Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just wanted to make you all aware of the new set-up with Vauxhall Astra K's, Viva's and Mokka's as of Model Year 2016. This will soon follow for all Vauxhall models. It applies for all Viva's & Astra K's from the outset but not for older Mokka's.

On previous Vauxhall models to order a replacement key you needed the key code (usually began with a Z such as Z1234). This was included within the Service Book Pack as what is known as a 'Car Pass'. This included the radio code/security code and key code. The key code allows the Service Advisor/Parts Advisor to order the correct mechanical key for your car and the security code allows the technician/mechanic to access the ECU and program the key.

As of Model Year 2016 for the above vehicles the security code is no longer supplied to customers and is obtained by a dealer from the central server at GM. In essence Vauxhall only want Main Dealers programming keys and not independent garages. The software required to obtain the security codes is only available to dealerships with the correct login information and subscription to Vauxhall/GM.

For example:

In the future lets say 3 years down the line you lose the spare key for your new Astra K. You want to order a replacement key. Previously if you had lost the Car Pass you needed to first order this from Vauxhall for the value of approximately £25. This is no longer the case. The immobiliser/security code is obtained by the technician during the programming process. The only thing not available is the key code. This key code is still provided by Vauxhall but your Salesman may not have mentioned it to you. Attached to your spare key when you purchase the vehicle will be a black tag with a bar code on it and some numbers underneath. The number beginning with Z is your key code. This is unique to your car in combination with the security code so I would recommend writing it in the service book in the appropriate place if this was not done at Pre-Delivery Inspection stage.

Just a heads up so you can enjoy your new Astra K in the future with minimum of fuss! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
ArcanumFox said:
Hi All,

I just wanted to make you all aware of the new set-up with Vauxhall Astra K's, Viva's and Mokka's as of Model Year 2016. This will soon follow for all Vauxhall models. It applies for all Viva's & Astra K's from the outset but not for older Mokka's.

On previous Vauxhall models to order a replacement key you needed the key code (usually began with a Z such as Z1234). This was included within the Service Book Pack as what is known as a 'Car Pass'. This included the radio code/security code and key code. The key code allows the Service Advisor/Parts Advisor to order the correct mechanical key for your car and the security code allows the technician/mechanic to access the ECU and program the key.

As of Model Year 2016 for the above vehicles the security code is no longer supplied to customers and is obtained by a dealer from the central server at GM. In essence Vauxhall only want Main Dealers programming keys and not independent garages. The software required to obtain the security codes is only available to dealerships with the correct login information and subscription to Vauxhall/GM.

For example:

In the future lets say 3 years down the line you lose the spare key for your new Astra K. You want to order a replacement key. Previously if you had lost the Car Pass you needed to first order this from Vauxhall for the value of approximately £25. This is no longer the case. The immobiliser/security code is obtained by the technician during the programming process. The only thing not available is the key code. This key code is still provided by Vauxhall but your Salesman may not have mentioned it to you. Attached to your spare key when you purchase the vehicle will be a black tag with a bar code on it and some numbers underneath. The number beginning with Z is your key code. This is unique to your car in combination with the security code so I would recommend writing it in the service book in the appropriate place if this was not done at Pre-Delivery Inspection stage.

Just a heads up so you can enjoy your new Astra K in the future with minimum of fuss! :)
I've just taken my car into a dealer to have the refusal to lock problem (amongst others) looked at, and they've asked for the car pass. I explained what you've said about it not being supplied, and they'd not heard of it. I then phoned my supplying dealer service department who told me the pass should be in the book pack (it isn't). They have however got a note of the immobiliser code on their system, so have kindly passed it onto the dealer who has the car. All very strange.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
1900sr said:
I've just taken my car into a dealer to have the refusal to lock problem (amongst others) looked at, and they've asked for the car pass. I explained what you've said about it not being supplied, and they'd not heard of it. I then phoned my supplying dealer service department who told me the pass should be in the book pack (it isn't). They have however got a note of the immobiliser code on their system, so have kindly passed it onto the dealer who has the car. All very strange.
ArcanumFox is spot on. My K came with the black tag attached to the duplicate key which includes the 'Z' number. I was also provided with the security/radio code by the supplying dealer. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Glad you mentioned it.
I part exchanged and was asked to provide log book with full service history etc. I had the immobiliser and other codes to pass on. Full service history.
When I looked in my new log book the front was not filled in. So, back to the dealer. Took dealer over 20 minutes to track down code for key and for the radio.
Agreed - with technology all should be online but if being cynical seems like a ploy to get you back to the dealer you bought from.
I am usually quite good at keeping things. Don't remember any codes with spare key .There is a tag some numbers on the key but doesn't seem to match anything else.
Suppose the idea is that log books will soon be redundant.
Another thing is that the garages seem to be doing the same thing. The last independant garage I went to with the old car, didn't complete the log book either. I had to go back and get that filled into show my 'full' service history before I traded the car in to Vauxhall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Thank you for this.
I have just bought a Vauxhall astra. I have only one key and I would like to buy a spare one.
However, I would like to get this "key code".
Where can I get the "key code"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
The reason they stopped publishing the key/ car code is to stop people ordering keys and taking your car...
Its an ongoing issue with every car maker...

For instance... On ebay you can order some software that runs a program. You plug it into a cars obd socket and then you start the car and drive off.
You only need the key or access to the car to do this...
Mercedes Sprinters are the hot topic...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
The key in the drivers door usually turns off the alarm....
The software them re-jigs the imobiliser data...
The door key turns the ignition lock off/ ignition on...
Boom its away and your alarm didn't even go off...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Morning.
Is it possible for Vauxhall to fit a used Astra K intellilink unit please?
Car play stopped working on our car after there was a shirt on the usb socket.
The socket isn't fused so it's cooked a diode or something.
Vauxhall have quoted £630 to replace the unit which in a 2016 car like ours only has the .5 amp current supply.
At the moment I can't even find the damn silver box as I could fit a new unit myself I'd it doesn't need programming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,181 Posts
11thastra said:
Morning.
Is it possible for Vauxhall to fit a used Astra K intellilink unit please?
Car play stopped working on our car after there was a shirt on the usb socket.
The socket isn't fused so it's cooked a diode or something.
Vauxhall have quoted £630 to replace the unit which in a 2016 car like ours only has the .5 amp current supply.
At the moment I can't even find the damn silver box as I could fit a new unit myself I'd it doesn't need programming.
Did vauxhall confirm that the ½A from the socket is coming from the HMI box itself.

There has been some debate on, whether it would be enough to change the socket in the armrest, with one from a 2017 onwards and then it would charge at 1A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
astraowner said:
11thastra said:
Morning.
Is it possible for Vauxhall to fit a used Astra K intellilink unit please?
Car play stopped working on our car after there was a shirt on the usb socket.
The socket isn't fused so it's cooked a diode or something.
Vauxhall have quoted £630 to replace the unit which in a 2016 car like ours only has the .5 amp current supply.
At the moment I can't even find the damn silver box as I could fit a new unit myself I'd it doesn't need programming.
Did vauxhall confirm that the ½A from the socket is coming from the HMI box itself.

There has been some debate on, whether it would be enough to change the socket in the armrest, with one from a 2017 onwards and then it would charge at 1A
Hi.
I've just replaced my damaged head unit. A faulty usb fried the usb circuit.
I got a replacement from a 2017 car and it's charging my phone fine, hopefully it's the higher powered supply


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,181 Posts
11thastra said:
I've just replaced my damaged head unit. A faulty usb fried the usb circuit.
I got a replacement from a 2017 car and it's charging my phone fine, hopefully it's the higher powered supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What does "i just changed my headunit" cover ?

I mean, what steps were needed.

Buy box from 2017 MY car.

Install box.

Visit Vauxhall and cross their palm with an unreasonable amount of silver

Or was it just "buy box, install, bob's you'r uncle, everything works without programming" ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Bough LG silver box for £70 off eBay.
Post to DND services with copy of logbook so it can be divorced. £50 + £13 to return.
Install in car.
This was a trial as they Guy hadn't done one of these before.
His listings are for Corsa LG sets however he agreed to have a go.
The price from Vauxhall was £674
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,181 Posts
On older cars the radio needs to be divorced to be able to pair it with another car.

Sounds great if they can do some divorce job that does not require a subsequent pair in the "new" car it goes into.

But then again...If he can do it, the Polish car thieves can probably also do it, and then the security that should prevent theft, is not worth a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
They probably could however he records the serial numbers plus wants a copy of your car logbook.
I doubt whether it would be worth stealing from the car driven the time it toook me to remove it!!
I'm not 100% sure if he actually did anything, I presume he did though as it works😁
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top