Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

So this was a very disappointing day.
I realised today that the build in nav has maps which does not include a local highway which have existed for at least two years.

Can anyone with prior opel experience tell a little about what can be expected regarding the frequency for map updates and what they cost?

Should it not be reasonable to expect a new car with an up to date map!!!
:-(

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thomasbk said:
Hi

So this was a very disappointing day.
I realised today that the build in nav has maps which does not include a local highway which have existed for at least two years.

Can anyone with prior opel experience tell a little about what can be expected regarding the frequency for map updates and what they cost?

Should it not be reasonable to expect a new car with an up to date map!!!
:-(
Hi

Yes it is reasonable to expect that.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
That's one reason I didn't bother with the Nav model. It's crazy, you can buy a seperate Tomtom with lifetime maps for about £70 yet GM want several hundred pounds for the nav, and then charge for new maps. I've just looked and to update the maps on a 2012 Astra would be £149!

·
Registered
73 Posts
1900sr said:
That's one reason I didn't bother with the Nav model. It's crazy, you can buy a seperate Tomtom with lifetime maps for about £70 yet GM want several hundred pounds for the nav, and then charge for new maps. I've just looked and to update the maps on a 2012 Astra would be £149!
Exactly, why use a laggy, massively over priced nav when google maps is the best there is :?

I guess thats the reason they throw in other features as a package.

G

·
ZappyPayload said:
1900sr said:
Exactly, why use a laggy, massively over priced nav when google maps is the best there is :?

Likewise. It will be Android auto + Google maps for me. I don't use nav that often so I spent the cash on the sensors and Winter Pack instead!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also opted not to have the navigation system and intend to rely on Google maps.

One thing however that does kinda niggle at the back of my mind. The different screen size.

I have looked at quite a few reviews online and frankly the 8 inch screen does look significantly better than the 7 inch. Also (I believe) the vehicle info screen is different and looks better. Since I dont actually have my car yet I can't really say if the above is true but just can't help feeling that perhaps I should have gone for the NAV. Not because of the maps but a better quality unit.

Hopefully Im wrong and the 7 inch is as good as the 8 inch :) .

·
Registered
42 Posts
My biggest disappointment with my Astra is the satnav, my 5 year old TomTom is far superior in its programming and intelligence and the traffic avoidance is a joke. The TomTom would often take me routes that appeared baffling, but if I ever overrode its route I would inevitably get stuck in traffic. The satnav in the Astra only alerts me of traffic after I've already been stuck in it for 15minutes.

I should note that this is far from an issue exclusive to the Astra or Vauxhall, every built in satnav I've ever experienced has been poor, I just foolishly expected/hoped a 2016 model would've caught up with TomTom tech from half a decade ago.

·
Registered
280 Posts
M1chaelR said:
ZappyPayload said:
1900sr said:

Likewise. It will be Android auto + Google maps for me. I don't use nav that often so I spent the cash on the sensors and Winter Pack instead!
Yes, but you can't use OnStar to send Nav directions to third party Nav units. I have used this facility a couple of times and found it to be very useful!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Chewy123 said:
I also opted not to have the navigation system and intend to rely on Google maps.

One thing however that does kinda niggle at the back of my mind. The different screen size.

I have looked at quite a few reviews online and frankly the 8 inch screen does look significantly better than the 7 inch. Also (I believe) the vehicle info screen is different and looks better. Since I dont actually have my car yet I can't really say if the above is true but just can't help feeling that perhaps I should have gone for the NAV. Not because of the maps but a better quality unit.

Hi

The driver infformation screen is in colour if you have the 8" screen.

Cheers

Paul

G

·
Chewy123 said:

I think it the 7 inch looks just as good to be honest and I think the button cluster just below it looks a little tidier too imo. The colour screen looks more detailed on the nav version but as long as all the info is there on the monochrome one then i'm happy. This YouTube video shows the 7inch screen off nicely and it seems to work very well, responsive etc:

G

·
MarcR said:
Yes, but you can't use OnStar to send Nav directions to third party Nav units. I have used this facility a couple of times and found it to be very useful!
That is one feature that would be nice to have. Hopefully speaking to Google Now might provide a similar experience lol

·
Registered
280 Posts
M1chaelR said:
MarcR said:
That is one feature that would be nice to have. Hopefully speaking to Google Now might provide a similar experience lol
Maybe! Onstar is good when you are in a city /town that you dont know and can press the button and ask "can you find me a car park nearby?" etc.

G

·
MarcR said:
M1chaelR said:
MarcR said:
Maybe! Onstar is good when you are in a city /town that you dont know and can press the button and ask "can you find me a car park nearby?" etc.
That's cool. Looking forward to giving it all a good work out. A couple of weeks to go hopefully!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts