Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up my Astra tues over the moon by far the best Astra to date only one issue with trying to get cable for the phone holder no stock in uk and it costs just under 30 quid but to be fair my dealer has agreed to supply it for free top marks to them vx customer care were no help at all

·
Registered
495 Posts
Have you got a pic of the phone holder been thinking about getting it but then you can't use the apple car play as the phone needs to be plug into USB for it to work

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have the power flex bar as its standard in the elite which mean the space you have to put your phone isn't as big as the Sri but what I can't work out is if you get the phone holder you can plug you phone in and charge it but you still need a connection to the USB in the armrest as Apple car play isn't wireless

Personally I think the USB is in the wrong place should have put it in the dash like the gtc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
with the phone holder you need to get a connection cable from vx but it's a mini usb so at the moment I am using the usb in arm rest until dealer gets the new cable over the moon with the car 1.4 150 Sri with park assist and power bar /phone holder just need to reduce tyre pressure to 32 psi

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yeah my tyre pressures are around 37 psi

It won't matter what cable the dealers get as I have a micro USB to lightning adaptor what I'm saying is the power flex bar will only give the holder power to charge the phone and you can use Bluetooth but you still need to hook the phone up to the USB in the arm rest to use apple CarPlay unless I have read the manual wrong

As it stands at the moment apple CarPlay doesn't work wireless I don't think

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Apple do support wireless CarPlay now - it was introduced in iOS 9 but I suspect not many head units support it:

http://www.carplaylife.com/how-to/how-to-enable-wireless-apple-carplay/

I'd be interested to know if it works in the New Astra but I doubt it. Of course Vauxhall may support it in a future software update even if they don't today. Does the manual say anything about software updates?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have done a lot of reading about Apple CarPlay and sadly doesn't look like Vauxhall support wireless CarPlay at the moment but that may change in the future

·
Registered
360 Posts
Can the Powerflex bar be retrofitted or does it have to be ordered with the car and factory fitted?

·
Registered
495 Posts
just a shame Apple play isn't wireless yet or I would have purchased the phone holder

Plus the phone holder doesn't come with a lightning cable to micro USB

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sort of defeats the point of having a powered holder if you then have to run the USB from the armrest

Why they didn't just put the USB in the dash somewhere like the gtc

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes, that is disappointing. I guess they might argue that you don't need to see the phone or access it when using CarPlay so it can be plugged into the arm rest USB?

Does the iPhone display anything when CarPlay is in use?

Wireless CarPlay is fairly recent so let's hope Vauxhall support it via a software update.

When I first saw the phone holder I assumed it contained a built-in Lightining plug for the iPhone to push onto (like Apple's new Battery Extender case) - having a lead at all is a bit clumsy.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The only thing you can do is buy the micro USB to lightning cable which is an additional extra from Vauxhall at a cost of £30 or you can use the cable that comes with the phone holder and Apple make a micro USB to lightning adaptor for about £15 I think

It says in the manual that CarPlay locks your phone when active but I can honestly say my iPhone 6 the bar at the top goes blue and you get the CarPlay symbol and it comes up Apple car play for a few seconds but I could still use my phone perfectly fine whilst plugged in

Have to admit I often put the phone On top of the sliding cup holder cover in my elite whilst connected but I have forgot its plugged in a few times and left the car and had to go back for my phone

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I've been putting my Android phone inside the armrest when using Android auto. I've even managed to remember to take the phone back out when I've left the car.

It is disappointing that there is only one USB input in the car, especially as my stereo lists two USB inputs on the source screen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.