go with that trim). Also, I think the Megane has a little bigger trunk than the Astra. Since I'm 193 cm tall and have about 100kg, I can not fit comfortably in most cars, so the space in the cabin, driver seat and the leg room (since I have every long legs) was very important to me when selecting cars. There was an car show in my country few weeks ago, so I could test the comfort of every model considering that price range. I was also interested in 308, but I had very little space in the cabin, so it didn't get good ratings from me. :) Otherwise, nice car! Went to see Toyota Corolla, but I found the interior rather cheap (highest trim level) and not so intuitive, so it got bad ratings also, although it is enough spacious inside and the trunk is large. VW Golf is more expensive than others, so I didn't give it much attention to be honest (and the design of Golf is a bit dull for my taste).

I had 1.4 petrol engine 150 hp Astra on my test drive, and I didn't notice much noise to be honest. However, I didn't drive the diesel, since they didn't had diesel test vehicle, so I don't know if that engine is much louder than the petrol one. Also, I'm very intrigued by that Vat link and sound insulation topic, I can not believe the trick Opel has used. In my city, dealers have few Astras, but I don't know if those are with Vat link and sound insulation, since I haven't checked this forum before my test drive. It seems like a better deal to buy a car from their stock if it has Vat and SI, than to order and get one without them. I think I could compensate and choose the color I don't quite like (sovereign silver) (they have Astra in that color on stock), in order to get VAT and SI.

·
Registered
573 Posts
We are similar height yet i weight a tad less. But Astra is superb for our height and should be much much better for your weight then Skoda ;) Octavia has narrower and more sporty seats, while Astra seats are wider thus not as sporty. As for your other remarks - i completely agree :)

That acoustic pack is still a mystery, as people only say about the bonnet, but i do tend to think that there was something removed in the back too :) Bonnet soundproofing for 1.4t engine was not needed either way as that engine is very very quiet.

Skoda is offering few days testdrive, at least in my country, maybe you would be able to take it and have a better comparison of both vehicles then?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I found the Astra K quieter than Octavia, Golf and Focus, which I tested as a comparison to new Astra. But I know it's very subjective. I think that even Astra J is quieter than Octavia. In Finland we use studded winter tires, which put sound insulation to ultimate test.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would wait and test drive a sport tourer version. If you like that, then you have best of both worlds in that you have the Astra and plenty of room for kids stuff.

To be honest, no matter how big the car is when you have kids it's never big enough :lol:

I used to have an Insignia Sports Tourer and I have 1 daughter and even then the car could be completely full of stuff if we were going on holiday!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@kristis - The thing is that the official dealers of Skoda in my town don't have Octavia test vehicle, and have all other models.. It's just nonsense. :D Like they are not willing to have the Octavia (in general) tested, I'm not really sure what's that about.. I will go to another town in a few days and try the car there, since they have the test vehicle available. I find the seats in both car comfortable, but I didn't spent much time in either of them, so I can't judge on what's it like after some longer journeys.

@otj - Thanks for your comment and opinion. :)

@MarcR - Thanks for the advice MarcR, but honestly I'm not a big fan of a sport tourer (caravan) edition of cars, or big cars in general. Octavia is big, 30 cm longer than Astra, but it has a very good design and that's why it doesn't seem to bother me, I guess.. And I totally understand that luggage situation, and for the exact reason I'm in this dilemma. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
Im in charge of our company cars and most of them are Octavias, few Superbs and few Fabias.
To be honest, Octavia used to be fantastic car, high quality, could say it kept the price high even after years. Well made engine, interior and all... However, that doesnt go for the new models. Cheap made plastic interior squeeking after few months, boring panel, shit firmware... To be honest, I did and would go again for the Astra. Because its way cheaper and better looking. Expecting mine any day now :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
juraj.domankus said:
Hi,
Im in charge of our company cars and most of them are Octavias, few Superbs and few Fabias.
To be honest, Octavia used to be fantastic car, high quality, could say it kept the price high even after years. Well made engine, interior and all... However, that doesnt go for the new models. Cheap made plastic interior squeeking after few months, boring panel, shit firmware... To be honest, I did and would go again for the Astra. Because its way cheaper and better looking. Expecting mine any day now :)
Thanks for your opinion Juraj! I find the interior quite nice (talking about Elegance-Style Trim) on the first look and touch, don't know its behavior after few months.. Can you tell me a bit more information and your experience about engines Octavia has (tsi and tdi)? I've heard some information that TDI isn't so good for only city driving, because of DPF filter? Is that an issue? Does Astra diesel engine has that DPF filter?

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
All modern diesels have DPF :) Diesel was never meant for city traffic. It's a stop-gap solution due to the climate change, it has lower CO2 levels but has insane amount of cancerous gases and currently there's finally a push to ban them in the cities (Paris, London, Rome) ;) Thus diesel is good in short term expenditure on gas and climate warming but bad for health especially long-term. But this is just off topic.

All diesels will suffer DPF clogging if used in the city traffic. It doesnt matter if it's Opel or Skoda :) If u do only city routes, then petrol is way better as it has lower running costs and initial cost is much lower (u will not need to cover a lot of KM's to recoup the extra cost) + u will not have problems with DPF and come injector clogging time to time.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kristis said:
All modern diesels have DPF :) Diesel was never meant for city traffic. It's a stop-gap solution due to the climate change, it has lower CO2 levels but has insane amount of cancerous gases and currently there's finally a push to ban them in the cities (Paris, London, Rome) ;) Thus diesel is good in short term expenditure on gas and climate warming but bad for health especially long-term. But this is just off topic.

All diesels will suffer DPF clogging if used in the city traffic. It doesnt matter if it's Opel or Skoda :) If u do only city routes, then petrol is way better as it has lower running costs and initial cost is much lower (u will not need to cover a lot of KM's to recoup the extra cost) + u will not have problems with DPF and come injector clogging time to time.
I understand.. Thanks Kristis! :) Are you pleased with your Astra? :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
It has its short comings but its a fantastic everyday car ;) im still surprised how much attention i get in the streets with it which i didnt expect... :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Definitely agreed with Kristis... Diesel is not for city driving at all... And to answer your question about Octavias.... They are stunning cars and definitely very reliable. Diesel or Petrol. Its a part of Volkswagen concern so there is really no doubt about the engines... However...The interior is boring. Few years they havent done any much changes - its nothing eye catching. I would say its just basic...When it comes to compatibility with phones, or apps on the display nothing fancy...
Skoda Octavia is one of the most reliable cars out there, for drivers who just drive because they need to drive, not because they want to drive....Thats why I chose Astra. Because i love to drive... :)
As they say - The beauty lies within the eye of the beholder. So you have to think of the reasons why you want to get a new car and what do you expect from it. I expected good price, entertainment, exceptional lights because i drive a lot at dark, and fuel consumption, because it affects my monthly budget seeing i travel to work and do 70 miles a day just for that...Astra satisfied all of my expectations so I ordered one. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@juraj Are you sure that Astra has lower fuel consumption than Octavia (comparing the 1.6 diesel engines on both)? :) What is the fuel consumption on diesel and petrol engine on Astra? My questions are, of course, about real consumption, not the one on the BC or catalogue.
I understand all the things you say, however I won't be driving only in city, I will be going to country side and having some trips outside the city. Diesel car (in my country at least) has a better resale value afterwards, it's easier to sell, and has lower fuel consumption than petrol engine after all, in general. So those are my reasons for choosing diesel engine.
Considering interior design, as I said, I find both great, Astra with a more sporty touch and Octavia with a bit more classy style of design. :) But as you said, the beauty lies within the eye of the beholder, so I think there is no need comparing design stuff. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I really don't like the central console of the new Megane.... I can't quite put my finger on the styling of it but it just doesn't look right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In that case, go for Octavia diesel. VW always knew how to make those engines (except few mistakes with AUDI 2,5l engine etc.) If you dont mind the interior and want to keep the resale value plus you want a reliable car, go for it.
Im griding my teeth while saying that here whilst waiting for my Astra to come any day, however I do wish for you to make the decision right for you. I dont know anything about Megane, this will be my first Opel, but I do know Octavias quite well...
Fuel consumptions:
Petrol: 7-7,5l/100km combined...
Diesel: 6l/100km combined...

And i will leave Kristis to answer your question regarding fuel consumption of Astra. I cant tell you seeing I still havent got mine yet...

BUT COMING NEXT WEEK! :) cant wait...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts